2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
Originally Posted by keystring
Maybe some kids have iPods and cell phones. Others are hoping for a decent pair of shoes. What you guys describe does not reflect reality.

It may very well depend on where you live; where I live it most definitely reflects MY reality.

Most of my students have a lot of 'stuff' (iPods, cell phones, video games, the latest electronics). Their parents frequent Starbucks at least twice a week, eat out a lot, have iPhones, huge flat screen tvs, and drive newer cars.

So maybe you should reserve your judgment on some other teacher and their students. You don't know where they come from.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Canonie

What about the violation of copying the one pesky page? (Yes, I think I know your answer John, but at least I'm thinking seriously through the issues smile ).

I'm still interested in anyone else's thoughts, especially perhaps from those who give a copy of a new piece then buy the book in the next week (a technical violation that results in the same number of book purchases).

The law is illogical in a lot of cases. I'll tell you something that you will probably laugh at. In one particular country, if you go onto somebody else's property (=trespassing), and if you peek in their bedroom, and if you find them engaged in "unnatural" sex, THEY get prosecuted if you go to the police, not you.

So all this copyright talk that's discussed here is not really because people think its the right thing to do (as John "explained" via some arguments that I don't fully understand). This discussion exists because nobody wants to get caught and pay huge fines. Now, if you copy one page, who is going to know, seriously?

If you still don't want to copy that one page, couldn't you borrow a book from a music library or something? Its useful to be a student in a university. I get to borrow all the books I need. I buy books too but only the ones I'm sure I'll use for a long time.

M. Katchur
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"Originally Posted By: Canonie
Advice needed
But I do have one dilemma - I haven't made a copy yet, but this particular case makes me want to.

Student desperately wants to learn a piece that is too hard, we wait 6 months and now she has a better chance. I have bought a book with the piece in for $50, but since this piece is hard i would quite like the chance to look at it between lessons. I have read it through a few times but there is a section that needs a little practice from me. We are scheduled to start the piece this week (as long as she's done the prep home work laugh ) and the temptation for me is to lend her the book but keep a photocopy for me for the duration of learning, and when she is finished with piece she can return book and I won't need copy any more. Or I can sell the family the book to keep, and i use copy for duration as above."

It sounds like a nice thing to suggest to the family as a present for the student, on some special occasion.

Our city library offers books of scores. If your student's doesn't have this one, there are inter-library loans, if you have the time to be a bit patient. I just got an e-mail that a biography of Scriabin came in to my nearby branch library. There are few in print; this one would have cost $120.

I think one of the main reasons libraries were established is that they anticipated the needs of students like yours.

It seems more likely to me that the holders of copyrights might be somewhat more indulgent in the case of a young student who photocopies a score from a library (many are out-of-print anyway, and the library doesn't want you marking up their books for a work copy), and much less for a teacher--- old enough to know better--- who is a gross violator and the setter of a bad example.

Have your student take a look at the online sites like IMSLP. Being a teacher is about giving them tools, including the tool of ethical conduct--- and resourcefulness.

I'm tempted to write a check for your student myself.

Clef

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bitWrangler
Whether or not kids have ipods or the economy sucks is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. The copying of copyrighted materials for the purposes of redistribution (paid for or not) is illegal without explicit granting of such rights to do so from the copyright holder. It doesn't matter how much money or how many xbox games the student does or does not have. All this other stuff is noise.

That said, from a practical standpoint, doing things like making a copy to give to the student to use while they await their paid for version or performing off of a copy while a judge has the original is stuff that does happen and will likely continue to happen.

This is it in a nutshell.

Appeals to poverty just don't wash. We're not talking about Javert hunting down Valjean here. As a number of sensible people have noted, there are many legitimate ways to hold down the cost of music, including buying used works and working through IMSLP.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Originally Posted by bitWrangler
Whether or not kids have ipods or the economy sucks is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. The copying of copyrighted materials for the purposes of redistribution (paid for or not) is illegal without explicit granting of such rights to do so from the copyright holder. It doesn't matter how much money or how many xbox games the student does or does not have. All this other stuff is noise.

That said, from a practical standpoint, doing things like making a copy to give to the student to use while they await their paid for version or performing off of a copy while a judge has the original is stuff that does happen and will likely continue to happen.

This is it in a nutshell.

Appeals to poverty just don't wash. We're not talking about Javert hunting down Valjean here. As a number of sensible people have noted, there are many legitimate ways to hold down the cost of music, including buying used works and working through IMSLP.

But buying a $50 book for working on 1 page of it for a couple of weeks? Come on now, common sense has to kick in at some point in time!

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by trillingadventurer

Thanks. An excerpt from that webpage:

C. EDUCATIONAL USE OF COPYRIGHTED MUSIC

May I copy selected pages of sheet music out of several books and assemble my own collection for the private use of my students?
No. Each work from a collection or compilation of musical works is protected by copyright. Therefore, you cannot copy any performable unit and place it in your own collection. This is true regardless of the fact that you are not distributing the collection, but only using it privately for your students. Any copying of the performable works would constitute an infringement. Therefore, if you copied 20 separate works and assembled them in an instruction book for your students, you would have committed 20 different acts of copyright infringement.

I have taken excerpts from musical compositions and made copies for my students. Is this permissible?
As noted above, you may not copy a performable unit even for educational use. You may, however, copy excerpts of works for educational purposes. Under guidelines approved by several music educational associations, including MTNA, it is suggested that an excerpt not constitute any more than 10% of the whole work.
When copying the excerpt, music instructors may make one copy per pupil. Therefore, if you are teaching ten students, you may make ten copies of the excerpt for academic purposes.

I have made copies of several excerpts of musical compositions for educational purposes. Each is less then 10% of the entire work. May I sell these copies to my students?

Yes. You may charge the students, but only to recoup your out-of-pocket copying charges. You may not charge to students beyond the costs you paid to copy the materials.

What about the questions (and the corresponding answers) marked in bold above? Doesn't it say that you are allowed to copy less than 10% of the work for educational purposes? So you should feel free to copy that one page (or a couple of pages) to use it to prepare for your lesson with that student.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don't think so. Although the entire volume is copyrighted, so are the individual works contained within. If she copies an entire work, she violates the copyright law.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
She wanted to work on a few pages, from what I understand, not the entire piece (it would be great to have the entire piece of course, but that clearly seems to be a violation. I'm not talking about ethical issues here, we all have various opinions on that, I'm talking solely about what the law says). If those few pages constitute less than 10% of the entire work (piece), I guess its legitimate to copy those pages? That is what I could understand from the quotes I got from that webpage.

But buying a $50 book for working on 1 page of it for a couple of weeks? Come on now, common sense has to kick in at some point in time!

A teacher who requires a student to buy a $50 book in order to work on one page of it is indeed lacking in common sense. The one-page snippet may come under fair use, and thus not be much of an issue. But the answer in general is not to break copyright law because you feel like it. This is situational ethics of a bad sort, in my view.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by liszt85
She wanted to work on a few pages, from what I understand, not the entire piece (it would be great to have the entire piece of course, but that clearly seems to be a violation. I'm not talking about ethical issues here, we all have various opinions on that, I'm talking solely about what the law says). If those few pages constitute less than 10% of the entire work (piece), I guess its legitimate to copy those pages? That is what I could understand from the quotes I got from that webpage.

You need to reread her post. She wants to work on an entire selection contained within a compilation.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
A teacher who requires a student to buy a $50 book in order to work on one page of it is indeed lacking in common sense. The one-page snippet may come under fair use, and thus not be much of an issue. But the answer in general is not to break copyright law because you feel like it. This is situational ethics of a bad sort, in my view.

Actually, strings teachers run into this problem every year. The string pieces are one or two pages, so the "10%" rule won't even cover the photocopying of three lines of music. And the strings books are notoriously expensive.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
I guess I don't get it. Strings teachers don't just "run into this problem." It's their choice to make students use one line of work A and two lines of work B instead of using the entire work A or the entire work B.

Perhaps there is something wrong with a teacher whose choices force a student into:

a) spending through the nose on music, most of which will not be used, or

b) violating copyright law.

Is the practice music out there really so crappy that strings teachers are forced to search for the occasional pearl among the rocks? Or are they just oblivious to the financial burden they impose?

You know, if strings teachers really are forced in some pedagogical sense, then there is a tremendous profit opportunity out there for someone familiar with these pedagogical issues to write the etude book that everyone will use! smile

P.S. I guess I'm most familiar with the horn practice rep. Everyone acquires Oscar Franz etudes and concert etudes, Gallay etudes and duets, and Kopprasch etudes. All standard fare for a rising horn player.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I think you misunderstood. In this case, the teacher wants the student to study an entire piece. The book costs $50 (it probably contains other nice pieces that the student can study at some point). The question asked here was if she needed to buy another book for herself because she wanted to prepare for her lesson. She seems to want to work on specific sections of the piece to prepare for her lesson and wanted to know if she could just copy a few pages of the piece to be able to work on it in time for the lesson (while the new book would be in the possession of the student). John, did I understand this right so far? I know the initial post might have implied a question regarding copying the entire piece, which we've all established is an infringement. What I'm saying here is that, she could just copy the few pages that she really needs to work on (as she implied she had identified sections that needed more work). As long as that's less than 10% of the entire piece, it should be fine.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Canonie
Advice needed
But I do have one dilemma - I haven't made a copy yet, but this particular case makes me want to.

Student desperately wants to learn a piece that is too hard, we wait 6 months and now she has a better chance. I have bought a book with the piece in for $50, but since this piece is hard i would quite like the chance to look at it between lessons. I have read it through a few times but there is a section that needs a little practice from me. We are scheduled to start the piece this week (as long as she's done the prep home work laugh ) and the temptation for me is to lend her the book but keep a photocopy for me for the duration of learning, and when she is finished with piece she can return book and I won't need copy any more.
Or I can sell the family the book to keep, and i use copy for duration as above.

I am very committed to this student and her dream piece, it is absolutely the right thing for her, but I don't want to hack through the piece. I can't learn a piece like this in an afternoon while working on my own exam pieces with my own teacher (you know what I mean!). I am a little anxious about teaching this level of piece as it seems like only yesterday that my students were all beginners.

But buying 2 books at $100, and what if no-one else ever learns anything else from the book. Maybe we'll both love the piece so much that in the end we'll both buy a copy, but I'm not committed to the piece for my own rep just yet. At this stage none of the other pieces in the book seem useful (either I already have them or not tempted, but haven't listened/played all of them.

Thank you for advice and sorry for thread side trip (but I've written it all now!)

John, if you look at the part above marked in red, you will see why I think she should just copy out that section.

The part marked in black bold is what makes people think its illogical to spend $50 on a book if it contains just a few useful pages. Couldn't you either find a used book or another book that's more useful in its entirety? (Especially if you want the student to buy it). Else, if the book will be useful to the student in its entirety (as you've only said that it wouldn't be useful to you), sell it to the student by all means. However, copy out only a small section of that piece, that you need to work on. Do not copy the entire piece.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I interpreted that as meaning a section of the book, ie, one piece, but your interpretation makes a lot of sense as well - and is probably what she meant.

In any event, didn't the guidelines say not to copy more than 10%, so she needs to be really careful, if she wants to be scrupulous about following the law.

Originally Posted by liszt85
I think you misunderstood.

Actually, I was responding to AZN here, not to the original question.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Even so, I don't think AZN was talking about assigning students one or two lines of work A and a few lines of work B. AZN, I think, was saying that works A and B are usually 1-2 pages long each, and they appear in compilations that are usually very expensive. So they are stuck with having to buy these expensive books to be able to use just 2-3 pages of it to study that particular piece.

keystring,

What is your point? That because string teachers choose music in a particular way, and because there are no cheap editions that compile the things that they want in one volume, then they and their students should feel that they are above copyright law? That would indeed be situational ethics of the sort I would dislike.

edit: I seem to have responded to a comment by keystring that she just removed.

Last edited by Piano*Dad; 02/15/11 10:20 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry not to reply earlier to clarify: The book has 14 pieces, the piece we will use has 8 pages, 10% of which I have in the meantime decided to copy for study purposes. My local library doesn't support much sheet music at all, the university library is for students and staff only I believe.

Just to give a bit more of the story. When student was first interested I said that they could search for and buy the music (shop or online) and to take care to get correct opus number etc. I usually buy the music for students but was in no hurry with this one, if I bought her a copy she'd want to start asap. They reported not being able to find it. I taught her about IMSLP and set her homework task to find and print score, she said it wasn't there.

Time passed, then I thought ok now it is time to buy this Carrot of a piece so I took it on myself, found it in a compilation for the grade and bought it. Usually at this point the student's family reimburses me and I give them the book, no problems. btw the $50 is not a problem for them (emotionally I mean) because I am strict and informative from the first lessons with this issue and always insist on books. And $50 dollars for a "dying-to-play" piece is not a problem for me either.

When this student joined me last year I warned her and parents that she was playing way too well to be my student, but they ignored my advice and booked in. The challenges of beginning to teach more difficult rep is for another thread.

And now for the thoroughly embarrassing conclusion.... it's on IMSLP blush blush Perhaps it wasn't last year, perhaps like many students they don't figure out how to navigate the site at first.
But my computer crashed as i tried to download yesty... but it's there for my reference. Mind you, I find the editing and layout etc to be excellent in the book I've bought, and for a family that is not struggling I wouldn't deny them use of the best edition just to save some $. It's her music and her life, I think they would agree with me because it's an attitude I teach by example and words.

I appreciate all the thoughtful discussion. In truth, I photocopy music nearly every week, but I have permission from the copyright holder grin

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission