2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,170 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elysia
If they are not interested in piano sometimes your hard work and effort can be overlooked. I find with alot of people that have no knowledge in piano or music, wether it be a spouse or friend, or aquaintance. It is assumed by many that we just sit down and should play...no work involved. So I think it would be nice if the spouse knew enough to appreciate you [...]

Yes, Elysia! Yes, -Frycek! I would love it if my wife (of 25 years this month! laugh ) listened with rapt attention as I poured out my heart for her at the keyboard, then fawned all over me with hands and lips and gushing appreciation for the care with which I gave every touch and tone. Instead, she says, walking past me from here to there while I'm playing the piano, "That's Bach, right?" And I say with a sigh, "No, it's Mozart..." Alas, she is not a very deep musical appreciator. It wasn't until I asked her to read a few selected threads on Piano World where people were getting into the nitty gritty about interpretation and articulation and such, that she really started to appreciate what I am attempting to do at the keyboard and the time I spend doing it. Sometimes, I hear her in another room "La-la"-ing the melodies of the things I play (either while I'm playing or after), and that is enough to warm my heart... smile

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
C
C
Absolutely!

J
J_D Offline
J
As long as mine can hit high C on occasion, I am happy!
I hope I don't get banned for this post.

Last edited by J_D; 02/13/11 09:45 AM.

J.D.
Hailun 178
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by J_D
As long as mine can hit high C on occasion, I am happy!
I hope I don't get banned for this post.

whistle

Well, whoever thinks dating another pianist is bad is missing out on so much. Both my bf and I are pianists. In a few years we're going to be hunting for the same types of jobs. He's way better than me.. but it has had SUCH benefits on my playing, I've learned so much. And, he's a solo player and I know I'll be doing more chamber. Plus he likes my playing (or so he says)... and we're not afraid to be critical as heck on each other - it's fun actually (unless it goes as far as slamming doors and the silent treatment haha). We get to have conversations non-music couples don't have, we get to go to concerts together all the time (that is, when we're in the same country..........), and the cool thing is, we've shared some teachers over the years. So it's very interesting. The best thing is, we get to play piano duos for concerts and stuff, which is my favourite, favourite favourite type of chamber!

Of course it's not all pink and roses, and you will ultimately get compared. But as long as you both honestly know where you are, why should it matter? There will always be people who are better than you anyway.

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 02/13/11 10:07 AM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
W
W
I like her to be good anywhere wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
They just gotta have a very very large... piano.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
so size does matter after all?

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
i've only ever dated one person who had any sort of piano playing experience, and she was terrified of playing for me. An appreciation for and understanding of music and my particular art form is something i'm obviously always looking for, but if the other person plays as well, there are two possible results, depending on the gap in ability -- either you will always be trying to one-up each other, and when you've been outdone it makes you insecure about your abilities, or one is clearly a better player than the other, and the inferior player isn't open and willing to share their playing at all.
not to mention all the other piano majors at my school (male and female) seem to have a stick up their ass O_o

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
My significant 'other' does not particularly get off on classical music. More of a case of delights with Pachelbel's Canon, Beethoven's 5th, Tchaikovsky's 1812, Ravel's Bolero, usual suspects.

But we agree on politics, we agree to disagree on religion, so it's all cool. I'm not worried about the relationship, it is all about give and take, and not getting into playing games.

Jason
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Time to get them into some Elgar, Jason!

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 02/14/11 12:39 AM.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Time to get him into some Elgar, Jason!

You just 'outed' me.

Not that it was any secret...

laugh

Jason
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Oh [censored].

Crazy things come out of my mouth when I'm out of it. Hold on.... edited now!

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 02/14/11 12:39 AM.

I'm surprised other instrumentalists have hardly been mentioned...I would certainly enjoy as a spouse/ significant other someone to collaborate with musically, be it with vocal works, or as I seem to fancy string players.

-Piano Instructor since 2008-
F
F
Originally Posted by AdlerAugen
I'm surprised other instrumentalists have hardly been mentioned...I would certainly enjoy as a spouse/ significant other someone to collaborate with musically, be it with vocal works, or as I seem to fancy string players.

I did but but you may not notice. I fancy string players as well. But preferably he can play the piano a bit as well smile

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
my better half sings as well as i play the piano, we never tried to change positions in that respect...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I prefer that my lover leave my piano the heck alone.

There are strict, standing orders not to touch the piano, the lamp, the music, the bench, or anything else. And I mean it.

Clef

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I've never had a lover that could play a musical instrument, but I'm pretty sure I would be in the "I don't care" camp.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
I prefer that my lover leave my piano the heck alone.

There are strict, standing orders not to touch the piano, the lamp, the music, the bench, or anything else. And I mean it.

Hear! Hear!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cellists and/or Baritones get my loving attention.. Pianists not so much.. I am very very possessive of my piano..

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Cellists and/or Baritones get my loving attention.. Pianists not so much.. I am very very possessive of my piano..

Baritones, really? But they're such divas (as are most singers haha). Cellists, yes... there's something about them... If I wasn't dating a pianist, I would've probably dated a cellist.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission