2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
My husband is going out of the country for the next 10 days frown so I decided to treat myself with a complete set of Grieg's Lyric pieces to enjoy in his absence.
They are SO beautiful. I have passed the late morning/early afternoon listening to all of them. I think I might be able to play some of the easiest ones.

Which have you played? Which do you aspire to play?

Christine

[Linked Image]
There is one called the Phantom which is on my bucket list. Ooh i think i will go play that oine right now!

qtpi
K
K
If you fancy getting the sheets, the Dover complete edition of these is really nice, and very reasonably priced. I've played a few, of which I particularly like "Arietta", the first one of the first set. Not too hard. They range in difficulty from early intermediate to advanced, so there is enough in there to keep you going for a lifetime of playing.

I also really like "In Ballad Style" (Op 65 no 5) and will learn it one day. Emil Gilels' recording of this is just sublime. It it Gilels' recording that got me into these pieces.

Also worth checking out - Leif Ove Asdnes has recorded a set of them in Grieg's study, on Grieg's Steinway. An amazing disc.

i got started on Lyric Pieces and have really been enjoying it- try the Wedding Song- Lots of fun!

qtpi

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
GlassLove - I have the complete lyric pieces also. There are many really nice ones. I've played Watchman's Song, I think maybe one of the easier ones, though not as "beautiful" as many. I also really like the first one, "Arietta". And "Phantom" is good, too. So many......One other of my favorites is "Melody" (op.38 no.3) and on my to learn list because it's more difficult.

Hope you find some you really like - lots of choices!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Q: I'm currently working on Grieg's "Waltz", Op.12, No.2 - is this one of the "Lyric Pieces"?

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
JF - according to my book it is one of the lyric pieces. And since the title is just "Waltz" it's good to know the op. #. smile

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yes, it is a lyric piece, John. If anyone else likes these pieces and wants to take a shot at playing an easier one (relatively speaking)... The following which I have placed below are rated "4."

Related to Grieg, I have had Gilels' recording for some time but had always wanted all of the lyric pieces. I bought the whole set with pianist Nicholas Roth. I didn't recognize the name at first, something about it bothered me.
GUESS WHAT? After some searching, I realized that he was my ballet teacher's son!!!! Growing up, he would visit my best friend's house and play all sorts of things for us (I vividly remember his Gershwin) He was a remarkably talented little boy (obviously the only thing that has changed is his little boy status). I really enjoy his playing so his might be a nice alternative to the other complete set. He is a professor at Drake University now.

So, here are some of the easier ones:

Opus 12: Arietta, Waltz, Watchman's Song, Album Leaf, National Song, Elves' Dance

Opus 38: Folk song, Waltz

Opus 43: Solitary Traveler, In my native country,

Opus 47: Elegy

Opus 54: Bell Ringing

Opus 65: Ballad

Opus 68: Grandmother's Menuet
Opus 71: Gone, Remembrance

Thanks for the recommendation regarding the book Keemanan, I ordered it. It should arrive in just a few days.

Christine

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks CMohr & GL.

Here's some collections I found at sheetmusicplus.com (there are others listed):

Grieg Selected Lyric Pieces for Piano

Complete Lyric Pieces (Centennial Edition)

Complete Lyric Pieces for Piano

This last one is the "Dover Edition" and seems to be highly rated by a number of the reviewers.

JF

Last edited by John Frank; 02/13/11 07:03 AM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
They're also on IMSLP.

I recently discovered that I love Grieg too! I've played his Notturno and working on the Wedding Day at Troldhaugen. Also enjoying snipets of his concerto. laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The "Waltz", Op. 12/2 that I'm working on is in Alfred's "Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Vol.2" that also contains "Sailor's Song", OP.68/1 - oddly it mentions that this piece is from "Lyric Pieces" but not the Waltz - editorial oversight I guess.

JF

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by John Frank
Complete Lyric Pieces for Piano

This last one is the "Dover Edition" and seems to be highly rated by a number of the reviewers.

JF

I can vouch for the Dover edition. I've had mine for about 10 years and it's held up very well, good quality paper and binding and very legibile.

Greg
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
An additional thought as far as complete recordings go. I've owned the complete set of Grieg's piano music by the late Eva Knardahl since it first came out (I believe some time in the early 90s). It's still available on both Arkiv Music and Amazon and I'd highly recommend it if you like Grieg's piano music. Very well played on a Bosendorfer and very well recorded by Bis. Here is a link to the set, at about $5 per CD for the 12 CD set it's an absolute steal.

Greg
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BB Player
... I've owned the complete set of Grieg's piano music by the late Eva Knardahl since it first came out (I believe some time in the early 90s).

Here is a link to the set, at about $5 per CD for the 12 CD set it's an absolute steal.

Greg - thanks for the pointer to the recordings thumb

Just wondering though if you ever wrote the script for any of those very early morning infomercials:

"...and only 12 payments of $49.99 each and you too can be the proud owner the new, improved super ab cruncher...but wait! Call now and we'll include a CD of Slim Whitman's Greatest Hits absolutely free... smile

JF

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B

Just wondering though if you ever wrote the script for any of those very early morning infomercials:

"...and only 12 payments of $49.99 each and you too can be the proud owner the new, improved super ab cruncher...but wait! Call now and we'll include a CD of Slim Whitman's Greatest Hits absolutely free... smile

JF
An ab cruncher for only $600? Where can I get one? My abs need crunching laugh

More seriously though, I know there are a lot of Grieg fans here (including me) and it's rare that a set by the same pianist is all that great. Usually (in the case of Grieg) they'll play the lyric pieces well but fall apart on the concerto or vice-versa. Knardahl handles it all idiomatically and the piano sound is beautiful as well - what more can you ask?

Oh, and for those who only want the lyric pieces, I believe those are available by Knardahl on separate disks for the low low price of (I haven't checked).

Greg
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
wow, there's some good stuff here - thanks for introducing me to Grieg, GL!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Q: I'm currently working on Grieg's "Waltz", Op.12, No.2 - is this one of the "Lyric Pieces"?

JF

This piece is an favourite of mine at the moment. I think it is my favourite to perform for someone else. I love playing it, so nice to find that someone else is enjoying it too smile

Also like Arietta, and Wedding Day is a Lark.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie

JF

This piece is an favourite of mine at the moment. I think it is my favourite to perform for someone else. I love playing it, so nice to find that someone else is enjoying it too smile

Yes, I am enjoying it, although it may be a little while until I can get it up to it's indicated tempo of Allegro Moderato or even Moderato for that matter smile But, I would really like to hear your rendition of it. Any chance?

I seem to be stuck on waltzes right now (not a bad thing at all), having just finished Schubert's in B Minor and Maykapar's in D Major, which I put together as a medley in the current ABF Recital.

And I'm tentatively thinking about next taking on a somewhat simplified version of Tchaikovsky's delightfully uplifting "Waltz" from the "Sleeping Beauty" ballet suite.

JF

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano
wow, there's some good stuff here - thanks for introducing me to Grieg, GL!

You are very welcome. I can't wait to hear your first Grieg piece.
I did get the Dover book, it is really a beautiful collection. The paper is of very high quality and the book is easy to keep open to a particular page.

In case any one else is considering the whole collection-all of the pieces range in difficulty from 4-8, with the majority being 4 or 6.

~Christine

Christine

[Linked Image]
Of all the pieces I've learned in the past, Arietta is the one I play the most "just because I feel like it". You never stop enjoying this little gem.

If you like this very first of the lyric pieces, be sure to listen to the very last lyric piece as well, "Remembrance", which is a re-imagining of the same piece.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission