2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 40 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 39 40
B
B
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by B. Michels
1 - When the damper pedal is pressed, I find the Syn Resonance quite annoying and not realistic ( in the upper part of the keyboard , above middle C, rather than a subtle "string resonance", I hear a strange strong "windy" noise besides the note,). Way Too much effect ! For all the "ONE TOUCH PIANOS" It is set to :"Deph =52.

--> I have to lower it to 10 or set it OFF to have something realistic !

-> Strange nobody mentioned this ? (this problem occur only when the damper pedal is used)

Strange, I think the default level is rather low. Since the pedal sympathetic resonance is an in-line effect there are a ton of other parameters you can adjust other than the level, have you tried any of those?

2 - I can edit only 9 of the 30 pianos sounds !

the manual says "In the ONE touch PIANO screen use the VALUE dial to select the variation that you want to edit... press (Tone Edit) button..."

But then I have, in the first highlighted line, access to only 9 pianos:

I believe you can pick among these 9 basic sounds or non-editable variations as starting points.

For example, Rock Grand, Mellow Studio or Antique Piano 1 & 2 are missing and therefore NOT editable ??

If I select and play for example the Rock GRAND and then press (TONE EDIT) key, I am proposed to edit 001:Concert grand.

Rock Grand is based on the Concert Grand base voice.

And.... what the heck are those Honkey-Kong 2 & 3 since we have only ONE Honkey-Kond sound accessible through the ONE TOUCH Tones ?

I'm not sure, but I think Honkey Tonk is a non-editable base variation which is itself based on Concert Grand. Honkey Tonk2 is probably based on Studio Grand. Honkey Tonk 3 is probably based on Brilliant Grand.

3 - I am very surprised that for ALL the 9 pianos available through the (TONE EDIT) key, the EDIT parameters are all the same. I hope I don't have a defective RD700NX !

I think they have altered them to some degree and then have centered the available controls so that they all start at the same point. I agree that seeing what they did to get the various voices would have been less confusing and much more instructive.

You say "Honkey Tonk2 is probably based on Studio Grand. Honkey Tonk 3 is probably based on Brilliant Grand", but... I have only access to ONE Honkey Tonk sound to play that is in the Concert grand serie. So... how comes I can edit 3 variations of Honkey Kong, but only play ONE ????

F
F
B. Michels, tried a factory reset?

RD-700NX (25 nov 2010)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thomsurf
Here's a video review of the 700NX

http://bcove.me/j27r9t9v

Found it on www.keyboardmag.com/Gear

That was a terrible review. Thanks for posting though. It was like watching Mr. Rogers give a technical lesson on digital piano sound production.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoZac
That was a terrible review.

I agree. Really poor audio, and he's one of those people that uses swallowing as punctuation.

B
B
I did reset the 9 "ONE key" sounds. Is there a "complete" factory reset ?

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
You say "Honkey Tonk2 is probably based on Studio Grand. Honkey Tonk 3 is probably based on Brilliant Grand", but... I have only access to ONE Honkey Tonk sound to play that is in the Concert grand serie. So... how comes I can edit 3 variations of Honkey Kong, but only play ONE ????

You can play all three by selecting them in the SN piano tone edit screen. Granted only one of them is represented in the Live Set presets, but who really cares? The honky-tonk sound isn't one I'm all that interested in.

After listening to them, I'm convinced the three honky-tonk pianos are based on the three base pianos (Concert, Studio, Brilliant). It makes sense that they provided a honky-tonk and mono version of each piano as a basis for patch building.

It doesn't seem to be a simple chorus effect, it really sounds like detuned unison strings. I wish we had a control for this, a smaller amount might be fairly interesting to apply to other piano presets.

I wish there was a control in there to set the level of L&R pan from bass to treble notes without collapsing the stereo image.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Is there a "complete" factory reset ?

Menu | Utility | Factory Reset All

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
... if I edit the system settings and set the "Part Mode" to "16PART" (rather than the default, which is "16PART + PERF") the voice playing is then whatever I pick from the front panel. The problem, as with other Roland SN DPs, is that the pedal sympathetic resonance and other sound effects are missing.

After some experimentation I'd like to amend my statement above.

Everything, including pedal sympathetic resonance, is audible when the NX is played via MIDI (provided you edit the "Part Mode" to "16PART").

The only thing missing that I can tell is the pedal-down sound effect ("loom of strings").
If anyone has a clue as to how to get this to play via MIDI I'm all ears.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
dewster, it sounds like you're doing a nice job of tweaking your NX for the DPBSD...or should that be tweaking the DPBSD for the NX? ;p

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
Thanks Dewster

Last edited by B. Michels; 02/03/11 06:38 PM.
T
T
Originally Posted by PianoZac
Originally Posted by thomsurf
Here's a video review of the 700NX

http://bcove.me/j27r9t9v

Found it on www.keyboardmag.com/Gear

That was a terrible review. Thanks for posting though. It was like watching Mr. Rogers give a technical lesson on digital piano sound production.

C'mon guys! You gotta love the way he plays with Wurly sound at 2:30 wink

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
...or should that be tweaking the DPBSD for the NX? ;p

I know you're kidding James, but in case you're sort of kidding on the square I probably owe you and others an explanation. It's true that I'm "teaching to the test" to some degree since the NX is the only DP we have at the moment. But the tests are widely applicable, and if I run across some aspect that the NX fails I'd be sure to shout it from the rooftops.

After all, it's not that my wife or I are particularly in love with the NX - it certainly has some good things going for it, but it has some warts as well. The DPBSD test additions and changes are mainly due to the fact that I'm spending a fair amount of time with the NX and it's making me think of new things and ways to test. The NX is fairly sophisticated as these things go, so I'm able to make tests that reveal more in there than in many DPs.

I added a really loud E6 to the beginning of the pedal sympathetic resonance test. This lets me hear both pedal symp res (when the pedal is down) and the duplex scale resonance (when the pedal is up). I should have done this in the first rev of the DPBSD MIDI file as it is much easier to hear the effect that with the old test, and probably on most or all DPs, not just the NX. I've gone round and round with this test for the duration of the project, trying to make the effect more audible.

I added the late pedal partial damping test because I didn't feel the quick partial damping test was player-centric enough. And I added the undampered transition test because it was easy. smile

Last edited by dewster; 02/03/11 11:40 PM. Reason: E6 not G6
Online Content
Great, thank you for clarifying these points.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Update:

Unfortunately, the infamous ivory feel key wear issue hasn't been fixed. Middle C is already showing signs of wear. Maybe when it get worn enough I'll varnish it or something...

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Real pity that this is still an issue.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
F
F
Are you guys washing your hands before you play? I see people of the opera do it all the time. Also they have guys cleaning the pianos with whiteboard cleaning fluid stuff like twice a day or something (ok maybe once a week but there's a lot of pianos here so there's always somebody tuning/rubbing something).

When I play guitar if I don't wash my hands the neck would clog up and loose the slipperiness in a week or two. I even keep a towel to wipe it clean afterwards. Maybe I should start doing that with the piano too?

By the way I've found the NX sounds a lot better when the volume is turned up quite loud. When volume is low I start to hear slight phasy sounds from the mid to mid-high notes and the bass boominess is gone. When cranked it sounds wonderful. Watch your ears though. I pulled the trigger on a pair of Genelec monitors the other day so I'll experiment with putting the monitors far away and crank the volume and see what happens.

Cheers
Fred

RD-700NX (25 nov 2010)
S
S
Going to pick up this DP tomorrow as an early bday present for my wife. Just a quick question, does it come with any sort of key cover/dust protection device of any sort??

I am concerned by the note stealing issue, but everything else about the Piano screams quality, and I was considering the Korg SV-1 as an alternative, but my wife has her heart set on the roland.

Thanks in advance.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scotto
Going to pick up this DP tomorrow as an early bday present for my wife. Just a quick question, does it come with any sort of key cover/dust protection device of any sort??

No. They make nice black elastic things you can buy, but we just lay a towel over ours when we're not using it.

Originally Posted by scotto
I am concerned by the note stealing issue...

More of a note damp stealing issue - notes play but they get rudely cut off at key lift. It's easy to reproduce, but you probably won't encounter it unless you play back an MP3 and attack the keys like a frenzied demon.

G
G
Hey,

finally !!! Thx for that one !!

I play the ORGAN and we have a bath tub nearby to wash our hands.

AND we play in socks and shoes are NOT allowed grin

Alexander

No. They make nice black elastic things you can buy, but we just lay a towel over ours when we're not using it.

Funny, I thought I invented that one blush

Page 32 of 40 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission