2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
At least he called you a Lulu! That's got to be worth something.

Yeah, but it's a quaint and old-fashioned sort of term .... much like the reverential attitude taken toward the Windsors. wink

Maybe I should post the pic of me having lunch with the Iron Lady. That might get him going. grin

One of my relatives with King George V and the Prince of Wales. He did tell George he needs to keep an eye on his son!
[Linked Image]

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by tomasino
I haven't seen "The King's Speech," and probably won't, as it appears from all the buzz to be a pop-historical film of the sort that encourages deficient people to idolize the talentless and unproductive; a phenomenon even worse than idolizing certain celebrities for no reason other than they are celebrities.

Having disqualified myself from commenting further, I nevertheless will: the irony of using Beethoven's music seems fitting, given the irony of the British royal family being German.

I don’t know how to interpret this. Are the “deficient people” those of us who loved the film? I would politely suggest that this is a baseless generalisation. I have never hitherto considered myself deficient.

Are you saying that the actors are “talentless”? That is patently ridiculous. Or do you mean the Royal Family? It is not their role to be talented. As a figurehead for a nation at war, George VI had a most important role. Talent had nothing to do with it.

“loveschopintoomuch” has summed up what the film is really about perfectly.

Would you call Obama Kenyan? I certainly would not wish to be called Polish, despite having Polish ancestors. The royal family are not German.

Originally Posted by David-G
The royal family are not German.
SAXE-COBURG-GOTHA English?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Lots of people in the UK have foreign names and foreign origins. Doesn't make them not British now.

Indeed, but the family often spoke German among themselves into the 20th century, at a time in which Germany was rising as the UK's prime rival for power. You can perhaps forgive people for worrying about the German connection without thinking that the Windsor family was somehow disloyal (which they weren't).

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch

But with the help of a wonderful teacher, he was able to find that confidence that was buried deep within, overcome his doubts of self-worth and with extraordinary bravery, defeat the effects that caused him such inner pain and turmoil. He rose to the occasion that was thrust upon him and did so (while not exactly happily) with grace and dignity.

Whew Kathleen, very well written (though historically suspect), and I suppose this film is as harmless as 'Amadeus', but not as I see it.

Lionel Logue was a Christian Scientist -at that time a very popular religion- but I find it very difficult to believe that Logue didn't invoke Mary Baker Eddy's statement in her book 'Science and Health' on page 454: Right motives give pinions to thought, and strength and freedom to speech and action.

IMO, there is no way that Logue couldn't have brought that up with the King, and Mrs. Eddy's choice of the word 'pinions' is interesting.

Jason
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by argerichfan
... the king told his diary that he couldn't get used to the idea of Churchill as prime minister ...

That was because Churchill had expressed significant doubts about him as a potential future King.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
... the king told his diary that he couldn't get used to the idea of Churchill as prime minister ...

That was because Churchill had expressed significant doubts about him as a potential future King.

Wow. What a profoundly astute observation. No wonder I emigrated to the US, and I truly fear for the Realm.

Not only do I have to fight Republicans on the new side of the pond, I also have to worry about the Old Country. It's a hard life. laugh

Jason
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Backed by the appeasing “Peace in our time” communique of then PM Neville Chamberlain (but later taken for a ride by Hitler) ... is it any wonder that King George VI questioned the new PM Winston Churchill who quickly showed his “ We will fight them ....” bellicose colours.

Here’s Churchill in bulldog mood visiting the north east defences of England ... 1940.
[Linked Image]

btb #1617297 02/11/11 12:22 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by btb

Here’s Churchill in bulldog mood visiting the north east defences of England ... 1940.
[Linked Image]

There is some doubt about the actual location where that picture was shot, propaganda being what it is... and necessary.

btb, don't question my love of the Old Country, you should know better than that. You can make fun of me as you wish for not being a proper 'Monarchist', but in emigrating to the US I did what I had to do. My life was at an end in the UK, and the opportunity came up to leave. I am so much happier now, you don't approve of that?

Jason
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
btb, don't question my love of the Old Country, you should know better than that. You can make fun of me as you wish for not being a proper 'Monarchist', but in emigrating to the US I did what I had to do. My life was at an end in the UK, and the opportunity came up to leave. I am so much happier now, you don't approve of that?

My friend, if you're going to seek validation for your life choices in the writing quirks of our good chappie, you might be in for a confusing time. I imagine that's a long and absurd road. smile

(no offense, btb; just "stirring up the pot")

-J

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Any more of this anti-monarchist chat ...
and “Ve vil haf yo shot” (putting on my best Deutch voice)

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Wow. What a profoundly astute observation. No wonder I emigrated to the US, and I truly fear for the Realm.

Not only do I have to fight Republicans on the new side of the pond, I also have to worry about the Old Country. It's a hard life. laugh

We can agree to differ.

But coming back to the film - Kathleen summed it up perfectly. It is a drama about people. And much more moving than I had expected. The political situation is just a background.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
How was the music score of the movie, ie the original music composed by Alexanre Desplat?? He is a talented composer..

As for the British monarchy, their past is no more or less brilliant than their present and not terribly different than that of other politicians. It would thus be good if they could be similarly voted in or out of "royalhood".. I find it odd to be walking around with a Prince title and entitlement just because you were born with it.. 'tis the 21st century after all. But we do -love to- digress, don't we.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
No Sir, David-G ... and with respect ... Kathleen has put on her mollycoddling boots with her opinion of the core of the movie “The King Speaks”.

“IMO, the story was that of one man (just a man, really, nothing more) who, because of horribly traumatic experiences in his childhood by adults who ignored, belittled and abused him, suffered such anguish that he was unable to speak in public without stammering”

Where in the world did someone dredge up those diabolical adults who “ignored, belittled and abused him” ... this is apron-strings balderdash

From Wikipedia

“He often suffered from ill health and was described as "easily frightened and somewhat prone to tears". His parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, were generally removed from their children’s day-to-day upbringing, as was the norm in aristocratic families of that era (Public School boarding house). He had a stammer that lasted for many years, and was forced to write with his right hand although he was naturally left-handed. He suffered from chronic stomach problems as well as knock-knees for which he was forced to wear painful corrective splints.”

Perhaps he was sidelined from playing rugga ... however was later mentioned in despatches for his action as a turret officer aboard HMS Collingwood
during the battle of Jutland (31 May — 1 June 1916).

But King George VI got over his stammering ... by speaking slowly he managed to make New Year addresses over the radio ... even from distant Cape Town we used to look forward to his encouraging BBC speeches.

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz

I thought UK inheritance was via the Paternal line. So in Philips Case (Duke of Edinburgh) his father was from the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (which is described as "Danish").

I like the idea of the royal family being rebranded yet again back from Mountbatten/Windsor to "Holstein" since it sounds like a cow or lager which I guess is quite fitting! But "Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg" don't sound very British either!

Last edited by EJR; 02/11/11 10:05 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think its different if youre a prince consort instead of a king.

No, actually. The early Georges were "Hanoverian." But when Victoria married Albert (prince consort), their children were Saxe-Coburg Gotha (which George V changed deliberately to Windsor during WWI). Presumably Charles is the first of his line and could change the dynastic "name" to his father's. As if anyone cares. smile

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz

Further thought: It doesn't sound British, but sure sounds AngloSaxon (hence Anglish)?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission