Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
139 registered members (7uturu, AnthonyPaulO, Animisha, agraffe, akc42, AlphaBravoCharlie, amad23, barbaram, 41 invisible), 1,312 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
first lessons in bach #1615076
02/08/11 01:01 AM
02/08/11 01:01 AM
findingnemo2010 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
findingnemo2010  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Is this book any good for beginning Bach? I just learnt minuet in G minor and I learnt more from playing that one piece, then I have the whole Alfred series I have been working through.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615195
02/08/11 08:51 AM
02/08/11 08:51 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Or would the Anna Magdalena book be better to pick up to start?

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615560
02/08/11 07:46 PM
02/08/11 07:46 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

ok nobody answer.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615590
02/08/11 08:32 PM
02/08/11 08:32 PM
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stanny  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry for not answering, Joe. What does your own teacher suggest? Or are you self-taught?

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615595
02/08/11 08:38 PM
02/08/11 08:38 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Self taught. Im supposed to be getting a teacher real soon. But this Bach piece got me goin nuts just wanting to learn more now. So i dont know which book to go with. Gotta get that teacher.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615616
02/08/11 09:14 PM
02/08/11 09:14 PM
Dallas, Texas
dmsynck Offline
dmsynck  Offline

Dallas, Texas
I'll answer.

There are several different publishers for "First Lessons in Bach".

There is the old Schirmer edition in two volumes that a number of people seem to disparage because of the editing. However, there is a new (2009) Schirmer Performance Edition (all in 1 volume) that includes a cd. This is the one I bought and I think it is just fine. The first 10 or so pages are performance notes for the individual pieces and also covers general things like phrasing, dynamics, fingering, and ornamentation. There is also the "Alfred Masterworks" volume which I understand is also quite good. Those would be the two I would suggest.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: dmsynck] #1615643
02/08/11 09:55 PM
02/08/11 09:55 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by dmsynck
I'll answer.

There are several different publishers for "First Lessons in Bach".

There is the old Schirmer edition in two volumes that a number of people seem to disparage because of the editing. However, there is a new (2009) Schirmer Performance Edition (all in 1 volume) that includes a cd. This is the one I bought and I think it is just fine. The first 10 or so pages are performance notes for the individual pieces and also covers general things like phrasing, dynamics, fingering, and ornamentation. There is also the "Alfred Masterworks" volume which I understand is also quite good. Those would be the two I would suggest.

Would you buy first lessons in bach over amb notebook?

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615692
02/08/11 10:59 PM
02/08/11 10:59 PM
Dallas, Texas
dmsynck Offline
dmsynck  Offline

Dallas, Texas
Let me clarify, both the "Alfred Masterworks" edition and the "Schirmer Performance" edition of "First Lessons in Bach" contain selections from the Anna Magdalena Notebook/s that Bach compiled in 1722 and 1725, although the name "Anna Magdalena Notebook" usually refers to just the 1725 volume. Basically, either edition contains the easier Bach pieces(minuets, musettes, etc).
The Alfred edition contains sixteen pieces while the Schirmer Performance edition has a total of twenty eight pieces, including some of the easier movements from things like the "French" suites and the "English" suites. These are typically pieces like gavottes, sarabandes, polonaises, etc.

Last edited by dmsynck; 02/08/11 11:07 PM.
Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615699
02/08/11 11:09 PM
02/08/11 11:09 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you. Wow. that stuff is amazing. never played nothing like it. All this time I was missing out.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615725
02/08/11 11:32 PM
02/08/11 11:32 PM
Dallas, Texas
dmsynck Offline
dmsynck  Offline

Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted by joeb84
Thank you. Wow. that stuff is amazing. never played nothing like it. All this time I was missing out.

Yes, Bach is fabulous for building technique, particularly hand independence(each hand playing a different melodic line). One small aside, most of the pieces in the AMB were not actually written by Bach himself. They were done by other composers, some of the pieces being written by some of Bach's sons and then Bach just collected them together and possibly made improvements. You don't start getting into pieces actually written by Bach until you get into the more intermediate and advanced stuff like the "little preludes", the "Two and Three Part Inventions", and the suites (French, English, Partitas, etc). Then there is the acknowledged pinnacle of keyboard playing, the preludes and fugues of the "Well Tempered Clavier". However, those are quite difficult and one could literally spend a lifetime mastering them. One thing about the pieces out of the AMB is that they are not particularly hard to play, but they are quite a challenge to play well, particularly when you add in all the ornamentation. Most beginners like me play them without any ornamentation in the beginning and then slowly learn how to add in things like trills and appogiaturas. The best way to go about learning how to play things like this is to play each hand seperately first and then once you have a grasp on each hand, put them together, but very slowly at first.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: dmsynck] #1615731
02/08/11 11:42 PM
02/08/11 11:42 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, Bach is fabulous for building technique, particularly hand independence(each hand playing a different melodic line). One small aside, most of the pieces in the AMB were not actually written by Bach himself. They were done by other composers, some of the pieces being written by some of Bach's sons and then Bach just collected them together and possibly made improvements. You don't start getting into pieces actually written by Bach until you get into the more intermediate and advanced stuff like the "little preludes", the "Two and Three Part Inventions", and the suites (French, English, Partitas, etc). Then there is the acknowledged pinnacle of keyboard playing, the preludes and fugues of the "Well Tempered Clavier". However, those are quite difficult and one could literally spend a lifetime mastering them. One thing about the pieces out of the AMB is that they are not particularly hard to play, but they are quite a challenge to play well, particularly when you add in all the ornamentation. Most beginners like me play them without any ornamentation in the beginning and then slowly learn how to add in things like trills and appogiaturas. The best way to go about learning how to play things like this is to play each hand seperately first and then once you have a grasp on each hand, put them together, but very slowly at first.

Yeah i can see that bach is great for left hand independence and motion. In alfreds I never move my left hand so it felt good to move it in a musical way that sounds exhilarating. Also alot of counterpoint and the man was just a genius. I wish i got into these sooner. and i usually dont play them without any ornaments seeing that i only know 2 minuets by him now. But wow. Im thinking u wana learn how to play keyboard learn bach. dude does like backflips with both hands. but the first lessons in bach are rather easy your right. but what level would they be at? sorry for the mixed thought racing rambling passage right there lol. eek

edit. alota people i see do that learn hands seperate. i find that twice as hard the work for me so i just go one shot all together so i know how they work in with eachother. but to each its own

Last edited by joeb84; 02/08/11 11:44 PM.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615745
02/08/11 11:59 PM
02/08/11 11:59 PM
Dallas, Texas
dmsynck Offline
dmsynck  Offline

Dallas, Texas

Yeah i can see that bach is great for left hand independence and motion. In alfreds I never move my left hand so it felt good to move it in a musical way that sounds exhilarating. Also alot of counterpoint and the man was just a genius. I wish i got into these sooner. and i usually dont play them without any ornaments seeing that i only know 2 minuets by him now. But wow. Im thinking u wana learn how to play keyboard learn bach. dude does like backflips with both hands. but the first lessons in bach are rather easy your right. but what level would they be at? sorry for the mixed thought racing rambling passage right there lol. eek

edit. alota people i see do that learn hands seperate. i find that twice as hard the work for me so i just go one shot all together so i know how they work in with eachother. but to each its own

Yes, I am most likely learning the same 2 minuets that you are learning. The same two everyone starts out learning(minuet in G major BWV 114 and minuet in G minor BWV 115, they should be played together as a pair). I also have learned the musette in D major BWV 126 and am working on the minuet in D minor BWV 132. I believe that these 4 pieces come in at about grade 3

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615749
02/09/11 12:08 AM
02/09/11 12:08 AM
Dallas, Texas
dmsynck Offline
dmsynck  Offline

Dallas, Texas
An interesting side note - Bach was a church organist in the various cities in Germany he lived in and seemed to be constantly getting in trouble with the church elders for "using too many notes" as they put it.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: dmsynck] #1615750
02/09/11 12:09 AM
02/09/11 12:09 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, I am most likely learning the same 2 minuets that you are learning. The same two everyone starts out learning(minuet in G major BWV 114 and minuet in G minor BWV 115, they should be played together as a pair). I also have learned the musette in D major BWV 126 and am working on the minuet in D minor BWV 132. I believe that these 4 pieces come in at about grade 3

yup those are the exact 2 ones i just learned. minuet in g and g minor. i like the g minor one better. icouldnt make the shop today but hopefully tomorrow ill get down there and do what i can you know. What book are you working out of and do you have a teacheR?

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: dmsynck] #1615751
02/09/11 12:10 AM
02/09/11 12:10 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

An interesting side note - Bach was a church organist in the various cities in Germany he lived in and seemed to be constantly getting in trouble with the church elders for "using too many notes" as they put it.

I could see that. Yeah i was trying to find a style id like to play then i found this guy. wow. the way he just like fits notes together almost seeming at random but not quite and just sound so good. using too many notes. i could see that. smile

Last edited by joeb84; 02/09/11 12:12 AM.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615764
02/09/11 12:27 AM
02/09/11 12:27 AM
Dallas, Texas
dmsynck Offline
dmsynck  Offline

Dallas, Texas

I could see that. Yeah i was trying to find a style id like to play then i found this guy. wow. the way he just like fits notes together almost seeming at random but not quite and just sound so good. using too many notes. i could see that. smile

A lot of people say that Bach's music has almost a mathematical precision and quality about it.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: dmsynck] #1615769
02/09/11 12:31 AM
02/09/11 12:31 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

A lot of people say that Bach's music has almost a mathematical precision and quality about it.

Most music is mathematical. Seems as everything goes back to numbers and I repeated Algebra 1 like 4 times, no joke. Numbers was never my thing.

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: findingnemo2010] #1615772
02/09/11 12:38 AM
02/09/11 12:38 AM
Dallas, Texas
dmsynck Offline
dmsynck  Offline

Dallas, Texas

yup those are the exact 2 ones i just learned. minuet in g and g minor. i like the g minor one better. icouldnt make the shop today but hopefully tomorrow ill get down there and do what i can you know. What book are you working out of and do you have a teacheR?

I have the "Schirmer Performance" edition of "First Lessons in Bach". I chose that one over the Alfred edition because it has almost twice as many pieces and it comes with a cd, which is really helpful. It is about $10.50 brand new on Amazon.com, so not expensive at all. Yes, I did have a teacher for about a year, but just recently had to discontinue lessons for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Lessons...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1297225808&sr=1-4

Re: first lessons in bach [Re: dmsynck] #1615787
02/09/11 01:04 AM
02/09/11 01:04 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I have the "Schirmer Performance" edition of "First Lessons in Bach". I chose that one over the Alfred edition because it has almost twice as many pieces and it comes with a cd, which is really helpful. It is about $10.50 brand new on Amazon.com, so not expensive at all. Yes, I did have a teacher for about a year, but just recently had to discontinue lessons for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Lessons...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1297225808&sr=1-4

yeah the alfred one has less and type way too much stuff in it. i just wanna play. ill probly get the schirmer one tomorrow. only thing is the alfred got the cd. and that would be good because my timings not so good and im just starting out and i could check it out

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha PF-1000
by Gavin24985. 03/19/19 09:09 AM
Happy Birthday Lennie Tristano!
by Dfrankjazz. 03/19/19 05:09 AM
“Spring Time” - A beautiful song
by Vũ Trần. 03/19/19 05:08 AM
Piano action issue
by kokatla. 03/19/19 04:31 AM
Practice session of Chopin prelude 3
by baudelairepianist. 03/19/19 12:26 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics190,989
Posts2,808,087
Members92,812
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission