2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 140 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 139 140
S
S
Hi Ronmon welcom to the Joi joint. With Custard and Knotty around you definitely in good hands:)

R
R
Thanks Saiman...been looking forward to this challenge for quite some time.

Thanks again Custard!

Ron
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ronmon,

welcome to the gang. This method is dynamite. But you kinda have to stick to it for a while. Take a look at the earlier posts along this thread. If some doesn't make sense, go ahead and ask. The Joi foundation book can easily keep you busy an hour a day. As you start piling more challenges, you'll really get a lot to do.

Have fun!

Cus,

how's the improv going? Keep it simple! wink

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Knotty
Here's what I'm up to.

Re improv, tomorrow I will finish the last key for descending lines. I've been doing as you suggested - composing a short line 1st, so that my improv comes out better and less random.
The day after tomorrow I will begin your exercise - arps up, scales down etc.

I'm on Lesson 19 Hanons @ 144 bpm.

I'm on Lesson 21 tunes.

Tomorrow I will record the transcription of Bill Evan's A Time for Love.

Thanks for your help.
cus

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
you're so organized!

R
R
Thanks Knotty!! I'll take a look at the previous posts as questions come up. Good to know I'm in good company!!

Ron
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hello
This is my recording of the transcription of Bill Evans' solo A Time for Love, a beautiful ballad written by Webster and Mandel.
I would really appreciate help on how to do an outro. I wanted to end after the 1st chorus so I just played some chords.
Thanks.

http://www.box.net/shared/mptz0d77r8

The sheet is at the end of Dave's masterclass notes.

http://www.davefrankjazz.com/ustream/billevans/evans.html

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>>This is my recording of the transcription of Bill Evans' solo A Time for Love, a beautiful ballad written by Webster and Mandel.

Wow, this is really well played! It's very impressive. It's great that you have the technique to execute that kind of arrangement. And now I see where you took some of the ideas for 'Never let me go'.

Listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9fqwbS2wPA

And try to steal some of his rubato feel. You can put it in transcribe, slow it down and try to play along to it to get the most out of it.

Check out the original above, you can definitely steal an idea or 2 for the outro.

Are you a good reader?

Last edited by knotty; 02/10/11 03:40 PM.
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Knotty
Thanks so much for your kind comments. I wanted to do a bit of justice to such a great piece so I spent 15 min a day on it for nearly 3 months.
Yes, you are right, the LH ideas for my Never Let Me Go arrangement were inspired by Bill especially the Baroque-like countermelody, upwards movement, downwards movement, and wave movement.

Thanks for the cool idea of playing along to the original, I will try this today and let you know how I go. So you recommend I go more rubato.
Like you, I try and get it right with the metronome initially. But I should try and get away from it subsequently ?

I'm good at reading up to 3 accidentals. So luckily this piece was in D major. But once I get to E major and Ab major, things suddenly deteriorate quickly !

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> Like you, I try and get it right with the metronome initially. But I should try and get away from it subsequently ?

I think that's a good approach. It's really hard, at least for me, to learn anything without a metronome. The metronome ensures you're playing slow so you can pick up the speed later.

But now that you have this really cool arrangement under your fingers, which seem very true to the original, then why not try and push it farther, and copy the rest of what Bill does. It's a different exercise I guess.

>> I'm good at reading up to 3 accidentals. So luckily this piece was in D major. But once I get to E major and Ab major, things suddenly deteriorate quickly !
I know what you mean. I'm trying to improve my reading a bit, and I'm not really sure what the best approach is. Sight reading isn't really the goal, the goal, for me, would be to play a jazz transcription in as little time as required.

In any event, you're very disciplined and that's a great thing. Doesn't it feel good when you can play something like that? Keep playing it once in a while, it will only get better.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by knotty
>>
But now that you have this really cool arrangement under your fingers, which seem very true to the original, then why not try and push it farther, and copy the rest of what Bill does. It's a different exercise I guess.

>> Doesn't it feel good when you can play something like that? Keep playing it once in a while, it will only get better.

Do you mean I should learn more choruses of A Time for Love ? Or should I move onto another song of Bill's ?

Yeah it does feel good, as Dave said in his masterclass this song is the holy grail of solo piano.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I heard that Pres was chosen to replace Coleman Hawkins when Coleman suddenly had to pull out, because the 2 other tenor sax guys in contention couldn't read.

Apparently Pres' dad didn't want him just muckin' around imitating, he forced Pres to learn how to read.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by knotty
>>>
And try to steal some of his rubato feel. You can put it in transcribe, slow it down and try to play along to it to get the most out of it.

I enjoyed the exercise. In particular Bill is not afraid to hold interesting tension chords for ages. Even if the chord is in m2.

I will try this exercise again tomorrow.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cus,

Are you gonna post that bill evans piece on the recital thread? you got until tonight ...

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for the nice idea Knotty. Could you please remind me where this thread is ?

btw I'm looking forward to your Menuet 3.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1618817/7.html

I don't know if we're going to record Minuet 3. The next recital in in June. Who knows where we'll be by then... But #3 might be it. We have some Handel next also.
Are you familiar with Suzuki ?

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Knotty
I've just made my first ever submission on the recital thread ! I hope it worked.
I downloaded Source to convert from WAV to mp3.

I like Handel, he uses some nice counterpoint, the voices remind me of some of Bach's fugues.

If I am correct, Suzuki is a method where the learner can play Classical pieces without learning to read music ? I believe it is popular with kids.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> I've just made my first ever submission on the recital thread ! I hope it worked.
Congrats. You'll have the best one there. Or else they don't know what they're talking about wink
Since that post of yours, I've decided to get better at reading. That and I got a Bud powell book, and it would really help! So I'm gonna spend a few months practicing 15 minutes a day.

>> Suzuki
Yeah, that's it. The teacher plays, the student plays back. It's really a surprising method. We had a sub teacher once, and he wanted to teach my son a new piece. He played, and my son played right back at him. I could tell he was a bit surprised and said: "He learns everything like this?"

The drawback is that kids tend to resist reading, and the more you delay, the more they tend to resist it. This can be bad for joining school bands, quartets, or whatever. So we're doing some sight reading also. I'm getting better at the bass clef smile

And thanks for your comment on my Youtube channel. Enjoy Perhaps, it's a great tune and one of the easiest of Bird's solo. Billie's Bounce is among the easier ones, too. Let me know if you can't find the original.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
It's very nice of you to say that Knotty.

Re Suzuki, I know a 10 year old and a 4 year old who want to learn piano. So if you recommend Suzuki, maybe I should put them onto it.

I'm really looking forward to starting Perhaps and would appreciate the original.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Knots
In a past post, I think you suggested that I should always be learning a Bill Evans song, besides doing my own arrangements.
Is there a particular Bill Evans song which you recommend I should try next ?

Page 15 of 140 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission