Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
54 registered members (amyram, astrotoy, Abdol, AssociateX, Campanella12, ChatNoir, Balezin Dmitry, Animisha, 15 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording #1609527
01/31/11 02:55 PM
01/31/11 02:55 PM
J
JasonJacoby Offline OP
JasonJacoby  Offline OP
J

Hi there. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds. I hope that I'm making this post in the right place. Basically, I'm looking for a keyboard/digital piano/synthesizer/stage piano that, when recorded, sounds like a recording would off of a grand piano.

Thank you.

Edit: I should go ahead and state, too, that I'm familiar with the Kawai MP6, S90XS, and other keyboards that record .WAV and .MP3 directly to USB. That's what I'm looking for... just one that sounds closest to a studio-recorded grand piano.

Last edited by JasonJacoby; 02/01/11 04:56 PM.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1609540
01/31/11 03:05 PM
01/31/11 03:05 PM
J
JasonJacoby Offline OP
JasonJacoby  Offline OP
J

And I should add that what I mean to do is put the recordings on an album, and have them sound as professional as, say, a Jim Brickman album.

Last edited by JasonJacoby; 01/31/11 03:07 PM.
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1610039
02/01/11 04:34 AM
02/01/11 04:34 AM
Auckland, NZ
S
Siriosys Offline
Siriosys  Offline
S

Auckland, NZ
Hi Jason,

Are you after teh "organic" sound that only comes from a "real" piano? Eg, all the warts and all, or are you wanting something more refined or smooth?

What is your budget - and How far can you stretch it?

There are a wide range of DP's on the market now, but one that is also getting a lot of attention is the Nord Piano. Have a search through the DP Forum here for some recent posts on the Nord Piano or NP 88 as it's being referred to as. Essbrace, Dave Ferris, and PianoZac have been posting some excellent infomration about their findings with the instrument, and particularly, some references to how "organic" it sounds. You might also want to consider the Roland RD300NX which has been recently released.

If the above is all too much, you may want to consider some of the Sample Libraries that are around such as Ivory or EastWest. However, you'll still be wanting a Keyboard to play the samples, but from all accounts, they're not bad facsimiles of the real deal.

Regards

Rob

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1610057
02/01/11 05:50 AM
02/01/11 05:50 AM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
What sort of music will you be recording? Solo or ensemble? Slow, sparse and exposed or lighter, pop/rock type stuff?

This is the Roland Supernatural sound...just a few ineptly played chords strung together...but it DOES stand scrutiny (in my opinion) as an acoustic piano substitute.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zzgtkymtjjm

The Nord is more characterful but has looping and note stretching etc but will probably stand out in a mix among other instrumentation better than the Roland. Tonally, you may prefer the Nord, who knows.

We need more info to advise you better.

Cheers,

Steve

Roland RD-1000 | Broadwood Grand Piano
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: Siriosys] #1610412
02/01/11 04:50 PM
02/01/11 04:50 PM
J
JasonJacoby Offline OP
JasonJacoby  Offline OP
J

Hi, Rob. Thank you for your response. I am after the organic sound from a real piano. I'm looking for one that will reasonably pass as an actual piano if you were to hear it on a CD. I looked at the Nord Piano 88 after you had suggested it, and it seemed it would have me fooled if I were listening to just a straight recording of it, and not the Asher Fulero video I was watching on YouTube. Honestly, my budget is not too high up there (pretty much every digital piano is above my budget), but I'm just looking at these things to gain information on them. Thank you again for you response.

Jason

Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: EssBrace] #1610429
02/01/11 05:07 PM
02/01/11 05:07 PM
J
JasonJacoby Offline OP
JasonJacoby  Offline OP
J

Hi, Steve. Thank you for your response. That Roland RD-700GX sounds great. As far as what I would be recording... it is solo. I should add that we are fortunate enough to have saved up to get into a studio to record a few pieces, but that, if the time comes, it would be nice to upgrade to a digital piano where you could basically do all your recording from home, and still have it sound like an actual grand piano (or studio recording). Thanks again. smile

Jason

Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1610448
02/01/11 05:25 PM
02/01/11 05:25 PM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
If you like the tone of the recording you've heard then look out for the RD-300NX...just released and will be much cheaper than the 700NX.

Another route is to get yourself a cheap digital piano or controller keyboard and put a sample library on your computer.

Good luck,

Steve

Roland RD-1000 | Broadwood Grand Piano
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1611060
02/02/11 11:15 AM
02/02/11 11:15 AM
F
FredFabulous Offline
FredFabulous  Offline
F

I think most professional studios that use DPs would rather record just the Midi and render some huge sample library (like Ivory II) if they wanted it on an album. That way you get a "real" piano at a fraction of the cost. When you have control over every note it's very easy to fake the dynamics you get from a DP.

Cheers
Fred

RD-700NX (25 nov 2010)
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1611266
02/02/11 04:19 PM
02/02/11 04:19 PM
Redondo Beach, California
C
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChrisA  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C

Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted by JasonJacoby
And I should add that what I mean to do is put the recordings on an album, and have them sound as professional as, say, a Jim Brickman album.

Today and likey for a long time the best piano sounds are all virtual software instruments that run on a computer. You'd connect the digital piano to a computer and then the sound is generated there. You are going to need the computer in any case if the goal is to produce professional quality CDs as you'd be needing it for editing and mastering the audio files.

But many people don't like computers on stage, think they are a distraction. So get soething with good-enough built-in sound and use the software piano in the studio for recording

Another thing about software, you can upgrade it and replace it and it can get better over time. The sound built into a digital piano will always remain the same and in 2015 a 2010 piano will have a dated sound and you will have to replace the piano to get up to the current state of the art.

Last edited by ChrisA; 02/02/11 04:23 PM.
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1611321
02/02/11 05:50 PM
02/02/11 05:50 PM
J
JasonJacoby Offline OP
JasonJacoby  Offline OP
J

Thanks a lot, guys. Everyone's input has been very helpful. I guess the next question would be in regards to what kind of computing power one would need to run this stuff. Would you recommend Apple or a Windows-based PC? smile

Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1611665
02/03/11 06:23 AM
02/03/11 06:23 AM
United Kingdom
R
Rimmer Offline
Rimmer  Offline
R

United Kingdom
Thanks a lot, guys. Everyone's input has been very helpful. I guess the next question would be in regards to what kind of computing power one would need to run this stuff. Would you recommend Apple or a Windows-based PC? smile

Any computer that can utilise an audio interface (of reasonable repute) is going to take you there but you also have to consider your software. There are free apps out there like Audacity or Mac's come with a very reasonable free copy of Garageband which will allow multitrack recording as well as some software synths and effects, etc.

Regards. Rimmer

Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1612396
02/04/11 01:42 AM
02/04/11 01:42 AM
North Canton, OH
zman58 Offline
zman58  Offline

North Canton, OH
I would recommend a Linux system.

I use Ubuntu Studio. It can be installed in minutes and has most anything you need for making incredible music. Ubuntu Studio is based on the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution. One particular application I like is the Hydrogen Drum Machine where you can create incredible drum tracks for accompaniment with your piano playing. Then there is Ardour for recording multi-track. And also the Jack panel which lets you connect instruments using a virtual patch panel. There are various synths and other effects processing software also. Incredible system....

More about it:
http://ubuntustudio.org/

Everything is free to obtain and use as you wish and there is quite an assortment of applications. It is Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) available under the GNU Public License. You can put it on any systems you want to with no license fees. Yes, it is very professional. In fact, many pros use Linux for Audio/Video production work.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Top-10-Linux-Distributions-for-Audio-Production-64552.shtml

It runs directly from DVD (a bit slow on DVD) or you can install it alongside Windows (on your system drive) on a Windows PC. You can also install it on a separate USB hard drive and boot from that when it is plugged in--set your boot options in the computer BIOS settings for this if supported.

You would have to learn a bit about Linux in the process.

Cheers,
zman58
Linux rules! Have you tried Linux Mint 12 yet?
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1612442
02/04/11 04:14 AM
02/04/11 04:14 AM
Auckland, NZ
S
Siriosys Offline
Siriosys  Offline
S

Auckland, NZ
The one good thing about the Nord Piano is that the sounds can be replaced with the Free ones from their website. As was demonstrated at xmas, Nord released an XL version of a Bosendorfer 290 Imperial, which as you've heard is a pretty good replica - For a keyboard.

The one thing you do need with Sample Libraries is a very fast Hard disk and lots of RAM. If you can stretch your budget, installing a decent sized SSD will certainly offer big performance gains on the PC front, however, they are expensive still.

If you just want to record the actual "sound" from a DP such as the Nord or Roland etc etc, I would strongly suggest you invest in a good quality External Audio interface such as the Apogee (Mac only), or some of the ones from the other brands around such as Motu, RME etc etc.

Regards

Rob

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1612465
02/04/11 05:31 AM
02/04/11 05:31 AM
J
JasonJacoby Offline OP
JasonJacoby  Offline OP
J

Hi, Rimmer. Thanks for your suggestion. We have a Macbook in the family, and I sometimes use GarageBand to fool around with our M-Audio 88ES (I probably should have mentioned that earlier). And, wow, zman, I did not know that Linux could do that. My main desktop happens to use Linux after a friend installed PCLinuxOS on it. I'm not sure if I would need to use the Ubuntu version of Linux for that to work. Thank you for your response as well.

Rob, that Nord Piano has just what I'm looking for as far as piano sounds go. I also looked into the Apogee device called "ONE." I guess that would be similar to the Alesis PalmTrack, which is a device that records WAV and MP3 after being connected to the audio outputs from your instrument. I hope that either device would do well for recording a keyboard such as the Nord.

Thanks, everyone.

Jason

Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1612495
02/04/11 08:22 AM
02/04/11 08:22 AM
United Kingdom
R
Rimmer Offline
Rimmer  Offline
R

United Kingdom
Hi, Rimmer. Thanks for your suggestion. I also looked into the Apogee device called "ONE."

Remember the Apogee ONE is called ONE for a reason. It has only one input so you'd have to record a keyboard in Mono which is defeating your objective. I'd look at the Duet for your purposes.

Apogee make premiere interfaces, generally for Mac's so you pay more for their superior converter quality. Great machines from a great company..!

Regards. Rimmer

Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1612504
02/04/11 08:47 AM
02/04/11 08:47 AM
Auckland, NZ
S
Siriosys Offline
Siriosys  Offline
S

Auckland, NZ
Good point about the ONE Rimmer,

+1 for the Apogee Duet though.

Although, it's Firewire only which can be a bit annoying, however, any time I've tried something else in a similar or lower price bracket I keep finding myself going back to the Duet - simply because of the recording quality I get from it. Superb converters!

......my only gripe is that there's no full 64bit support yet and there's such a huge jump from the Duet to the next model up - The Ensemble.

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
Re: Digital Piano/Stage Piano Recording [Re: JasonJacoby] #1612715
02/04/11 04:03 PM
02/04/11 04:03 PM
Nashville, Tennessee
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member
PianoZac  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nashville, Tennessee
JasonJacoby,

I'm loving the NP88. I haven't recorded it yet, but I've rehearsed several times with my trio now, and we all 'hear' and acoustic piano. Obviously not really, but all the imperfections are there. It's a fabulous stage piano. It records even better IMHO, judging by the recordings Dave Ferris did when he had the Nord.

http://www.divshare.com/download/12844997-d39

But as others have said, the best virtual piano sounds are the huge samples coming from software run through a computer. I'm recording the new Bosendorfer Piano sample next week so I'll report in my findings. The Bosendorfer is just shy of 200MB compared to the next biggest sample, the Grand Lady D Steinway (78.2MB) which sounds great recorded.

Kawai MP7SE

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio GP-300 or GP-400?
by Tenor1. 08/25/19 12:30 AM
Brodmann or Palatino?
by Janette C. 08/24/19 11:34 PM
For those good at playing by ear
by writebynight. 08/24/19 10:08 PM
For Those Good at Playing by Ear
by writebynight. 08/24/19 10:07 PM
Henle customer service - a good report
by Sam S. 08/24/19 08:20 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,714
Posts2,862,239
Members94,239
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission