Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
147 registered members (anotherscott, 36251, AlphaBravoCharlie, Abdol, ando, Alex Hutor, akc42, Animisha, 31 invisible), 3,638 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? #1609206
01/31/11 03:46 AM
01/31/11 03:46 AM
T
TheNoobPianist Offline OP
TheNoobPianist  Offline OP
T

I'm currently in search for my first DP. The SuperNATURAL sound technology from Roland seems to be very nice and I think it should be in every DP.

Roland's video about SuperNATURAL Sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6zHr5-aDNI

Any other maker has similar sound technology as this?

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: TheNoobPianist] #1609207
01/31/11 03:55 AM
01/31/11 03:55 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
3000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
[Linked Image]

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: TheNoobPianist] #1609208
01/31/11 04:01 AM
01/31/11 04:01 AM
Italy
Qbert Offline
Qbert  Offline

Italy
grin

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m
Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: TheNoobPianist] #1609218
01/31/11 04:23 AM
01/31/11 04:23 AM
Hancock Park LA (not again)
D
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Dr Popper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted by TheNoobPianist

Any other maker has similar sound technology as this?

Not yet, Not soon, but not too far away.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: TheNoobPianist] #1609284
01/31/11 08:08 AM
01/31/11 08:08 AM
C
curt88 Offline
curt88  Offline
C

The SuperNATURAL sound technology from Roland seems to be very nice and I think it should be in every DP.

Attention DP Manufacturers!!! HE DIDN'T MEAN THAT!!

Please, as you were...
Curt

Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: TheNoobPianist] #1609286
01/31/11 08:21 AM
01/31/11 08:21 AM
F
FredFabulous Offline
FredFabulous  Offline
F

PianoTeq, V-Piano. +1 to above.

RD-700NX (25 nov 2010)
Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: TheNoobPianist] #1609654
01/31/11 05:27 PM
01/31/11 05:27 PM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
I'm currently in search for my first DP. The SuperNATURAL sound technology from Roland seems to be very nice and I think it should be in every DP.

The SN sound is not universally liked by everyone. Technical superiority does not equate with musical superiority.

Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: TheNoobPianist] #1609662
01/31/11 05:39 PM
01/31/11 05:39 PM
Redondo Beach, California
C
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChrisA  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C

Redondo Beach, California

Some people don't like it and prefer sample based sounds. My opinion is that SN sounds better than all but the better computer based samples.

I think DPs are headed to a kind of hybrid where the audio data stored in the piano is derived from samples but is highly proceed and drives a kind of model. Roland's "SN" is one attempt at this and I think there is room for more

Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: spanishbuddha] #1609769
01/31/11 07:42 PM
01/31/11 07:42 PM
Northern NJ
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dewster  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Northern NJ
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
The SN sound is not universally liked by everyone.

Yes, and I can understand why. It has a very definite sonic signature, darker than most of what we hear today with all the super bright Japanese and Korean pianos about. I actually prefer the bright sound of our Young Chang, so the SN sound is something of an adjustment for me, and I am definitely coping with it. There are also phasey artifacts in the decays of some SN notes that are more apparent once you've played around with it. The decay of D6 sounds dead, like an overprocessed loop. I'm still in the experimental phase with ours so I don't know how much that can be eliminated or masked (though probably not much). The pedal sympathetic resonance seems fairly nice though, and it has a gazillion adjustments as it is obviously an in-line DSP effect.

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Technical superiority does not equate with musical superiority.

I think I get what you're saying here and I mostly agree with it. But for me, a person who just cannot stand audible looping, I'll take SN over virtually everything else out there for that reason alone. Additionally it is unstretched, which trumps most DPs (with the notable exception of all somewhat newer Kawais and Yamaha AG) and I hate audible stretching almost as much as I hate audible looping. Both grate on my ears and scream "listen to this butchered sample set!" Granted SN is in many ways a butchered sample set too, but it's done with more finesse.

SN passes all the tests in the DPBSD (silent replay, half-pedaling, quick damping, key sympathetic resonance, etc.) and some of those can be important to your playing technique.

That said, I long for the day when there will be a variety of DPs with >4GB sample sets out and about in the marketplace. It's not that I listened to SN and fell in love with the sound, it's that the competition is so crudely compressed that I almost can't care about it, and I ended up owning a SN DP more by default than anything else.

Last edited by dewster; 01/31/11 07:58 PM.
Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: dewster] #1610069
02/01/11 07:06 AM
02/01/11 07:06 AM
Reading, UK
V
Vectistim Offline
Vectistim  Offline
V

Reading, UK
Originally Posted by dewster
SN passes all the tests in the DPBSD (silent replay, half-pedaling, quick damping, key sympathetic resonance, etc.) and some of those can be important to your playing technique.

Is it just me that wants a sample set that includes separate samples for when the piano pedal is pressed?

(Not that I would immediately go and get such a machine, but I don't understand why it doesn't seem to be in the top end machines, so that it might filter down to the lower models in some years' time.)

Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: TheNoobPianist] #1610084
02/01/11 08:07 AM
02/01/11 08:07 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
3000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
That's because of the half-pedal. Damper resonance is different depending on the degree to which damper pedal is pressed in addition to note sustain. Most of the current sample libraries use such samples and it sounds very unnatural even with those supporting half-pedal because you press the damper pedal very lightly and you can hear the resonance at its maximum level as though the damper has been fully depressed and that's extremely annoying. Damper resonance should be a separate effect, not just sample. Furthermore, the resonance itself is very complicated. On a real piano the order in which you play notes with damper pedal matters, because overtones are different each time, so the resulting resonance is unique and extremely dependant on each note played, its velocity and its order in time. That's why modeled pianos are the future but still not the present unfortunately.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: ChrisA] #1610153
02/01/11 11:09 AM
02/01/11 11:09 AM
Hobart, Australia
A
ando Online content
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Hobart, Australia
Originally Posted by ChrisA

Some people don't like it and prefer sample based sounds. My opinion is that SN sounds better than all but the better computer based samples.

I think DPs are headed to a kind of hybrid where the audio data stored in the piano is derived from samples but is highly proceed and drives a kind of model. Roland's "SN" is one attempt at this and I think there is room for more

Don't the two bolded statements contradict each other?

The SN used in the HP series is sample-based with added information designed to replicate various features like resonance, hammer type, hammer velocity, pedalling. I actually think it's slightly better than the present V-piano due to it's reference to real piano sampling. There's no question that the SN has improved the velocity layer issue. It's all still evolving and has some way to go. I don't see myself buying a DP for a while yet because I think there will be some enormous improvements in the next 5 years. Until then, I'll stick with my trusty U3.

Re: Any other like SuperNATURAL sound tech? [Re: TheNoobPianist] #1610414
02/01/11 04:52 PM
02/01/11 04:52 PM
Nashville, Tennessee
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member
PianoZac  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nashville, Tennessee
There isn't anything available from the manufacturers that's built in like SuperNATURAL tech. It's really really great stuff. I commend Roland for upping the ante. If I could figure out a way to tweak the Roland piano sound so that it could cut through better, my dream board (outside of my Nord Piano wink ) would be a ~40lb, PHA III Ivory Feel with the LCD screen of the NX, combined with a SuperNATURAL piano library for which to upload like on the Nord. That'd be a spectacular board.

You know I've found through my tiresome, expensive frown pursuit of finding the ideal stage piano that sounds, plays, feels good, while at the same time not breaking my back to move, that in the end, there won't be a best in all categories. Only a best 'compromise'. For me, and I stress for me, it was the Nord Piano. No it doesn't have the best piano action, no it doesn't have the cleanest most technical sound, no it's not the most feature-laden, and no it's not end-all-be-all, but is at worst case good in all the areas, and arguably excels beyond what else is out to me. It's light, plays well, sounds incredible, is uber-flexible, comes standard with the triple-pedal unit, which for me is super nice, is simply laid out, and offers the best set of compromises overall for what I need.

If I had the money, I'd have kept my RD-700GXF along with the Nord Piano because I do miss the RD SN and I miss the action, but I don't miss how terrible the Roland w/ SN sounds live, nor do I miss the length/weight. It still puzzles me that the DP manufacturers continue pushing out pianos they claim for stage use that weigh near 60lbs, and some even more!

Kawai MP7SE

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai k300 or top end hybrid/digital
by daz100. 08/21/19 06:02 AM
Home upright piano sound?
by Yuri Pavlov. 08/21/19 01:08 AM
Queen Victorian's Piano at the Proms
by WhoDwaldi. 08/20/19 11:33 PM
Why play on the black keys as a beginner?
by Andamento. 08/20/19 09:59 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,652
Posts2,861,075
Members94,211
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission