2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by joeb84
Originally Posted by Minniemay
But I also have a tendency to not commit or stick to anything

Just sayin' . . .

You're going to have to be a bit more mature if you want any results.

This I know...I do it in all aspects of my life, not only my piano studies. That is why I don't make it very far. It's hard to help, it's the way I was raised. I'm used to teaching myself everything.

I really HOPE you're jesting with us!

L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I really don't think it's right for people to judge and act like it's such a simple thing to solve.

Just because he knows he has that problem, doesn't mean he can necessarily fix it just as easily. Being 'more mature' wouldn't solve it either.

It takes a lot of time and hard work to break a pattern like that. I know a lot of people who are smart and capable, and it's not just because they are lazy that they don't stick with things or know more than they do.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ll
I really don't think it's right for people to judge and act like it's such a simple thing to solve.

Just because he knows he has that problem, doesn't mean he can necessarily fix it just as easily. Being 'more mature' wouldn't solve it either.

It takes a lot of time and hard work to break a pattern like that. I know a lot of people who are smart and capable, and it's not just because they are lazy that they don't stick with things or know more than they do.

No, it's not easy. Breaking old habits or the way a person was taught something or the way their mind was trained is not an easy task at hand.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
And it will keep being hard if you allow yourself to blame your past. Been there, done that.

Recognize the past for what it was, but don't let it determine your future. That's called developing strength of character. It won't be easy, but you can do it if you really want to. My father did it, I did it. You can do it, too.

Best of luck to you!

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
M
M
This I know...I do it in all aspects of my life, not only my piano studies. That is why I don't make it very far. It's hard to help, it's the way I was raised. I'm used to teaching myself everything.

Regarding self study, interview with lots of teachers and be open. When I was looking for a teacher (for another instrument), I made sure to state that I would look elsewhere, such as videos and books, to compliment my lessons. Some teachers will take offense to this while others understand that some people are more resourceful and take initiative to find various methods and materials.

Being open about this will also help your teacher adjust to your style. You will find yourself advancing much faster in some areas where it's easier to research and study on your own, while needing improvement in others areas where the guidance from your teacher will help tremendously.

E
E
A teacher is worth the money plus some. I would give up the power bill before I gave up lessons with my teacher. a book does not teach you timing, how to fluently move your arms and wrists, how to appreciate the song, how to look for all the small details and apply them to the song. YES YES YES it is worth the money. At the same time you do not want to waist your money, look for a teacher with a degree, look at how many years they have been teaching, ask to meet with them and see how you 2 connect.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

No gold stars on the board?

My teacher NEVER gives me a gold star! All the little kids look down their noses at me, always flashing their stars at me as they leave class! :-)

To be serious, a teacher is well worth it. A book will teach you target practice and get you to hit the correct notes. A teacher will show you how to play musically, with proper rhythm and dynamics.

After a bit of time to get comfortable with each other (I'm a 54 year old geezer, she's a 20 year old college student) we work very well together. And she appreciates being able to have adult conversations about music!

Gary
E
E
Originally Posted by Gary Schenk

No gold stars on the board?

My teacher NEVER gives me a gold star! All the little kids look down their noses at me, always flashing their stars at me as they leave class! :-)

To be serious, a teacher is well worth it. A book will teach you target practice and get you to hit the correct notes. A teacher will show you how to play musically, with proper rhythm and dynamics.

After a bit of time to get comfortable with each other (I'm a 54 year old geezer, she's a 20 year old college student) we work very well together. And she appreciates being able to have adult conversations about music!

Very funny about the gold stars, I thought that was great. I was wondering last week why I did not get stickers anymore, I stopped getting stickers when I was 10 i think. I am 24 now.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elysia
I stopped getting stickers when I was 10 i think. I am 24 now.

Growing up is just one disappointment after another... It can get depressing! eek

Gary
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Growing up is just one disappointment after another... It can get depressing! eek

Yeah, I noticed. It only gets worse too. Being a kid's the best times of your life.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
At the same time you do not want to waist your money, look for a teacher with a degree, look at how many years they have been teaching, ask to meet with them and see how you 2 connect.

A degree is no guarantee that the teacher has the gift of teaching. Degrees mean that they have studied music, so at least you know that they know music. But the ability to teach it is something else altogether.

Choosing a teacher by their degree is like looking for someone to build you a house, and only looking at their degrees from construction school (if there is such a school...this in an analogy).

Also, how many years teaching does not mean a lot. Shoddy contractors can be in business for quite a while.

What is important is to look at their students, and see how they play.

Looking at their students is like looking at the houses that the contractor has already built. That is solid evidence.

Also, what kind of reputation the teacher has in the community from parents or previous students.

And yes, you should meet and see how you connect with the teacher. All that is important.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
E
E

well gee, I always try to stay posative about life, but your right. that darn sticker thing is probably going to be the first of many dissapointments isnt it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88

What is important is to look at their students, and see how they play.

If I got to a recital, and most of the students play well (assuming that I know what "well" means), will this tell me whether those students can read notes? If they are advanced, did they have a hand in interpreting the music, and have they learned how? Can I tell whether their teacher drilled that one piece into them for six months, choreographing every motion and every sound, so that the recital will be impressive? Have those students been given knowledge and skills which will allow them one day to approach pieces independently, and continue growing?

If some of the students are not playing impressive, is it because they are poorly taught, or because they were allowed to take risks and dared take them?

I don't know if I care about a degree. But I do want the teacher to know enough, and to know how to teach, as well as being interested in teaching. I also want to know what he intends to teach me, and what kinds of things he finds important. I cannot get that by watching students perform.

Recently I watched an introductory demo on the site of a PW teacher here. She talked of her teaching philosophy and goals, and at the same time we saw scenes from actual lessons. I don't think there was a polished recital piece in the whole demo and that suited me fine. There were ideas of how this person might teach, and how students interact. This is much more important to me than the end product of a finished piece, whether I am a parent or an adult student.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

well gee, I always try to stay posative about life, but your right. that darn sticker thing is probably going to be the first of many dissapointments isnt it.

Actually, no! Life only gets better. But the lack of stickers and lollipops can psychologically scar you for life! laugh

Gary
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You can learn to cut hair from a book. Would you cut your own hair?...no because you can't see what you are doing!

A teacher:

Gives you important feedback.
Keeps you progressing (long and short term)
Helps you deal with technical difficulties
Recommends appropriate pieces to play to meet your needs
Answers questions you might have

You just can't get this from a book.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think this is a question only you can answer.

Is it worth the money? It depends on how you value money. If you've got millions, $50 a week means nothing to you. If you're a starving college student, it means a lot.

Is having a teacher better than not having one (money issues aside)? I would think the answer to that question would be obvious. A self study book will not answer any of your unanswered questions, give you feedback on your playing, posture, hand positions, timing or the like. A self study book will not motivate you or inspire you in any way, or to give you encouragement when you need it the most (there will be many ups and downs in your piano studies).

I cannot imagine my piano studies without a teacher and, if I were to take an educated guess, would eventually quit out of sheer frustration (even though I don't like to think of myself as a quitter) at my lack of progress.

It's really a question you must decide for yourself if its worth the money "for you."

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stanza
You can learn to cut hair from a book. Would you cut your own hair?...no because you can't see what you are doing!
<...>
You just can't get this from a book.

I just had to laugh at this! I woke up this morning and cut my own hair - lots of it, front and back. Not talking just a trim here*

Does this explain why I can't commit to regular piano lessons!!! Am coming up to my third lesson in a row this Friday. I think my record for weekly lessons is probably about 6. Wish me luck!

As to whether lessons are worth doing, I think it depends on the students. For some people I suppose it probably isn't worth it much of the time. A useful lesson is comprised of 2 components: student + teacher. As an adult you can teach yourself as much as possible and then let the teacher do the work that you can't (e.g. the physical way to play this bit, or the most useful piece for you next taking into consideration your long term development).

I would pay my teacher 3 times the rate I do (in fact I often try to give her more per lesson but she won't let me... another story). She does 2 main things for me: increases my rate of improvement by a rate of about 3 times, and lifts the ceiling of my ultimate "level", considerably - and this is the most valuable. It's not that she actually does this, it's that with her as my coach I can learn faster and achieve a higher level. I love working on my own and am very committed to it, so I am lucky to have a teacher that is perfect for me, and allows me to have lessons on a casual basis.

Oh and cycling to lessons makes me fit! BIG hill!! Wow, bonus gym class - yes lessons are worth it for me.

Can (fitter, and with shorter hair)*no i will not post a photo wink

C
C
Any particular set of books you would recommend for an adult beginner?

Without going into lengthy details about the merits of lessons which there are many, I will just tell you from my own experience the following: I've played piano since I was 8 years old, and I'm now 50. Over those 42 years I've had long periods of taking lessons, and long periods of not taking lessons. I've found that when I'm taking lessons with the right teacher my playing improves dramatically faster than the slow progress I make on my own.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission