2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Good suggestion.. sadly not always taken. I e mail assignments for each student right after lessons, and invariably remind to bring materials that are enumerated. The parent, by and large gets these and filters to the child.

Which brings up the matter of why we need the SUPPORT of parents in this individualized piano teaching adventure. I find that if parents aren't significantly committed to what's required from the get go, and if after several reminders they still do not get with the program, then it's extremely difficult to navigate the terrain.

In the case of the example referenced, the parent shouldered the blame for two consecutive weeks of absent materials, and frankly, it was again, a sports driven excuse. The student, of course, should have packed up the music the night before, and didn't so the dad can be partially off the hook. Nonetheless, I still see a sad imbalance of priorities, and when push comes to shove, basketball right now reigns. Given all my sports analogies that are meant to get the student back on task, it's futile when both the parent and child don't perceive the importance of bringing materials.

I am sure we could all write books about this and other issues surrounding the teaching profession.

http://arioso7.wordpress.com

C
C
Originally Posted by music32
There is not adequate room to add this URL. P/W doesn't have the space.

Hope that explains.

http://arioso7.wordpress is just a home page not directed to a specific blog.

You might try compressing the last 3 or 4 lines by inserting semi-colons between them. Or put the credentials into your profile.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Why not just punish the student?

Turn the lesson into a worksheet-doing session.

Double their homework.

Make them copy standards, or write "I will remember to bring my books" 100 times.

Make them copy 5 pages of text from any biography of composers.

Just say no to laziness and chronic forgetfulness!!!

Wow!! Me, I would rather get my knuckles rapped..

Forgetting music happens.. Do not take it too personally..

Last edited by Andromaque; 01/22/11 09:33 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have copies of all the method materials and repertoire collections my students use, so I just pull 'em off the shelf.

I can't write in them, so I just write notes in the assignment sheets that I always send home.

Also, I can't imagine using homework or worksheets as punishment. Worksheets and homework are supposed to be learning experiences! I think it sends a very mixed message when we use a potential learning experience as punishment. (It constantly amazes me how teachers always assume that students dislike theory. One wonders if students dislike theory because our attitude tells them they're supposed to?)

In very rare cases where disciplinary action is required, I simply have students sit in a chair in the corner while I catch up on paperwork. The message is clear:

Not Playing the Piano = Punishment

In the last three years, I've had to send students to the chair only three times. So far, the record time for sitting in the chair is 6 minutes. At that point, the student stood up and announced they were ready to continue. I said "Good! I was starting to get bored. Let's get back to work!"

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
+1 Kreisler!

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Not Playing the Piano = Punishment

I disagree. Some kids (especially those who frequently forget to bring books) will actually cheer as they are being sent to the corner. Obviously, none of us has those students. whistle

I have no problem using work as punishment. In English classes, many kids often forget to bring books, so their teacher makes them copy the dictionary as punishment. In Math classes, math worksheets. Or the teacher will assign 1-32 all (instead of 1-32 odds) for homework.

Of course, teachers, psychologists, and parents can disagree all they want. I'm pretty sure this topic has been addressed in numerous books in Education Psychology, from all angles and positions.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Why not make comparisons to other activities as a starter. Like, if you didn't bring your homework, binder, pens/pencils to school what would be the consequences.

They, and often their parents just don't put piano lessons in the same league as SCHOOL, sports and whatever else is higher up on their agenda.

I guess there has to be a kind of educational enlightenment that involves more than the student.

I have had kids enrolled in lessons for years, who still slide when it comes to a sense of responsibility where lessons are concerned as well as practice/preparation required.

We sometimes hear parents say, they want their children "exposed" to music, the implication being that lessons are intended as a more superficial or casual engagement. I think this is a territory that is therefore, often tricky to navigate.

Last edited by music32; 01/23/11 11:11 AM.
The worst is when you assign them a few pages in their theory or notespeller books, then they groan and say, "I already have so much homework this week..." like they think this is just goofy optional stuff that we assign them just for torturing purposes??

"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away." -Thoreau
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Yes, if I had a dollar for every time a student said he or she "forgot" to do the theory assignment, I could retire to Carmel by the Sea, and live in the lap of luxury.

Schedule their lesson in a google calendar or iCal. Add them as an attendee. Then set an email reminder to be sent to them every week at a set time, morning of lesson/night before.

Go here ---> Piano Teaching Blog
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission