2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
balian Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi.

I want to buy the PX-130 for it's apparently more advanced technology (linear morphing system, 4 dynamic levels etc), but on the other hand I hear the keys are a lot heavier than on the Yamaha, which is a negative for me. Is it very noticeable that the technology in the Yamaha is older, like when it shifts between the preset levels as you press the keys with different velocity?

The ultimate resource in hair removal - from ingrown hair removal to guides on how to exfoliate and how to use an epilator Being Hairless.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by balian
I want to buy the PX-130 for it's apparently more advanced technology (linear morphing system, 4 dynamic levels etc), but on the other hand I hear the keys are a lot heavier than on the Yamaha, which is a negative for me. Is it very noticeable that the technology in the Yamaha is older, like when it shifts between the preset levels as you press the keys with different velocity?

I happen to think that the P95 feels and sounds more natural, more like a real piano, despite weaker specs on paper. But there are people here who prefer the PX-130. The only way you'll know what you prefer is to play them for yourself. (People also like the Korg SP-170 in this price range.)

balian Offline OP
OP Offline
Allright, I'll do that. Thanks.

On a side note, I came across a peculiar review of the PX-330 where the reviewer claims that it has better action and sampling than the PX-130. I was pretty sure they were identical except for some extra features and outs on the PX-330?

Then I decided to try the PX-330, which was only about $100 more than the PX-130. I WAS BLOWN AWAY. I never imagined that for under $600 you could get something that really feels and sounds like a piano. The action is firm and responsive - no "toy" feeling at all, and noticeably better than the models one step down. The sound is excellent, the dynamic range is excellent, and the power and resonance in the bass range are MUCH greater than the slightly cheaper ones.

The ultimate resource in hair removal - from ingrown hair removal to guides on how to exfoliate and how to use an epilator Being Hairless.
R
R
Balian,

It's my understanding that the two have the same identical action by design. I've got the PX 130. I find that it's not what you read or hear about. It's easier than my acoustic Yamaha upright piano. Selecting (1) on the touch respons control seems to give it an easier touch as well, thoght it's really not actually lightening the touch. I have not tried any DP other than this one so I can't say one is better than the other. If you're that concerned, you will have to try both to decide but I don't really think there's much to be concerned about. Sound, reliability and half-way decent quality are more important to me. I will say that I love the sound of my PX 130 (through headphones) and that's without trying any other model accept for what I've heard on UTube demos.

Russ

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by balian
I came across a peculiar review of the PX-330 where the reviewer claims that it has better action and sampling than the PX-130. I was pretty sure they were identical except for some extra features and outs on the PX-330?

Then I decided to try the PX-330, which was only about $100 more than the PX-130. I WAS BLOWN AWAY. I never imagined that for under $600 you could get something that really feels and sounds like a piano. The action is firm and responsive - no "toy" feeling at all, and noticeably better than the models one step down. The sound is excellent, the dynamic range is excellent, and the power and resonance in the bass range are MUCH greater than the slightly cheaper ones.

I have played the PX-330 a decent amount... but played the PX-130 only briefly at a store, next to a PX-330. I did not notice any different feel. (I used to think that the PX-3 felt only a little better, but I have come to think it feels noticeably better, though still a little heavy/sluggish feeling for my taste.)

I was under the impression that the PX-330 and PX-130 piano sample were identical, but I heard the 130 so briefly that I wouldn't want to promise it. Maybe someone can send Dewster a PX-130 sample to confirm. I am not thrilled with the PX-330 piano sound... I would be curious to know if the PX-130 sound is actually worse...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I played the PX-3 and was surprised how far along Casio has come with their actions and sound, but the action felt sluggish to me as well. I think for the money, Casio has some very compelling little digital pianos.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I have played the PX-330 a decent amount... but played the PX-130 only briefly at a store, next to a PX-330. I did not notice any different feel. (I used to think that the PX-3 felt only a little better, but I have come to think it feels noticeably better, though still a little heavy/sluggish feeling for my taste.)

The action on the current series of Casio PX-30 series digitals is lighter than the older Casio Privia that I have. I really notice the difference whenever I play a new Privia. I remember my fingers used to tire after playing for an hour or so. Now they don't bother me anymore. I've gotton used to the action.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 01/18/11 02:06 AM.
A
A
Personally I don't find trust in a company that specializes in calculators, just like I don't trust Hewlett Packard in digital camera market. I mean, would you trust Toyota if they would make digital pianos? Would there be a reason why you would purchase Toyota DP over Yamaha one?

Yamaha on the other hand is something you see a lot of pros use in music business. Korg is another pro manufacturer in music business although I haven't seen them as much in piano business. I still own SP-170 and am very satisfied with my DP. I chose Korg over Yamaha because

1. Key action, I liked in better on Korg SP-170

2. SP-170 has two headphones output

Soundwise, I bet Yamaha wins but I am not the hifi-type person who counts seconds as to how long the note sustains and am not into analyzing sound as to how realistic it is. For me, SP-170 sounds beautiful and that is what made the final decision.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Artur Gajewski
Personally I don't find trust in a company that specializes in calculators, just like I don't trust Hewlett Packard in digital camera market. I mean, would you trust Toyota if they would make digital pianos? Would there be a reason why you would purchase Toyota DP over Yamaha one?

Yamaha on the other hand

Yamaha on the other hand makes boat engines and motorbikes. :-)

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
The action on the current series of Casio PX-30 series digitals is lighter than the older Casio Privia that I have

I guess they have used a variety of actions over the years. Which model is your older Privia?

I thought the PX-500L keyboard was a little better than the PX-310 keyboard, but that both were lighter (less sluggish feeling) than the PX-330 or PX-3.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The action on the current series of Casio PX-30 series digitals is lighter than the older Casio Privia that I have

I guess they have used a variety of actions over the years. Which model is your older Privia?

I thought the PX-500L keyboard was a little better than the PX-310 keyboard, but that both were lighter (less sluggish feeling) than the PX-330 or PX-3.

I have the PX-575. Interesting that I think the PX-30 more closely resembles the P-95 in feel.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Arthur,
Does this mean you would not consider buying a motorcycle or dirtbike from Yamaha because they are mostly known for their keyboards? Most large companies make a range of products now a days. In Casio's case they have made musical instruments for over 30 years in addition to watches, calculators, POS systems, and digital cameras and other stuff.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Most large companies make a range of products now a days. In Casio's case they have made musical instruments for over 30 years in addition to watches, calculators, POS systems

yeah, Casio has made some POS. Luckily, they've made some great stuff too.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I have the PX-575. Interesting that I think the PX-30 more closely resembles the P-95 in feel.

Can you correct the PX-30 typo? Not sure if you mean PX-3, PX-330, whatever...

I thought the P-95 feel was pretty close to the PX-500L.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I have been meaning the PX-130/330/830. Those are the ones I have played recently. I have never tried a PX-3 as no place I have been has one to demo. What do you think of the new Korg Kronos?

M
M
So does this mean the PX-130 will function as a calculator also? I missed that in the manual...

R
R
Arthur,
Does this mean you would not consider buying a motorcycle or dirtbike from Yamaha because they are mostly known for their keyboards? Most large companies make a range of products now a days. In Casio's case they have made musical instruments for over 30 years in addition to watches, calculators, POS systems, and digital cameras and other stuff.

You have that backwords. Yamaha started out making motorcycles, I believe.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
R
R
Originally Posted by mflander
So does this mean the PX-130 will function as a calculator also? I missed that in the manual...

Only from a tonal perspective. Music is based on mathematics so why not include a caculator. lol

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
Yamaha started out making motorcycles, I believe.

A reed organ was the first product of Yamaha :

1887: JUL Torakusu Yamaha builds his first reed organ and begins taking orders for more.

1954: AUG The company's expertise in metallurgical technologies leads to the manufacture of the first Yamaha motorcycle, the YA-1. First-year production: 125.

R
R

You realize, I hope, that a harder action like you have with an acoustic strengthens your fingers and that’s good for you in the long run. I’ve had my PX 130 now for about 3 weeks and my hands never ached so much after the first night of getting use to it. My older DP that I played for years has a very light organ-like touch to it. I also have an old Yamaha upright acoustic piano but I never play it because it’s always out of tune and sounds awful. After 3 weeks of beating the keys to death on my PX 130, I can say I’m playing stronger, better and with greater accuracy than ever before and it feels good to. I don’t know and can’t say this one DP is harder than another but regardless of any slight difference, having it is a benefit to anyone who learned by a lighter touch.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission