2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1597576 01/14/11 08:35 PM
S
Scrly Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My parents have offered us their Yamaha G3 grand piano (for free). It is a 31 year old piano, and has basically been a nice piece of furniture for them since I last played it about 25 years ago. It was tuned and appraised recently for $8500. I do not play and my children just started lessons this year. I believe it will cost us $2000 to move it across the country. As we don't have serious piano players (yet), am I better off buying an upright piano for less or would I be a fool to pass this up? Perhaps I can't find a good quality upright for much less than this anyway?
Does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about the Yamaha G3. I am told the appraiser gave it all "A" ratings except for a B+ for finish, as the sun has lightened it over the years.

Thank you.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
You sure couldn't replace it for $2,000. If it's too large for your use, you could see for the appraised price or donate to a church or nonprofit and get tax credit for it.

Jack in TN

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I don't think you will find much in an upright for less than two grand. So, if you like this instrument and have room for it, I don't think you can beat the deal. Besides, it will make your parents happy for the grandkids to have it.

If it turns out to be the wrong piano for your home, it will have a fairly good trade-in value if you go for a different model.

Clef

Y
Y
I have a Yamaha G2 which is 33 years old, close to the age of yours. I bought it and had it delivered for $7000. This was going to be an interim piano, but I liked the way it sounded and played with old strings and even needing regulation. My technician said there is a great piano hiding there and recommended that I restring it and have the action regulated. I paid an additional $7000 to have that done. For a total cost of $14,000 I know I could have gotten a nice C3 or maybe larger, but this piano has new strings, damper felts, voiced hammers, and the action plays beautifully,and it has a wonderful tone with a great bass and a long sustain. It has Schaff base strings and Roslau treble which are both high quality.

For $2000 to have it shipped plus say $7000 of work you could have one heck of a piano. My piano has a very nice bass, yours would be even better. The G3 is a nice full-sized grand.

I have read in several places that Yamaha grands built during this period used very high quality materials that were still available at that time.

Good luck with your decision making. Yamahas are great pianos.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi, Scrly, and welcome to the PW forums!

In my opinion, not only would you be getting a family heirloom, but you would be getting a very nice, name brand piano. I think it is well worth $2000 to have it moved. Pianos like that, even in mediocre condition, can sell for upwards of $10K easily.

Congratulations on such a nice gift!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
The G3 is one heck of a piano and worth much more than $2000. I would go for it. Do some research as it may not be a full $2000 to move it. Call your local piano shop, they might have some way to get it to you much cheaper. In any case, get more quotes on the moving.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
M
M
Originally Posted by Scrly
I believe it will cost us $2000 to move it across the country.

Why are you so confident about the cost to move it? I would suggest you to get some quotes. Sometimes moving to countryA from countryB cost more than twice as much as moving to countryB from countryA.

S
Scrly Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for your responses. It sounds like an opportunity I shouldn't miss and perhaps I need to work harder at checking for a better moving price. I am pleased to hear so many comments that this piano has potential to be a very good instrument. Thanks again for sharing your valuable wisdom.

R
R
I would agree that you "need to shop around" for movers. We moved a Yamaha grand from New York City to San Diego for under a $1000 not too many years ago. It might not travel direct but it would get there.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A few thoughts:

1. It is a great piano that is light years ahead of anything you can buy for $2000.

2. Learning to play on such a fine instrument will be the best environment possible for your children, and will help them to play at their best.

3. When I was learning, my parents got rid of a junky upright and bought a nice small grand...and I always felt I needed to practice to honor that financial sacrifice they made. It literally shamed me through some juvenile "I don't want to practice" times.

4. With moving pianos, stairs and other entry problems make the price high. The distance not so much.

Please get the piano!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission