2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
IgG Offline OP
OP Offline
I
We are looking to buy a new piano. For the piano we want, the local dealer only have 2 of them on display in the showroom. According to the dealer, these are new pianos they got in 2010. Should we be concerned that the piano was on display? or should we ask them to get a new one? They mentioned that new piano coming in will have a higher price because Yamaha will raise their price very soon. Thank you for your help

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Do a search on dealer preparation (or just prep) and you'll find lots on answers to your question. All manufacturers send instruments to dealers that require some degree of dealer prep. If you buy a piano new in the box the dealer won't have the opportunity to do any of it.

I would only buy an instrument I've played. Pianos aren't like TVs or refrigerators (or even digital pianos), they may be produced in mass, but they aren't all the same. I want to play the instrument I buy so I know what I'm getting. If anything you should ask for a better discount on the new one because it wouldn't have received any dealer prep.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

You are better off getting the display piano, as it has been setup and settled down, something a new piano is likely not
to have done to it.

Take care

Steve

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The two answers you've received above are good. Remember, a piano is essentially an instrument mostly made from wood, and wood takes time to age and settle. An instrument built in 2010 is still settling in. If it plays well in the show room, you're off to a good start. A 2011 out of the crate is totally unknown.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
I
IgG Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thank you for your replies. I am buying a piano for my daughter. I don't play piano myself and don't have any experience. I know every piano is different, but to me, they all sound the same. So how can I tell if the piano is good or not? or maybe I should pay a piano technician to go with me to test the piano? Thanks

If the piano were used, not simply played on a showroom floor over a period of time, I'd probably want a tech's opinion, or if the dealer were questionable.

I bought my piano as a non-player. However, I did plenty of homework, including a lot of reading/searching here, and the Piano Book. Here's an online supplement to get you going: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/cdabc8f8#/cdabc8f8/1

As I shopped, I became more knowledgeable. I had the salesmen play a variety of pieces for me, and toward the end, I brought along a pianist friend who played for me. I played a couple of scales and simple melodies to feel the differences. Added it all up, and made my choice. I recommend only buying a piano that you've played (or heard played). Maybe you could treat a teacher to lunch (or some other compensation) for a little time spent shopping with you. (Or a tech if you know he plays as well.)

Mason & Hamlin "A" -- 21466 (1913)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Technicians are great at evaluating the physical state of the instrument. Some teachers are good at evaluating the touch and tone of instruments. How old is your daughter? What is her current repertoire? How long has she studied? What is your budget (roughly)?

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
I
IgG Offline OP
OP Offline
I
She's 5 and we plan to start her on lessons soon. Our budget is around $6,000.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There are many good uprights in that price range. Depending on where you live and the number of dealers within your practical driving range, you might want to see what each has, and if possible, take along a piano playing friend.

You'll find some instruments are "bright" and others are "mellow."

As a general rule of thumb, you get more piano for the buck if you stay away from designer finishes, fancy woods, etc.

There is a book advertised on the left hand side of this page - Piano Buyer which is a comprehensive guide for piano buyers. I would suggest you purchase a hard copy and spend some time studying it. You can get older editions in most libraries. It was called the Piano Book by Larry Fine. You'll be a smarter buyer if you take the time to study it. However, you'll still want some help evaluating instruments.

One other point, find out what the dealer's policy is on trading up. Some dealers make a big deal of giving you full purchase credit, others do not. You may want to make this you one and only purchase, in which case, it won't matter, and at this price point, you can purchase a quality instrument good for years of study.

I
IgG Offline OP
OP Offline
I
We are currently looking at Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3. But there is no local dealer for Kawai, nearest one is ~ 2 hour driving. Any suggestion on choosing between these two? Thanks

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm the wrong guy to ask. I don't care much for the sound of Yamahas, but many people love them. But there are many more brands than those two. Boston, Essex, Young Chang, Rittmuller, just to scratch the surface.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Very excellent advice all the way around. I assume that your daughter will be taking lessons. First pick a teacher and get their advice. Ask the teacher to meet you at the piano dealer and have them play several pianos and help you pick it out. Typically, the display pianos have been prepped and will have had the required adjustments made. The display pianos are also tuned, so it's easier to hear what sounds better.

Both Yamaha and Kawai are excellent pianos and your daughter is a mighty lucky girl to have the opportunity to be starting on the adventure of learning piano (and also lucky to have loving, caring parents). Either brand will return many wonderful years of enjoyment.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission