2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1596501 01/13/11 03:21 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hey everyone.
New guy here. I have never studied the piano before. I have always wanted to learn. Ive dabbled with the guitar because i could afford it and didnt need lessons with it, but my dream has been to learn the piano. So I recently had a dream that made me decide not to put it off any longer. Unfortunately I need to wait for funds to purchase an instrument and then seek an instructor. Sooo I am here to keep myself sane by reading everyones nice posts about their experience. My name is Brian by the way and I am living in sunny San Diego. Hope everyone is well!

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Only because you've got a mighty decent name Brian (which I share) ... jokes aside, might I welcome you to the Forum and wish you a pleasant stay .
Obviously your first requirement will be a keyboard ... only then will you be able to fully access the amazing info towards learning to play the piano.

Kind regards
btb

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Welcome Brian,

If buying isn't an option, you can look into renting. Often your first year of rent payments can be applied to the purchase price.

If you go with a digital keyboard, be sure to get one with weighted keys!

You've found a great place to talk about your new passion - this is a pretty cheery, friendly group!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
A
Hello Brian and welcome! You have found a really nice place to get your piano related info from.

As a first step, and this is just for safety, is you should get a cheap MIDI keyboard. You can get great ones with semi-weighted keys for about 100 bucks. 49-key is enough to start with, but you might want to get 61. I seriously doubt you will need 88 keys right off the bat.

This way you can play around and see how eager you will be to continue practicing and eventually getting expensive DP or even acoustic ones. I have seen so many people gettin 1000 USD DPs because they got excited, then a month later it just stands there unused.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome!!!!
I am sure that our enthusiasm smile will influence you to buy a keyboard as soon as possible!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You could have a look at the Craigslist website. It has often been mentioned here, and apparently sometimes they even give away free pianos/keyboards, although you would have to pick it up yourself I suppose... They seem to have good bargains at any rate.

Welcome to PW!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I should be playing by the end of February. I will be starting a new job by the end of the month and will eventually be able to purchase my instrument. I finally decided that i was going to take lessons. I want to learn the piano, not just chord progressions and such. Friend of mine has that Learn and Master Piano video set and i was looking at it and it doesnt seem to teach theory or sightreading. If i missed something let me know, but I really want to learn the conventional way. Have been looking at the P85/95 as my starter. I've seen free pianos on Craigslist but i have no where to put one so I will be in the digital world for now. Thanks again for the welcome.

A
A
I've seen the "Learn and Master Piano" but I just didn't like the overall production. While skipping from lesson to lesson, the long welcome song gets annoying, thunders in intro video and small room just adds to my dislike of the set. I wasn't excited about way the guy teaches either.

I have always liked pianolessons.com and Lypur on Youtube. You should check these out if you want video lessons and also for free.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
B
OP Offline
B
Anyone here know if anyone is a Dave Matthews fan? There is a really nice piano solo on one of the live songs. Would love to know if anyone has heard it or has interest in hearing it.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission