2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
OP Offline
F
I listen to lots of underplayed romantic piano concertos lately. Somehow the famous orchestras and pianists often perform only the most famous now days. I mean these:

Rachmaninoff 2,3
Grieg
Tchaikovsky 1
Saint-Saëns 2
Chopin 1,2
Liszt 1,2
Schumann
Brahms 1,2
Gershwin
Mendelssohn 1
Shostakovitch 1,2
Prokofiev 3,5
Beethoven (all of them)

A year ago I head from someone almost all romantic piano composers had written piano concertos (with some strange exceptions like Schubert). There is also a CD compilation of underplayed piano concertos on the Hyperion label. It's more than 50 albums already. Over this year I heard lots of unknown piano concertos by unknown romantic masters. These Piano Concertos I like the most and I recommend to you all.:

Paderewski
Moszkowski
Rubinstein 4
Bortkiewicz 1
Scharwenka 1,4

Listen them on youtube!

Are there any underplayed "Romantic" (plz no Mozart/Haydn) piano concertos that you could recommend to me and this forum? I've not the time or the money for the whole Hyperion set frown

There are so many great "Unpopular" romantic piano concertos!

All of Saint-Saens piano concertos are worth looking into! the fift is my personnal favourite.

to ptomote my owne country, there are two by Thomas tellefsen a pupil of Chopin, here is a clip from the seccond

And Geirr Tveitt made five, tho the seccond one is lost, and the tird only exist in the composers own reccording from the 40's

Piano concerto no.1

no.5

No.4

Christian Sinding had one

Hope you enjoy them!

Last edited by haakonsb; 01/11/11 06:23 PM.

storing.no
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Get the complete Saint Saens set. I got it for Christmas and it's awesome. Even though he's a fairly known composer and not obscure, you really don't hear much else besides the 2nd (occasionally you'll hear 4, maybe the 5th if you're lucky).

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Some of the Hummel, particularly the B minor and A minor.

Semipro Tech
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
To the list thusfar provided, let me definitely add the Alexander Glazunov Concerto #1 (Op 93). This is a two movement concerto written in 1911 -- it's the one concerto that I played with a community orchestra, and IMO is a knockout. I understand that Glazunov wrote a 2nd concerto (Opus 102 or so) which is supposedly better yet. Certainly include him in your consideration of neglected romantic repertoire.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FreddyChopin

Are there any underplayed "Romantic" (plz no Mozart/Haydn) piano concertos

Something tells me you wouldn't find either on a "romantic" piano concerto list. Just sayin'.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Get the complete Saint Saens set. I got it for Christmas and it's awesome. Even though he's a fairly known composer and not obscure, you really don't hear much else besides the 2nd (occasionally you'll hear 4, maybe the 5th if you're lucky).

Do you mean you got the complete set of scores or recordings and if it's recordings you mean who is the pianist? My guess is Collard.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Chopin's: Variations on a Theme by Mozart 'La Ci Darem la Mano'
Liszt: Concerto Pathetique
Liszt: Fantasy on Hungarian Themes
Hummel: Piano Concertos (all)
Scriabin: Piano Concerto

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And let's not forget the two concertos for two pianos by Mendelssohn.(E Major and Ab major). They are simply gorgeous.

This may not be the best but it will give you a taste of the E major.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYj0a1hR_Zw&playnext=1&list=PL203417BDD4B39944&index=15

Best regards,

Deborah
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Franck, Symphonic Variations

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

Do you mean you got the complete set of scores or recordings and if it's recordings you mean who is the pianist? My guess is Collard.

Recordings. And it's actually Stephen Hough, although I've heard Collard's and they're great.

Has anyone mentioned the Busoni concerto? Not that I'm in love with it or even closely familiar with it, but you might want to look into the piece. It's massive!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sarah_elizabeth
Has anyone mentioned the Busoni concerto? Not that I'm in love with it or even closely familiar with it, but you might want to look into the piece. It's massive!

Calling argerichfan...

And YES, I LOVE that concerto! The beginning is sooooo beautiful! And of course, the other 70 minutes is amazing too. laugh

B
BDB Offline
B
Chausson, Concerto for Piano, Violin, and String Quartet. Also the Dvorak and Rimsky-Korsakov concertos.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Big fan of the Bortkiewicz 1st, Medtner 2nd, and Moszkowski concertos.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

Calling argerichfan...

And YES, I LOVE that concerto! The beginning is sooooo beautiful! And of course, the other 70 minutes is amazing too. laugh

Embarrassingly, I can't even remember how the concerto starts since I've only heard it once. blush I need to buy a recording and get busy!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Calling argerichfan...

Embarrassingly, I can't even remember how the concerto starts since I've only heard it once. blush I need to buy a recording and get busy!

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This is the "standard" recording to buy. It's like $6 for mp3 download from Amazon. I prefer it to most of the others I've heard, including Hamelin, although I like Kun-Woo Paik's.

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 01/12/11 12:53 AM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Calling argerichfan...

You rang? When I see a thread such as this, the Busoni never comes to mind. This magnificent and endlessly fascinating work just seems to stand outside of the realm of an underplayed/ unknown work. It is a whole world unto itself, incomparable to any other work, the landscape of a precious soul, a sunken treasure, a musical equivalent (in a certain secret respect) of C.S. Lewis's writings.

The piece shouldn't be well known. It is for the very few to love and cherish.

Jeez, it's snowing like crazy. Supposed to turn to rain by tomorrow morning, hope so!

My big underplayed Romantic concertos are:

Rimsky-Korsakov (unaccountably neglected)
Scriabin
Moszkowski
Henselt (probably impractically difficult)
Korngold Left Hand
Scharwenka 1
Tchaikovsky 3

I've heard tonnes of other 'neglected' piano concertos, but in general I have found that they make fun listening for one run-through, but don't really 'wear 'well. Basically they just recycle a lot of technically well-trodden territory, and after a while there is a feeling of interchangeability.

Symptomatic of this was listening to the 2nd concerto of Hermann Goetz last Friday evening. (With score.) Yeah, some great tunes in the grand romantic style -quite delicious- but then a rather distressing feeling of predictability started to assert itself. Frankly, by the end of the concerto, Goetz's piano writing had become tiresome on the ear.

I so much appreciate Hyperion's efforts -good on you guys!- but in the realm of Romantic piano concertos, there are very few undiscovered masterpieces. Herz and company have been well served, and anyone who gets off on that stuff... well by all means! But don't compare that to the Liszt Eb.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
This is the "standard" recording to buy.

The ONLY one! 3hearts

Jason
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission