2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tr@iL of TEARS
Happy new year everyone!! Great to hear your NY gigs. I just played my first last night at a formal event in a 5 star hotel. Was quite unique.

They rented out an entire floor of conference rooms, opened them all up and had a "theme" for each one. There were 2 DJ's, a solo sax player, and I played piano near the main foyer. By 10:30pm, the DJ and his massive speakers were going full blast right across me. I could barely hear my own playing and pretty much gave up.

I play a few big-budget "corporate" gigs where we (maybe just me on solo piano, maybe a complete production show) are merely a side-show, adding colour to the occasion but not set up in a way that makes it possible to be given attention. The pay's generally OK though!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mexican music from the kitchen? Being a Mexican and operating a Mexican food restaurant yes I agree that can be a problem. Trying playing some Latin jazz.
DPVJAZZ

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG
Mexican music coming from the kitchen is something I have not yet encountered. Good grief. Maybe the best way around this would be to explain to the kitchen staff that playing music while you're trying to play is like you setting up a grill in the lounge while they're cooking. They sell food, you sell music. I'm guessing management would have to be involved in this discussion.

Is this the place where you just quit?

This was a weekly gig that I played with someone else's trio (piano, bass, sax). It was the kind of thing in which you heard the bass from the kitchen. Management was aware of the problem, and spoke with the kitchen crew, but the problem never went away completely. Because our pay included a dinner at the end of the gig, we didn't want to push it too far (can you say "secret sauce?"). It was annoying.

The other problem with that gig was that we would order our dinner ahead of time, but it was never ready on time. So: drive 40 minutes, set up, play 2 hours, take down, wait 30 minutes for food, drive 40 minutes.

That wasn't the gig that I quit recently.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Yeah, you don't want to upset the kitchen guys. They have weapons back there. Iron skillets, a multitude of knives, and as you mentioned, Secret Sauce. What do we have? An extension chord and a fake book.

I don't have to deal with kitchen problems at my current job. The kitchen is a Michelin 3-star kitchen (I think there are only 80 of them in the entire world) and it's like a church in there. Super quiet and very concentrated.

That said, I spent decades dealing with colorful kitchen personnel, so I hear you.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I am going through gig withdrawal. This happens to me every January. I play a billion jobs all the way through New Year's Eve, and then the hotel where I work closes for three weeks and it's silent night. I always look forward to this break, but a week or so in, I actually start to miss the job. So I'm playing a lot here at home, which is nice, except I miss the distractions. Maybe I'll have my daughter fire up the blender while I'm practicing, or get some of the neighbors to come in and talk loudly through the ballads.

Anyone else experiencing the January lull?

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
RMG is a Steinway Artist
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My January has not been in a lull. Numerous doctor appts, two hospital stays. PT appts, phone calls and visits. But let it just try. I have a pile of music biographies to immerse myself in, a stack of Music Theory workbooks to mow through, and the library has an expensive biograpy of Scriabin that I would like to order at the local branch.

Driving is not allowed for awhile. Plenty of chances to do things at home for awhile

Clef

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To return to the "nuts and bolts" of playing cocktail piano (The original concept behind this thread that got me so excited grin):

I'm currently learning John Barry's "Somewhere in time" (from the Hal Leonard "Love and Wedding piano solos" collection) but it's taking me what seems like an eternity to memorise it (I've been at it for over two weeks already!). Please tell me it's not my age (almost 60 shocked ) and that I can learn to memorize more effectively - any tips? I'll never get my fledgling 'repertoire' up to take-off speed in a year - my goal - at this rate frown

R
R
You know a trick I have been using for quite a few years is to memorize the music with the score in hand away from the piano. I think its a trick anyone can learn, though a bit hard to describe the details in a few words. I think you could be surprised by how much and how quickly you can learn to memorize using this trick, and at least in the classical world, its used extensively.

All this being said, developing your musical memory, is something that takes time and practice. I spent quite a bit of time learning ways to memorize music quickly, and then find ways to store them in long term memory. Strictly speaking knowing a bit of modern/jazz/pop harmony and having some knowledge of arranging helps, but not required. I spent a lot of time learning to memorize things like Bach fugues as quickly as I can.

I also think that taking your time is not necessarily a bad thing. Generally speaking, if you memorize something too quickly, you will forget it quickly. I personally like to take my time, focus on quality, and have time to work on other things like existing repertoire, sight reading, arranging.

That being said I am no cocktail pianist myself. Like most I just like to play for fun.

Originally Posted by cruiser
To return to the "nuts and bolts" of playing cocktail piano (The original concept behind this thread that got me so excited grin):

I'm currently learning John Barry's "Somewhere in time" (from the Hal Leonard "Love and Wedding piano solos" collection) but it's taking me what seems like an eternity to memorise it (I've been at it for over two weeks already!). Please tell me it's not my age (almost 60 shocked ) and that I can learn to memorize more effectively - any tips? I'll never get my fledgling 'repertoire' up to take-off speed in a year - my goal - at this rate frown

Last edited by s_winitsky; 01/11/11 02:26 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am going through gig withdrawal.

Same here, all Oct, Nov, and Dec I was desperately working on new songs for the nursing home and other gigs. Now I've got nothing coming up.

This has meant a radical change in what I practice. I'm still memorizing a few new songs, but now I'm working on basic things like drop-2 voicings, stride (lite), and some classical. This is a good thing.

Last edited by TromboneAl; 01/11/11 02:50 PM.
B
B
Don't feel too bad. At least you're good enough to do gigs!

Hailun 178
T
T
Thanks Robin and Elssa

Robin, I've purchased your book in Amazon these christmas. I'm still reading it but I think it's very funny and interesting.

And thanks Elssa I've just downloaded your videos. They are usefull and very pedagogic.

I am a classical pianist, thinking about the Liszt's Year, but now I`m discovering a new and completely different world.

Happy new Year!

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Good tips from S. Winitsky about memorization. I can't stress enough how important it is to understand the chord structure of the piece you're working on. That's something you can "practice" even when you're not at the piano.

Also, as SW pointed out, memory is like any other part of your body--the more you use it the better it gets.

Cruiser, Somewhere in Time is a lovely piece. I recorded it on my first CD, which is called Somewhere in Time! I still play it on gigs and it's my go-to piece when I'm nervous. I also played it on Marian McPartland's show, because she heard it on the CD and requested it. Hang in there, you'll be happy to have it in your repertoire.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, this advice to look at the chord structure and chord progressions is great. I love the way this song starts right out with a major seventh chord (Cmaj7), as do songs like "Misty".. Gives it such a dreamy sound.

Lead Sheet: http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0075892

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for your advice re memorization everyone! I'm going to pay a lot more attention in future to the harmonic content of the pieces I learn.

Robin, I will certainly hang in there as you advise. The journey, though at times frustrating, is one I wouldn't give up for the world.

Elssa, I agree with you wholeheartedly about the opening CM7 harmony in Somewhere in Time - hauntingly evocative. John Barry certainly knew what he was about when he composed for the film of the same name starring the late, great Christopher Reeve.

Michael
R
R

It must have been quite an experience to play on the Marian McPartland radio show. One of my favorite radio shows. I loved listening to your interview on her show. Really an inspiration for many piano players. I heard some really nice/tasteful playing.

Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG

I also played it on Marian McPartland's show, because she heard it on the CD and requested it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Teclasgirl
Thanks Robin and Elssa

And thanks Elssa I've just downloaded your videos. They are usefull and very pedagogic.

I am a classical pianist, thinking about the Liszt's Year, but now I`m discovering a new and completely different world.

Thanks again, Carmen! You probably noticed many of the techniques I teach are borrowed from the classical world (e.g. the Ballad Style was inspired by a Chopin etude). BTW, there are lots of free PDFs, sheet music, etc of the runs & fills and other stuff to download in my forum.

Happy New Year to you and everyone, too! smile

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
SW: Marian's show was one of the highlights of my career. I've written about it for the next book, and it's one of the stories I plan to excerpt here as the publication date draws nearer.

BTW: Marian related to my book because back in the day, she played a jazz cocktail gig of sorts at New York's Hickory House—I believe she had a seven year run there. Marian has (like everyone else in this business) a million crazy stories. For now, just let me say that she is every bit as witty and gracious as she sounds!

Carmen, good for you. That classical training will come in handy as you dive into this new world.

Cruiser, you might also check out John Barry's Music of Goodbye (from Out of Africa). It's drop-dead gorgeous.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Robin, I certainly will check out John Barry's "Music of Goodbye" - I'm a great fan of his music anyway, which so enriches the films he writes for.

Michael
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
(Happy birthday, cruiser)

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Elssa, I agree with you wholeheartedly about the opening CM7 harmony in Somewhere in Time - hauntingly evocative. John Barry certainly knew what he was about when he composed for the film of the same name starring the late, great Christopher Reeve.

One of my all-time favorite movies, with that beautiful song (and the Rachmaninoff in there as well).

Happy Birthday! smile

Somewhere in Time

Movie: http://www.last.fm/music/Sergei+Rachmaninoff/_/Somewhere+in+time

Last edited by Elssa; 01/12/11 11:22 PM.
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission