2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
I have a feeling that I'm not going be accessing the internal sounds on my trusty PC-88 for a while, now that I'm using Pianoteq. Wondering if there are any nice 88-key controllers out there with great action, with or without having any onboard samples.

I've seen some high-end keyboards that have a faux wood feel and aesthetic, and would love something like that on a budget w/o sounds.

Last edited by Ellington; 01/17/11 09:29 PM.

2005 Perzina 129
Kawai MP5
Kawai ES920
Pianoteq/Kontakt
Originally Posted by Ellington
Wondering if there are any nice 88-key controllers out there with great action, without having any onboard samples.

Nope.

H
H
Roland A-80, Yamaha KX88 and Kurzweil MIDIBoard are the controllers that get mentioned often, but none of them have been manufactured for long time so you need check Ebay or whatever, if you want to find one.

Next best thing are probably controllers with Fatar action; Doepfer, Kurzweil and Fatar's own.

Doepfers are simplistic and portable, they basically just put lightweight chassis for they Fatar keys, it seems, and ask for quite high price considering that.

Kurzweil doesn't manufacture actual controller anymore, there's only the expensive (considering your needs) PC3-line, and a quite cheap line of stage pianos.

Fatar's own are not examples of great quality, there's velocity issues, random MIDI messages, bad electronics and wiring, trigger happy aftertouch and perhaps some other issues. They also don't care for customer service. The cheapest ones are really cheap, SL990xp/pro is ~350 ($450) and the build quality is sturdy. I'm quite dissapointed in the company, they could sell more for more by getting rid of some problems that exist in older models and the latest NUMA series, improving the quality of their electronics in general and by answering customers. I don't get such half-arsed business.

If you are okay with in-board sounds, Kawai MP series are really nice, affordable controllers. You may actually want some in-board sounds, so you are not so computer dependant, allow for more spontaneous playing, I suppose. Allows better portability as well. I bought one exactly for that purpose.

Last edited by Hemppa; 01/10/11 03:04 AM.
E
OP Offline
E
I'm not against on-board sounds, per se. Simply was working from the assumption that I would get more bang for the buck on something that was a dedicated controller.

2005 Perzina 129
Kawai MP5
Kawai ES920
Pianoteq/Kontakt
E
OP Offline
E
Rephrasing my original post slightly...

I love the keys and action of the V-Piano, and I'm wondering what other keyboards have the same or similar action.The fewer bells and whistles, the better, as I'm really looking to use it as a master controller.

2005 Perzina 129
Kawai MP5
Kawai ES920
Pianoteq/Kontakt
P
P

Just get the MP6 - much more intuitive interface to make adjustments and built sets than the A80/90 and the RD's
four eternal zones and four internal,

Delete all the setups maybe get some nail varnish remover and remove the instrument graphics.Reduce the volume of all on board sounds to zero and youre good to go.

E
OP Offline
E
How does the MP6 action compare to the earlier MPs like the 9000, 9500, etc.

2005 Perzina 129
Kawai MP5
Kawai ES920
Pianoteq/Kontakt
E
E
Originally Posted by Ellington
How does the MP6 action compare to the earlier MPs like the 9000, 9500, etc.

I think you should compare them to the MP10.

E
OP Offline
E
I'm looking to spend less money, not more.

2005 Perzina 129
Kawai MP5
Kawai ES920
Pianoteq/Kontakt

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission