2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi, I'm interested in anyone's opinion about sending their digital pianos through guitar effects pedals or guitar amps that feature effects.

I'm looking for a vintage type sound, and there are plenty of guitar amps that offer "vintage" sounds, and also emulate different amp models..

I researched this a little on my own time, and found out that guitar amps would not produce the very high and very low frequencies of the piano as well as the mid frequencies. (So I'm guessing middle C is more pronounced than C6)

So I'm kind of somewhat at a loss here. If someone who gigs, and plays out with a band and uses pedals I'd be very interested in what you'd have to say

-geoff

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What kind of 'vintage' sounds are you looking to recreate?

I use a Nord Electro2 that's typically plugged into a guitar amp (usually a Roland Jazz Chorus, or whatever else is available at the practise studio / live venue). This produces quite a nice growling Hammond organ sound, and also works well for Rhodes/Wurly/Clav. The piano sounds are pretty terrible using a guitar amp, however, partly due to the limited dynamic range of the amp/speaker, but also because of the Electro2's limited piano samples.

I've never tried using guitar pedals in between the keyboard and the amp as the Electro's own wah-wah implementation already works very nicely using an expression pedal connected directly to the board.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
pretty much going for a sound you'd get with a Nord Electro haha, I LOVE how those sound, but alas I don't own one.

I've been sending my keyboard that's 88-keys and weighted thru an amp, and I've noticed that it doesn't sound as pretty as it could. So why I brought up the pedals is because if I I have a somewhat cheaper keyboard with bland organ sounds, maybe I can purchase pedals like Phaser, Chorus, Rotary etc. and hopefully it'd sound great? (or maybe I just need to save up money and get a nord)

Nord's actually remind me of bob marley.. you could play some wicked reggae on those!

The effects pedals would certainly change the character of your instrument, however I'm not entirely sure it would necessarily improve the 'vintage' authenticity of the core sound. Perhaps you could ask a guitarist friend to loan you his/her effects pedals for a day or two and give it a try?

The thing I love about the Electro's organ implementation is the overdrive effect that links in with the expression pedal, so not does it control the key volume but also the 'swell' characteristic of the sound...it's awesome. wink

maybe I just need to save up money and get a nord

Sounds like a good plan! wink

Cheers,
James
x

M
M
I've played my P85 through a Fender acoustic amp and it sounds great. The one thing you'll be missing right off is STEREO (unless you use two amps or a stereo amp). If you're looking for the chorus/phaser/flanger effects, many of the effects pedals output them in stereo from a mono guitar input though. One thing to be aware of is plugging a mono guitar cable into a stereo DP output will only give you one of the DP's stereo channels, which might sound odd. Better to go stereo out and mix the channels to mono.

Most guitar amps/speakers have a a built-in scooped-out midrange, so that might sound odd too. A bass amp or acoustic amp (and obviously a keyboard amp) would have a mostly flat frequency response.

One thing you could try is a processor/modeler feeding an acoustic or bass amp. These processors (like my Genesis 3) are typically used for direct-in recording without using an amp. I've used one with guitar to my acoustic amp and it will rather faithfully reproduce (since it's a flat amp and the processor's doing all the frequency shaping) the sound of different effects and amps.

Musicfix, it's interesting to read your experiences of using a DP with a guitar amp. May I ask what styles of music you are playing, and what voices/sounds you usually use?

If you're using a grand piano sound, do you not find that the guitar amp results in a hollow, nasally sound? Perhaps this is due to using a stereo sound but outputting in mono?

Cheers,
James
x

I rather use bass amp than guitar amp for piano sound. EP sounds can go through guitar amp, but stil I always prefer powered speakers; they are the best for DP.

Roland FP-4
M
M
James,

I'm sort of a beginner now, although I took lessons while younger. Have been playing guitar for over 30 years, but got hooked on the DP sound and feel. I play pop, alternative, and would like to attempt some jazz. I like all the acoustic and electric voices of the P85 and often layer them or add strings.

As for the guitar amp, I have an Fender Acoustasonic Jr., acoustic amp, 40W/ch, meant for amplifying acoustic guitar, so it's essentially a stereo hi-fi amp/speakers or a pair of powered monitors all in one box. Haven't tried an electric guitar amp, but strongly expect that hollow sound, not due to mono but the frequency shaping of electric guitar amps. I'm planning to build a piano stand and incorporate a 50W/ch stereo amp and 4 speakers into the stand, since the acoustic amp is a little bulky and the sound is too physically separate from the piano.

Ah, I overlooked the fact that you are using an acoustic amp...

As you say, the electric guitar amp will no doubt affect the tonal character of the piano sounds on your P85.

Cheers,
James
x

M
M
Interestingly, I do on occasion play electric guitar through the acoustic amp with no external effects (internal chorus and reverb only) and it sounds really nice and clean. Acoustic guitar through an electric amp doesn't seem to work well though.

So I believe that the ultimate amp is an acoustic (or perhaps a bass) amp. Good for DP or acoustic guitar, and with an effects processor/simulator, esp. one that models different amps and speaker cabs, you can have the sound of many different electric guitar amps.

Last edited by Musicfix; 01/09/11 11:13 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission