2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
At one of the colleges I tune for, there is a practice room that has two identical Boston uprights in it. The seasonal pitch fluctuation of the two pianos is pretty much identical (30c flat by January, 30c sharp end of August). I'm going to put Music Sorb in one of them at the onset of the humid season this spring during the last batch of tunings. When I come back the following late August/early September, I'll check and see if the one with Music Sorb is any less sharp. I figure it should be a fairly accurate test since the pianos are identical model and age, and are both in the same room. Should be interesting!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sounds like a great opportunity to collect some data for comparison. Any chance you could put one of those humidity data loggers in one of the pianos? That would make the whole experiment much more valuable.

JG
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Thats a good idea, thanks!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Awesome idea! I'd love to see the data! I would be very surprised if there was much difference in the pianos. I just can't imagine Musicsorb could take enough moisture out of the air to make a dent in the soundboard's EMC.

I'll try to keep an open mind though...

Thanks for being our "Mythbuster"!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks, Ryan! I'm just curious, so I figure I have a fairly decent control situation (though by no means scientific), so why not? If Music Sorb DOES help in low-to-moderate humidity fluctuations, then it's probably worth it to add to our list of things to provide to customers.

Maybe in a home that has AC and a whole house humidifer, Music Sorb would give an added layer to help smooth things out between the seasons.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Loren,

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that MusicSorb might of "some" benefit. After all, it's not unusual for a new piano to be shipped with desiccant bags.

My suspicion is that MusicSorb will tend to slow down the transition from humid to dry and vice versa. Though not as good as a D-C system (because there is a limit as to how much moisture MusicSorb can absorb or give off), it might at least slow down the effect on the soundboard from sudden changes.

Edit: It might be more effective at stabilizing the piano from day to day variations rather than from season to season.

Last edited by daniokeeper; 01/05/11 03:25 PM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My understanding is the desiccant bags are for condensation in shipping overseas. The pianos are sealed up and the bags are designed to absorb moisture only. Very different application.

I'm looking forward to the data. My prediction is that Musicsorb will be shown to be useless. How much water can a Kleenex box worth of pellets hold? When I had a dehumidifier running in my shop, I would empty almost a gallon of water out a day from that thing! Musicsorb could maybe hold a pint?

I attended a presentation on Musicsorb years ago, and was told that it was origianlly designed for museum exhibits and art that are sealed. It makes sense in that application, but a piano is completely different.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Ryan, some crystals are pretty technologically advanced. Look at those newer cat litter pellets, for example, that hold like 100X their weight in water, etc...

Now of course, it's not going to be as effective as room humidity control; that's a given. I"m still curious to see if it makes some difference, though. Who knows, you may be right!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Loren, I did something similar to this test a few years back. I have two small G. Heintzman spinets that are identical in the same room of my home. Being a gun collector, I had purchased 5 lbs of bead silica gel dessicant (reactivatable) for my gun safes and took some of it to put inside one of the spinets. I did this in the summer where our humidity goes fairly high in this area. Normally both of these pianos went sharp of 440 about 15-20 cents during the summer. I used two small containers of dessicant in one, with about 8 oz of dessicant in each and it did nothing to change the pitch rise. When I doubled up the amount I noticed a small decrease in the rise. I gave up on the experiment because I could not spare any more to see if the results would improve.

My conclusions were that the structure of the piano was not tight enough to make full use of the dessicants abilities. Since then I put a DC system in one of the pianos and it very easily handles the humidity swings with far less hassle than having to recharge the dessicant beads every 2 weeks. I also figure that the soundboard has two sides to it and with my set up I was only reducing humidity exposure to one side. I still dont understand how the DC system is so effective with the same one sided exposure.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
I"m getting ready to contact a distributor to get what I need for the experiment. The only thing I haven't decided yet is if I'm going to do the experiment on grands or verticals. At the college I'm going to do the test in, I have two different control rooms I can choose from. One has two verticals, the other two Steinway grands (one a B, the other an L).

DiGiorgi Piano Service
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Please, do both! But if you only can do one set, I vote for the uprights. Since most pianos we service are uprights and because it is more likely to work in an upright since they are more enclosed than a grand.

Tell us more about how you plan to run your experiment. thumb

It would be really great to put a USB data logger in each piano to take humidity measurements:
http://www.microdaq.com/lascar/humidity/usb-humidity-logger.php

Good luck with the experiment. I'm looking forward to the results!

Last edited by rysowers; 02/26/11 03:40 PM.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks Ryan! I agree with you about the verticals vs grands.

Here's the plan. A practice room in the lower level at one of the colleges I service has two identical Boston uprights. These pianos were bought at the same time and are the exact same model. They're about 7 years old. When I go in in late August to tune, I'll find the tenor sections of these things 30-40 cents sharp, and just as flat by the time January hits. What I plan on doing it equipping one with Music Sorb and leaving them through the summer, after which I can note the difference when I go back in for the fall round of tunings.

Not exactly scientific, but I think it helps that the control pianos are the same make, model, and age, and are in the same room.

I'm interested in the results! I'm always looking for ways to minimize the effects of the humidity swings here, and I think Music Sorb looks promising. Certainly better than no control at all, and better than the mason jar full of water in the bottom of the piano. :p Oh wait, most of those only contain dust any more...

DiGiorgi Piano Service
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
go with the verticals

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
http://www.walkerpiano.ca/
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@Loren: Go for it - by all means, I would think anybody here would be most interested in a "hands-on" research like yours.

As for dampp-chasers there is probably a lot of field response already, but I've had a chance to monitor a few almost identical grands side by side, tuned by me, one dampp-chasered, the other one without humidity control. There is a huge difference on both ends, during peak humidity (85%) as well as during extreme dryness (<15%). If anybody's interested I will dwell further on this.

Last edited by pppat; 02/27/11 01:01 AM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Loren,

Were you able to run your tests? If so, what were the results?

Thanks,
-Joe

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
http://musicsorbonline.com/product/music_sorb_brochure.pdf

This brochure from their website explains that the MusicSorb also release moisture, targeting a 40-60 Rh in the piano. Regular dessicants only pull the moisture...and run out of room! It seems like the idea is a good one....but I would dearly like to hear how the results of your test came out, Loren.

Wassup? Got any news for us?

Trembling with,
antici--------pation!
I am,

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I bet you could get silica gel packets from other suppliers for much less expense.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From the brochure:
Music Sorb should be replaced at least once a year to retain the effectiveness of the product. The
manufacturer will stand behind the effectiveness of
Music Sorb for one year from product opening.
[Emphasis added]

Quite interesting! There is a warranty as to its effectiveness.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Obviously the test is as stale as this thread.

Is Loren D still around?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Obviously the test is as stale as this thread.

Is Loren D still around?

He was just on here a few days ago.

Sometimes, stuff just comes up. Maybe there was some reason he was not able to complete the test.

For myself, I resurrected this thread after seeing the my idea of treating the soundboard with M****k's did not work.

I am just looking for alternatives for clients that cannot afford a D-C system. I remembered this thread. The thing about tests like this is that they really can take years to generate useful data.

So, I figured I'd ask how things went, or, if the test is finished yet.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission