2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Happy New Year to all. At this time I have a Roland HP-207 which is a great piano, however the new pianos with the PHA-III action play very well, and my family has been thinking of a new piano. We have always wanted a grand style piano for our living room. My local dealer does not have any of the RG line, and will only order one if we promise to buy it, which I can totally understand(why have a piano in your showroom, if you are not positive you can sell),and we are reluctant to purchase a piano that we have only seen on the Roland web site. So has anyone purchased one of these pianos, and what do you think? Thanks

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been looking lately at the RG-1F. It looks and sounds really nice, as well of course, I've heard it plays great. I've done quite a bit of research on the RG-1F, and IMHO, for what it is, it's too expensive. Roland is basically saying that the speakers and very miniature grand piano style furniture are worth nearly $5,000 more dollars than the RD700NX. The RD700NX has the same action, same SuperNATURAL sound engine, and many other features. For as small as the RG-1F is, it should be priced around $4,000, NOT $7,000. The RG-3F should be priced around where the RG-1F is. With that said, if I could find either instrument used for several thousand off, I'd likely hop on it.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
B
B
I have the RG-3 (which is the grand relative to your 207) and cosmetically its the nicest Roland baby grand, and looks fab in the corner of the room. The finish is superior to the RG-1F and looks more like a real grand, due to the quality brass fittings and polished cabinet. It is a top notch instrument and you will not be disapointed by the build quality, but you are going to have to pay a premium for that. The RG-1 is slimmer and skinnier and doesn't quite have the room presence of the RG-3.

Now, for bang for buck, as the previous poster rightly says, you are basically getting the stage piano or a HP-307 in a grand cabinet, but also with better amplifier, speakers and speaker positioning. Also, you will feel the bass rumble the pedals!

If you don't object to the price, I heartily recommend the RG-3F by a long margin. If you are already happy with the 207 I don't see how you could go wrong with this upgrade.

Last edited by bobbo; 01/05/11 06:54 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I agree: the RG3 is much much better looking than the RG1. RG1 is satin finish and has those odd looking round section legs. RG3 is polished black and has proper legs...and much nicer proportions. But they are SO expensive!

Steve

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoZac
... the RG-1F ... it's too expensive. Roland is basically saying that the speakers and very miniature grand piano style furniture are worth nearly $5,000 more dollars than the RD700NX. The RD700NX has the same action, same SuperNATURAL sound engine, and many other features. For as small as the RG-1F is, it should be priced around $4,000, NOT $7,000. The RG-3F should be priced around where the RG-1F is. With that said, if I could find either instrument used for several thousand off, I'd likely hop on it.
Two things:
1. The RG-1F is not priced at $7000. It's sold at whatever price the buyer and seller agree upon. I've not seen the RG-1F, but I did try an RG-1 a while back. The "price"/MSRP was $7000. The dealer didn't even wait for me to bite before he said I could take it for $5000. And $4000 wouldn't have been to much of a stretch.

2. Once again, I can't speak for the RG-1F. But WRT the RG-1 ... I wouldn't compare it to any keyboard. That piano sounded like a piano. It has a very good sound system, such as you'll not find on lower priced units. And I suspect that the positioning of the speakers makes a big difference, too. I've never had any similar experience with a digital piano. Too bad I couldn't afford it. (To be fair, I've never tried an Avant Grand.)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Two things:
1. The RG-1F is not priced at $7000. It's sold at whatever price the buyer and seller agree upon. I've not seen the RG-1F, but I did try an RG-1 a while back. The "price"/MSRP was $7000. The dealer didn't even wait for me to bite before he said I could take it for $5000. And $4000 wouldn't have been to much of a stretch.

Well it's been selling $7,000 everywhere I've seen, and I wouldn't just assume a dealer would give me a couple thousand off, so from my perspective, the RG-1F $7,000.

I think it's interesting many of you have talked about the authenticity of these instruments. I'm even more interested hearing first hand accounts of how nice these instruments are.

B
B

Well it's been selling $7,000 everywhere I've seen, and I wouldn't just assume a dealer would give me a couple thousand off, so from my perspective, the RG-1F $7,000.

I think it's interesting many of you have talked about the authenticity of these instruments. I'm even more interested hearing first hand accounts of how nice these instruments are.

Deals can be had if you know how to shop around and haggle. RG-3 RRP £7500 which is about $12,000. I got mine for £3995, over 45% off the RRP, brand new boxed with 3y warranty, that is even cheaper than the RG-1. No one should be buying these at the RRP, you are getting ripped off if you do.

As for first hand experience, its a superb instrument and if you like the Roland sound this is as good as it gets.

The only complaint I have is the control panel is difficult and illogical to use, whoever designed it should be shot.

Last edited by bobbo; 01/06/11 01:44 PM.
If it's $7000 from your perspective, then $7000 it is.

There's no such thing as a dealer "giving you" a discount. You have to make the offer. A lower price only happens when you make a lower offer.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the info, as far as the cost go, it is way less costly to have an FP7F, but that would not do in the living room. So I understand that I will be paying, not only for the piano, but also for the cabinet. The cost still is less than the AG. So I will start shopping around and see what I can find, thanks again.

R
R
PianoZac,

I have found both. I found the Roland RG-1f for $4,000 new here:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/2137041892.html

Also, I just purchased the Roland RG-3f myself for $8,000 total. If you negotiate, they will come down. That was the lowest I got, delivered and tax included - from a Roland Dealer.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rachmanfan
PianoZac,

Also, I just purchased the Roland RG-3f myself for $8,000 total. If you negotiate, they will come down. That was the lowest I got, delivered and tax included - from a Roland Dealer.

Wow thank you Rachmanfan. That's pretty dang cheap for what it is. I'll be giving them a ring.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Rachmanfan
PianoZac,

Thanks for the info, What do you think of the RG-3F? Sound, looks, playing. Thanks

R
R
The RG-3f is beautiful and plays very well. I really love the Supernatural feel. The sound is excellent. I have always had Yamaha pianos....acoustic and stage digitals, but I prefer the tone, looks and touch for the money. It actually looks like a piano, (in addition to playing, feeling and sounding...like one),which was important to me.

A
A
I'm still trying to decide on the avant grand or Roland. Did you play both before deciding? What do you like best about the rg-3f?

R
R
I don't think it's a great comparison, because they have too many differences. I DID play the Avant Grand before. I really like it. It is quite interesting and it plays well and sounds great. As far as the latest technology, feel, sound, etc....and looks, the Avant Grand is really something. It is still sampled sound with pedal/hammer feel like that of a real acoustic. As far as looks go, it DOES look a bit unique (different a bit) from a regular grand compared to the RG-3f Roland. Either you like the look or you don't.
Now...the Roland RG-3f on the other hand, also has a great feel, powerful/dynamic sound, the latest technology (SN) and looks like a real mini grand piano. The main difference between the 2 is the action/feel into the keys of the Avant grand when you play it. That said, the price of the Avant Grand is a much greater barrier for me. The best price on the Avant Grand I got was $13,000....which is a good price....but if you can get a ROland RG-3f (which I like at least equally on the sound side and better on the looks side) for $8,000...that's an easy decision for me.

R
R
I saw at the NAMM 2011 show that Roland introduced the Roland V Piano Grand. It's the V-Piano in a full size polished ebony grand cabinet. I hear list price is $24,000. You may get it to come down a bit I'm sure. Looks awesome and I'm sure sounds incredible, but you can get a great looking and sounding Roland mini grand in the RG3f for half the price. Unless you want to modify the strings and sound and create new piano sounds, etc...this may not be worth $24,000. I suppose they are competing with the Avant Grand with this one. 2 completely different sounds/engines and looks. We'll see how it goes

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission