2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
DC_1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and after a long period of reading these forums and learning so much from all of you guys, I was hoping to get some of your opinions about something. You all seem extremely experienced and knowledgable so I wanted to ask your opinion about an upcoming digital piano purchase I want to make...

I want to buy a digital piano. I've played keyboard casually and had some pretty high end Korgs, etc., but after much deliberation, I've decided that my interest lies more in piano than keyboard/synth. I recently came across a Yamaha P-200 at a local store here in Ontario, Canada, on sale for $899 CDN used. It had some scuffs, etc. I was just wondering what your opinions of this digital piano are? Is that a good price? Would you suggest other models (or would you recommend waiting until after NAMM)? I was looking at either a CP-33 or a P-155, but those can only be special ordered and are non-refundable.
So, the P-200 would be a lot simpler since it's already in store. Also, the guy said the P-200 and the P-95 had the same action? Is this true? I figure you guys are a lot more knowledgable than the sales associates around here, and would know more about going rates for DPs since the stores here pretty much charge what they want as there is no big competition.

Thanks for your help!!!

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
What you can get today is really light years ahead of what was going on back in 2001 or whenever the P200 was released.

1998 according to Sonic State

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

D
DC_1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Wow! I had no idea they were that old...totally forgot there was a P-250 after that model. Thanks for the info guys, I definitely think I'll pass. From what I've seen on craigslist, the store is definitely overpricing it. I will wait until NAMM finishes to see if any new models are released. I'm hoping to keep things around the $800 or so plus tax range, but I wouldn't mind saving up some more to get something around $1000 if there was a good deal on a higher range model.

R
RDW Offline
R
Long time since I tried one, but AFAIR the (GH) action was very good. But the single layer samples aren't going to sound as good as the 3-layer CP33 or 4-layer P155. To my ears, going from 1 to 3 layers was quite a jump in quality (3->4 much less so).

I have a P200 that I purchased used in 2005. It came highly recommend from a session player in Nashville. It's been a great purchase. The built-in speakers really add to the playing experience and you can run mainstage or a receptor through it and use it as a midi controller.

Avant Grand N2

Jeff Kinder
Pianist and Composer
https://jeffkinder.com
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by DC_1988
I've played keyboard casually and had some pretty high end Korgs, etc., but after much deliberation, I've decided that my interest lies more in piano than keyboard/synth.
It'd be a good idea to think thru what this statement means to you. Acoustic grands have three pedals: damper (sustain), sostenuto, and soft (una corda). When you think about playing are you thinking about using pedals? If you are, you'd want to be looking at console DP's, which also have the same pedals built into their cabinets.

I owned a P-80, then a P-200. Their graded hammer actions have a well deserved reputation for durability and quality control. I switched to a console because my definition of playing evolved and chasing the pedals around the floor became annoying. What do you want to do with a DP?

Prices seem to be higher in Canada. Dealers are flush right now, because Christmas is a high volume selling season. Prices should be lower during the summer.

Patience and persistence.

D
DC_1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I definitely think I will be utilizing pedals. Honestly, I do not feel I am that technically proficient for it to be a huge factor for me at this point, but I would prefer it. I do not intend for this to be a gigging DP or something that will be moved around at all, so once again, I think the console piano would be best for me, actually. In this sense, it is looking like either the P95 or P155 are going to be my biggest interests at this point.

My biggest need is bare basics, great piano sound, great feel. I do not need sequencers, or tons of other sounds, drums, etc. I think in terms of DPs, you get what you pay for...so I am hoping to find something that is just great piano sounds and a great board. Of course, I'm willing to pay a decent amount for that, but I would rather not pay for things that I won't need.

What do you guys think of the action between the P95 to the P155? I think the P95 retails for around $700 here, while the P155 is around $1300. I have only played the P95 since they have them in stores here, but no one has the P155 so I can't really compare...

Last edited by DC_1988; 01/05/11 06:19 PM.
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
The P95 is fitted with Yamaha's Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) action. That action has lighter weights - the "hammers". That can feel good at first, but if you continue you'll probably want the Graded Hammer (GH) - a.k.a. Graded Hammer Effect (GHE)action, which is fitted on many models, including the 155. That one is a stage piano. You might want to check the specs, because I think that it can't be fitted with three pedals. CME makes a three-pedal unit which might work, but initial reviews said somewhere between pathetic and outright junk.

You might like a Yamaha ARIUS YDP model. The 141's are fitted with the GHS action. The latest model is the 181, the model that preceded it is the 161; GH/GHE action. That's where I'd be looking. The 161 is $1350 at Guitar Center. That's a big chain. YDP's are sold thru chains and online - basically not a Yamaha dealership. Are there any big chains up your way?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission