2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by liszt85
Originally Posted by sophial

I would not sit through a Nazi diatribe against Jews, for example

That's your judgment about something (a judgment that most of us would have about this particular case)..something that you are uncomfortable listening to. So you would walk out.

It doesn't matter if its anti-semitism that we're talking about here or just some "harmless" political talk (which by the way offended a significant part of his audience..). We are not here to judge if they had sufficient reason to be offended or not, the fact that they were offended is sufficient enough for us to say that it was wrong on Zimmerman's part to do this. The people who walked out deserved to be reimbursed. Were they reimbursed? I couldn't find any info on this.

Yes, it does matter. There is no moral equivalence between hate speech such as advocacy of genocide and making a political statement like Zimerman's. Are you arguing that an artist should never say or do anything that might offend someone? That anytime someone is offended by a performance they have the right to a refund ? come on. Art often does offend someone-- Stravinsky caused riots in Paris over the Rites of Spring. Someone taking offense at something per se does not mean it was wrong or should not have been done. If people were so offended or threatened by what Zimerman said that they felt they had to leave, it was their choice but I don't think they have any right to a refund. He played the concert-- and I'll bet that he played that Chopin piece with some feeling.

Last edited by sophial; 12/24/10 01:36 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
the fact that they were offended is sufficient enough for us to say that it was wrong on Zimmerman's part to do this.

No, it's not.

The people who walked out deserved to be reimbursed.

What? Are you out of your freaking mind?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Can somebody please give me a link to the videos? I've only read news reports of it so far.

There are no videos, only the reports.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Can somebody please give me a link to the videos? I've only read news reports of it so far.

I'm betting they mean the 4 or 5 part audio (on Youtube) that a few were talking about earlier.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

Should it be prorated or the full price??

I'm betting they mean the 4 or 5 part audio (on Youtube) that a few were talking about earlier.

I thought that, but figured they'd be smart enough to scroll up. laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Are you arguing that an artist should never say or do anything that might offend someone? That anytime someone is offended by a performance they have the right to a refund ? come on. Art often does offend someone-- Stravinsky caused riots in Paris over the Rites of Spring.

First off, Zimerman is a pianist, not an artist. Secondly, if people rioted over a classcial music concert, that's just plain stupid IMO. But I agree with you on the refund part. Unless what was promised wasn't delivered. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You never give your shoulders a rest, Ed..

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
Are you arguing that an artist should never say or do anything that might offend someone? That anytime someone is offended by a performance they have the right to a refund ? come on. Art often does offend someone-- Stravinsky caused riots in Paris over the Rites of Spring.

First off, Zimerman is a pianist, not an artist. Secondly, if people rioted over a classcial music concert, that's just plain stupid IMO. But I agree with you on the refund part. Unless what was promised wasn't delivered. smile

First off, Zimerman, IS, indeed, an artist of the highest caliber (one of the top two or three alive, in my opinion) and secondly there NEED to be more riots over things like classical music concerts in this world!!! That said, I'm not the least bit surprised by either of your statements and no I don't want to discuss the whole artist thing.

♪ ≠ $

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
You never give your shoulders a rest, Ed..

I'm sorry. I don't understand that. yippie

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The chip.. on your shoulders..

A pianist who is not an artist is not worth listening to.. I will take Ohlsson anyday over the improvising new age artists. But to each her own...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The chip.. on your shoulders..

A pianist who is not an artist is not worth listening to.. I will take Ohlsson anyday over the improvising new age artists. But to each her own...

No chip. Just my opinion. Or are you only tolerant when Zimerman says something?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
First off, Zimerman is a pianist, not an artist.

Making a statement like this here, where you know everyone will disagree with you (and invoking a much larger argument of vague terms) is known as trolling, my friend.

First off, Zimerman, IS, indeed, an artist of the highest caliber.... That said, I'm not the least bit surprised by either of your statements and no I don't want to discuss the whole artist thing.

And this is feeding the troll, although you're promising not to feed him very much. ("Just this sacrificial spring maiden, and that's all the food for you!")

-J

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

No chip. Just my opinion. Or are you only tolerant when Zimerman says something.

I think that you are the victim of much tolerance around here, actually. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

Making a statement like this here, where you know everyone will disagree with you (and invoking a much larger argument of vague terms) is known as trolling, my friend.

Trolling? What about freedom of expresson my friend? Sorry I 'invoked' you. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

No chip. Just my opinion. Or are you only tolerant when Zimerman says something.

I think that you are the victim of much tolerance around here, actually. smile

As are you. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Trolling? What about freedom of expresson my friend? Sorry I 'invoked' you. smile

I take it back. According to Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales's definition of trolling, you are certainly not a troll. But your statement had some trollish qualities. Might I call you a troglodyte?

-Jason

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I take it back. According to Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales's definition of trolling, you are certainly not a troll. But your statement had some trollish qualities. Might I call you a troglodyte?

-Jason

The only reason it had 'trollish qualities' as you put it is because you don't agree with it. Kind of like this guy Zimerman you keep defending. smile

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Are you arguing that an artist should never say or do anything that might offend someone? That anytime someone is offended by a performance they have the right to a refund ? come on. Art often does offend someone--

So are you implying here that his political rant was part of his artistic performances of his recital pieces. I'm surprised that you're comparing this with the uproar Stavinsky's composition caused.

I thought that, but figured they'd be smart enough to scroll up. laugh

I guess I'm not as smart as the moderator. Maybe I didn't read the entire thread and had better things to do? No, I'm not smart enough.. that's the only explanation. Moderators can come to that conclusion any time without being questioned about it. I get it. Does PW have any criteria for selecting its moderators, I wonder?

Should it be prorated or the full price??

Full price. That single rant, if it spoiled the experience for me, is good enough reason for me to be fully reimbursed. Again to be clear, that rant was NOT meant to be part of the artistic interpretations of those works or whatever. So people who want to argue that Stravinsky's Rites of Spring and Zimmerman's anti-US tirade are similar, won't get a reply from me from now on. Finally, these are all arguments with justifications clearly spelled out. If you think people need to be out of their minds to be able to disagree with you, you are living in a fantasy world. You present arguments against these justifications that I just spelled out instead of writing only useless sentences like "are you out of your mind". That would help the discussion a lot and help keep it calm and civil.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is #1 of 5. He doesn't get into politics until the end of #4 and #5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PpDQ6miBg&feature=related

Do or do not. There is no try.
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission