2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I can't just sit idly by and hide behind "professional courtesy".

The crux of the issue. To me, and perhaps to others (based on their comments), this has absolutely nothing to due with rendering "professional courtesies" and everything to do with sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. The line between offering unsolicited advice and lending a helping hand is very fine indeed, and often difficult to distinguish. I tread this line with great care, erring on the side of silence. In the United States, at least, far too many people are self-appointed experts, and feel that they have a right to impose their opinion on you.

You are a wonderful voice teacher, with vast knowledge which could prove very helpful to students. The case in question, however, is of an individual who is both a tuner/tech and piano teacher. You can infer he is not a master of either, as he cannot earn a living from one or the other. It appears he was simply trolling for students, finding something suspect in their playing, then berating the teacher. It's an old sales trick.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
A
OP Offline
A
I'd like to update you all on the situation. My friend met the tuner/tech piano teacher for a trial lesson. He said the lesson went well, with the teacher pointing out various ways of playing piano. For example, playing at the ends of the black keys only, evenness of touch, posture, proper hand position/height by the piano, etc... Then he went to his regular lesson with his first teacher. Again, he enjoyed his lesson - it was just a different emphasis on the playing, leaning more towards expressiveness, musical discussions, etc... He thinks he can learn something different from each teacher.

Well, the issue is that he'd have to do lessons every 2 weeks with each teacher...but isn't sure about how confusing that would be. Also he thinks that the first teacher might be hurt if he ever found out my friend had a second teacher. How can you keep that quiet for long?? What if my friend wants to take part in recitals and competitions...the first teacher might be ignored completely and only the tuner/tech piano teacher would be acknowledged. That is just wrong. I think eventually the teacher would know. In summary, the tuner/tech piano teacher knows the dilemna and says that he's ok doing lessons every 2 weeks...but my friend would be keeping his current teacher in the dark. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by Argerich5405
I'd like to update you all on the situation. My friend met the tuner/tech piano teacher for a trial lesson. He said the lesson went well, with the teacher pointing out various ways of playing piano. For example, playing at the ends of the black keys only, evenness of touch, posture, proper hand position/height by the piano, etc... Then he went to his regular lesson with his first teacher. Again, he enjoyed his lesson - it was just a different emphasis on the playing, leaning more towards expressiveness, musical discussions, etc... He thinks he can learn something different from each teacher.

Well, the issue is that he'd have to do lessons every 2 weeks with each teacher...but isn't sure about how confusing that would be. Also he thinks that the first teacher might be hurt if he ever found out my friend had a second teacher. How can you keep that quiet for long?? What if my friend wants to take part in recitals and competitions...the first teacher might be ignored completely and only the tuner/tech piano teacher would be acknowledged. That is just wrong. I think eventually the teacher would know. In summary, the tuner/tech piano teacher knows the dilemna and says that he's ok doing lessons every 2 weeks...but my friend would be keeping his current teacher in the dark. Any recommendations?

How do you hurt someone's feelings more, by telling them up front or by them finding out later on?

Your friend should have an open conversation with his current teacher. Any reasonable teacher would be open to the idea of trying it.

Go here ---> Piano Teaching Blog
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Argerish5405
Any recommendations?

Same advice as previously. If the student is not satisfied with his current teacher, find a third teacher. Avoid the piano tech/teacher as he doesn't deserve any reward for his tactics.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
What about saying to teacher A, "Can we work on technique?"

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene, I appreciate reading your post. You are an experienced teacher and I imagine that you would make the right judgment call in the right set of circumstances. This is NOT about the particular situation, but a general question for all kinds of circumstances. This is one side of it. The main thing that bothers me about this discussion is that there are many scenarios, many kinds of students, teaching, teachers, and observers. How can there be one single correct response?

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by danshure

How do you hurt someone's feelings more, by telling them up front or by them finding out later on?

I think it's because he really likes his first teacher. I think they might even be "friends". How do you think the conversation would go without basically telling the teacher that he's inadequate and that's why a second teacher is needed? My friend was perfectly happy with this teacher until the second teacher made all those comments about his playing. I think he lost a little confidence in his teacher and that is the real issue. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling my teacher that he's not teaching me what he should...after all, he may have his own tactics for approaching certain techniques.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
in the dark
Bad plan.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
+1 Generally speaking, two teachers are a bad idea anyway. Each teacher, if they are half-way decent, will be following some kind of plan, and you can almost expect conflicts to arise very quickly. There are exceptions where a supplemental teacher is called in, as in master classes, and the primary teacher can evaluate the teaching in context of what the student is generally learning.

M
M
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I can't just sit idly by and hide behind "professional courtesy".

The crux of the issue. To me, and perhaps to others (based on their comments), this has absolutely nothing to due with rendering "professional courtesies" and everything to do with sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. The line between offering unsolicited advice and lending a helping hand is very fine indeed, and often difficult to distinguish. I tread this line with great care, erring on the side of silence. In the United States, at least, far too many people are self-appointed experts, and feel that they have a right to impose their opinion on you.

You are a wonderful voice teacher, with vast knowledge which could prove very helpful to students. The case in question, however, is of an individual who is both a tuner/tech and piano teacher. You can infer he is not a master of either, as he cannot earn a living from one or the other. It appears he was simply trolling for students, finding something suspect in their playing, then berating the teacher. It's an old sales trick.

I agree with the original situation in question. There are always those who are just looking for students any which way they can get them.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Minniemay
What about saying to teacher A, "Can we work on technique?"

This is the best solution for the student. I think he should mention that someone had commented on his technique and so he's interested in learning more while also working on musicality. If teacher A does not feel they are capable of this, they should be upfront about it and recommend someone. In which case, the student would be free to study with teacher B if they wish.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think this idea of working with both teachers while keeping the first one in the dark is terrible. Speaking bluntly, your friend seems in need of some ethical education or reeducation. You simply don't do this to people if you want to earn their respect. Little deceptions tell me a lot about character, and I'm not liking what little I'm seeing of this person you're describing. Sorry for sounding so harsh, but that is my first and honest impression.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Morodiene,

How often do you walk up to students you do not know in order to criticize their playing? Yes, "criticize their playing" might not be the way you would put it. You might say, "offer your two cents," or something even milder and with a more positive spin.

Seriously, is this something you might do frequently? Or once in a blue moon if you observe something akin to a musical suicide in process?

Where do you draw the line between helpful suggestions and being an interfering busybody? Isn't this sometimes in the eye of the beholder? I think most people are reticent about walking up to a stranger to offer their own ideas about how to do things, and for good reason. Sometimes we can receive a very hostile reaction, even if we think we are well-intentioned.

And for every student who is "attached to their teacher" there may be others whose confidence is well and truly undermined. This is a point made by other teachers here.

Whenever you deliberately walk into another student teacher relationship you create a potential cascade of effects, many of which are hard to predict.

Most of the arguments I have heard here for active intervention are based on "trust me" judgments. "I'm a good person, and I only have the good of the other student at heart. Trust me to do the right thing, even if I cannot tell you any clear criteria for and against intervening." Unfortunately, things don't always work out well in these "trust me" cases.

I'm not an absolutist. I can envision circumstances in which intervention would seem the best course of action. But I wrap a lot of ifs, ands, and buts around that judgment. My first instinct tells me that it is rarely the best policy to circumvent the other teacher and approach the family (or student) directly.

I don't do this often, partially because there are a lot of very good piano teachers in this area that I trust do a good job. Singing, however, is another matter. This is where every and any technique is employed with disastrous results and without any knowledge of how the voice functions. People spend lots of money on lessons, many of them hoping to have a career in voice only to have their hopes dashed because they think they aren't talented enough, when in fact it is the teacher who cannot teach, and so they do not progress. Or worse, they develop vocal nodes due to poor instruction, often being taught the opposite of what must be done for healthy sound production.

Many of these teachers, I will grant, do this out of ignorance. They simply teach what their teacher taught, and their teacher had no clue either. However, I know for a fact that some of these teachers have been faced with the reality of their errors and walked away from learning a better way to teach because they were so entrenched in their old ways, regardless of the lack of results in their students. It is then that they become a charlatan. I am passionate about what I do, and when I know for a fact that a student is getting bad instruction (I have actually taken lessons from these teachers in mind), I can't just sit idly by and hide behind "professional courtesy". Those teachers do not deserve being treated professionally because they are taking money from students in exchange for ruining their voices.

Sorry for the rant, but this is where I'm coming from. Again, I don't encounter this much in piano in this community, but if I did, you can be sure I'd point it out should the opportunity present itself and the errors being made by the student warrant some unsolicited advice. So, I guess I have some "ifs" in there too. One has to take each case individually, and making blanket statements either way is not representative of what I do.
I know and have known a large number of singing teachers, and am not one myself. Just as with piano, your iron-clad belief that (a) you are right, (b) the other teacher is wrong, and (c) that you therefore need to do something about it, is exactly the problem to be rooted out. Honestly examine your motivations for stepping in, and you will not find "concern for the student" at the top of the list. If you do find it at the top, re-read the first word of the previous sentence.

Proxy fights between singing teachers through their students are embarrassing and sad to witness, because we all know who really loses in the end. NONE of the good singing teachers I know participate in that kind of nonsense.

Students of an incompetent teacher should find a better teacher, but it does not follow that they need a hero to rescue them.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Last edited by AZNpiano; 12/16/10 05:50 PM. Reason: never mind!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Why did the students get upset when somebody tried to help by telling them that something was wrong. Why don't just listen, and try it out who knows it works. Note: Some people have good heart and want to help. Free does not mean bad advice.

I understand why teachers are not happy when others tell their students something was not done/played correctly. It is human nature. It is the ego of the teacher that got affected.

Open minded students will not feel offended, only those who have big ego will. Most teachers, however, will be offended to find out somebody giving advice to his or her students.

Most of the time, when a piano teacher tells other people students is presumed that this teacher is trying to snatch this student. Not always the case, but often enough that this is the case. That is why most of teachers are not happy. If Horowitz told one's students a lot of advices, most likely one will not get upset, because their ego is not being attacked. Everybody knows that Horowitz is better, and also Horowitz was not in the mission of snatching one's students. However, Rubinstein might not be happy if Horowitz told his students. Again, everything is because EGO.

Last edited by RonaldSteinway; 12/16/10 08:05 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Edit Reason: Never Mind

Actually, you made a good point!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Why did the students get upset when somebody tried to help by telling them that something was wrong. Why don't just listen, and try it out who knows it works. Note: Some people have good heart and want to help. Free does not mean bad advice.

I understand why teachers are not happy when others tell their students something was not done/played correctly. It is human nature. It is the ego of the teacher that got affected.

Open minded students will not feel offended, only those who have big ego will. Most teachers, however, will be offended to find out somebody giving advice to his or her students.
Ego has nothing to do with it. If you carefully read all the posts, you'll discover that teachers, parents, students and others are responding from the perspective of the student who was being offered unsolicited advice. A student has absolutely no way what soever to evaluate unsolicited advice. You surely do not know whether the piano tech/teacher in question was correct or not. And your assumption "that most teachers will be offended to find out somebody gave advice to his or her students" is patently false. That's why many of us send our students to adjudications, evaluations, and master classes - precisely to gain insights from other teachers.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You are only sending to a better pianist/teacher whom you emotionally accepted that you are less than them.

It is a piano teacher insecurity feeling that needs to be overcome.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
It is a piano teacher insecurity feeling that needs to be overcome.

[Linked Image]

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
It is the ego of the teacher that got affected.

Why do you presume it's the ego of the teacher who is being criticized that is the issue? Many of us posit that the issue may be the ego of the teacher doing the criticizing.

Have you at least read what many of us have said?

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission