2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
pique,

I for one, am a big fan of rebuilt vintage Steinways or Mason & Hamlin etc. top tier pianos. As a matter of fact I own one myself. IMHO, if you have a hardcore vintage piano like the Steinways built between, say, 1900-1940 and if you have an expert builder. These are two big IFs. You will have a killer piano! You might be a very happy piano owner. You may not even have to spend a fortune for a piano like that. That's another possible route. It can be exceedingly rewarding!

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: AndrewG ]

C
C
Pique,

Do consider used. Andrew is right. You have to focus on the "Ifs". Pricewise, there is a lot of value and, judging from how flooded it seems the classifieds are these days, there are probably many opportunities to buy inexpensively. I wonder what others here who surf pianomart.com think, but I've noticed that the growth of the red "sold" asterisks in the approximately 500+ S&S grand section has almost stopped, while I could site several examples of price reductions. Definitely looks like a buyers market.

Pianomart is run by a PTG (Piano Technicians Guild) member, for those who don't know it, and there are many piano represented that are from rebuilders who are, as well. Its not a must to find a good rebuild, but the benefits of shared information are often easy to recognize in the work these guys do.

Cheers,
Chris W

DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think the dealer who only sells pianos handmade by Charles Walter probably needs his mute pedal stomped on. A Walter family member does the final inspection and signs the piano but is not the one who builds it. I'd be just as happy with Kevin's signature.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
While I agree a rebuilt Steinway and, my favorite, Mason & Hamlin, is a very real option, in my search, I didn't come across any competent rebuilds under$20k. Just food for thought.
penny

T
T
Regarding the size issue - I was also asking the same question recently. Our combo living/dining area is approx. 15'x28' and we weren't sure that we could fit the 7' pianos we were looking at and have them not overpower the room. Our ceiling does slope from 8' to 16' which probably helps. I read somewhere that the ideal size accousticaly is 1/4 the room size. Anyway, we moved the furniture around and put a 7' in. So far the piano doesn't overpower the room at all.

Tim

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
You should have no problem with a 6 foot grand piano in that space and it will not be necessary to over-voice the piano to fit the environment. Possibly the reason that the old Steinway upright seems overwhelming is that like many older pianos it might be poorly maintained and have hammers that have become like 88 rocks.

My living room and dining room which are open to each other make a combined space of about 19' by 30' have hardwood flooring and sparce furniture. I've had many 7' pianos in that space with no problems.

Niles Duncan
Piano rebuilder, Pasadena, CA

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I just read the comment about the dealer who said he "only sold the grands that Mr. Walter built himself - not the ones built by the other family members".

I have heard sleazy dealers come up with some pretty strange statements in an effort to overpromote themselves, but that one made me drop my baloney sandwich.

I am a Walter dealer, and I know Charles personally as a friend. He is a fine gentleman, and a master designer of pianos. He is also 73 years old. He is not building any pianos by himself.

It has been my experience that when a dealer makes such a ridiculous statement as this, you shouldn't trust any other word that comes from his mouth.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pique,
You have been getting excellent recommendations from everyone. This happens on here when someone announces they're looking for a piano. Estonia has on my short list now for a long time, as have many of the others. But, since you are in Montana, you might look due west in Washington. Contact Darrall Fandrich at 360-652-8980 or toll free 877-737-1422 and go take a look at what he has before deciding. Check out his uprights too, they actually play like a grand piano. Those on this forum know how much I admire what Darrell is doing. You might also be surprised when you hear his prices.

D
D
Pique,

You could also check out Fandrich's informative website: <www.fandrich.com> It describes all their pianos and even lists prices.

Dave G

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission