2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
OP Offline
During the past few months we have been posting comments and asking for advice as we shopped for a new grand piano. Now that we know the ending of this story, we, my husband and I, want to share our quest with you. Bare with me as I give you some background information.

Please note, that as when we wrote this article I and We used the name of Jordang but I am now using the name of Barbara G. This came about as my husband signed up first. When we started this thread he thought it was funny that people thought he was a woman and it was really US writing this together.

It is kind of fun hiding behind screen names. We even used Barbara and Jordan for a while after we finished this article. So read this thread now without confusion;. Jordang and Barbara G are the same.

Master of Music, School Teacher, Church Musician- See "Our Adventure to a New grand" thread... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18212.html
OP Offline
Originally posted by Jordang:
During the past few months we have been posting comments and asking for advice as we shopped for a new grand piano. Now that we know the ending of this story, we, my husband and I, want to share our quest with you. Bare with me as I give you some background information.

When we got married (many years ago)we lived in a tiny, college owned, one room apartment while we worked on our masters degrees. The first thing we bought was a good used car. The second thing we bought was a Yamaha studio upright for me. It was my dream piano, because it was just like the one my college professor had in his home, and it barely fit in our little apartment. When we opened our sofa bed to sleep, the piano, with the bench pushed in, came right up next to the end of the bed. This filled the whole area of that part of our living quarters. But we were in love and the piano added music to our lives, and I loved my husband and my piano. wow 3hearts
[Linked Image]

The store owner really did not want to sell this piano as he was asking as much for it as the brand new Strauss Bosendorfer in Denton. And it did not have the BIG sound that I wanted. But this piano is situated just inside the front door of this fancy store. It is meant to attract piano lovers like me just like those race cars in front of the car dealers attract men into the store. And this piano attracted me. Should I say I was emotionally moved to sit and play this baby?!!

Then there were those antique art case Steinways. With most Steinways I don't like the action and stiff keyweight. But we found some 100+ year old art case ones which reached out for my fancy heart. We scheduled trips to play some. My joy would well up as we walked in the store and saw their shiney new looking beauty and fancy case. But when I would play them, the sound of the bass and high treble would be so lacking. We even found one that played like a dream, not like a Steinway. The store owner told me that he had worked on the action for years to make it play like that. But he had rebuilt it with the antique string scales and sound board designs and it sounded old. frown

My husband noticed my love for these fancy amazing European men, uh pianos. (Ha ha) -- and he knew he was in for spending a lot more money that he had planned for. Oh... but my wonderful husband figured he was up to the challenge. He began to talk of trips to New York or Europe to find me an amazing piano that we could afford. He searched this Piano Forum "Pianos for sale", Piano Mart, internet listings, European web sites, and much more. laugh (Chapter 2 next)

Master of Music, School Teacher, Church Musician- See "Our Adventure to a New grand" thread... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18212.html
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for posting part 1 of your story. The suspense is killing me! What'd you buy? Pictures!

No matter what you bought, congratulations on your new piano!

Greg
I am CERTAIN that I've been in that same exact store about 3 weeks ago, while visting a friend in TX, and looked at that very same Bosendorfer... a stunningly nice instrument!!

I ended up spending most of my time in that shop playing a nice used Yamaha in the back, and wondering why the concert Baldwin they have back there is so (all things considered) cheap...

Looking forward to the rest of this story.

Ah Come on!

Time's a tickin!
B
B
Patience is NOT one of my virtues.

OP Offline
Chapter 2:

Not long when my husband was looking for a wonderful grand piano, he was checking all of the classified newspapers in Texas. Then, what's this? Behold! There was an ad for a 22 year old 6' 4" August Foester grand owned by a church in Dallas that wanted it off of their stage so that they had room for dramas. They were, also, planning to buy an electric keyboard to use in place of their piano. We had read in Fines book that AF were dream pianos and this was selling for only $6000.00! The pastor, who was also the church pianist, said that it played and sounded better than a Bosendorfer. Wow! Well, my husband was thinking he was almost home free for only $6,000. We hurried off to Dallas the next weekend to play the August Foester. True to the pastor's comments, it played and sounded wonderful. Boy did I have my appetite increased for a wonderful German piano.
[Linked Image]

The problem with this piano was that it was made 25 years ago in East Germany and they must have used inferior glue on the veneers. The veneer was developing deep waves in the finish all over the piano and the plastic polyester finish was holding the veneer on but it was starting to look bad. It was also plain black. My researcher husband researched refinishing pianos and talked to several people about this. He learned that it was impractical to fix this piano.

Next we considered a 100 year old Bechstein at Encore Pianos in Dallas. Mr. Kahn owns the store.
The Bechstein was a very interesting piano to look at and it played fairly well, but to us it had that old piano sound which we weren't interested in.

[Linked Image]

It needed to be rebuilt, which would take many months to complete. So this one was out. Later we played a similar piano at Atlantic Music in Florida. It WAS completely refinished and rebuilt... but more about that later. cool

Next my husband begin to research Charles Walters. (See our thread about them here on Piano World.) They make a 6'4" grand in cherry or walnut Chippendale which sells for maybe $30,000+. So he upped the price range for us and we went in search of a Charles Walters to play. It turns out that they are sold by Steinway dealers in DFW and Houston. We were really wanting to love them. We first made a trip to Ft. Worth one weekend and then to Houston a couple of weeks later. At the Steinway dealers I discovered that I liked the action of the Charles Walters better than Steinways. The sound was good, but alas, they did not sound as rich and interesting as the Schimmels, Mason and Hamlins, Bosendorfers or August Foester. Such nice prices and such nice people - the Walters family, and such nice German Renner actions, too. But now I knew the sound, the action, and the case of my dream piano and wanted to find one that had all of these desired qualities. I kept telling my husband that "you can't give the baby a taste of the candy then take it away from her!" --- And I sure liked that $50,000 Nicholas Schimmel with the beautiful sound, with a veneer fallboard and inside lid and with such beautiful trims. Dallas Piano Warehouse wanted to sell us one. But it was mostly black and even with a better price, after sales tax, it would be $50,000. So we hoped that the dealer in Houston would have a better selection and better prices for Schimmel. Next my husband called all the dealers in Houston to see what brands they had for sell and we planed a trip there.

We spent two days playing in Houston and had a great time. The 225 Bosendorfers were very nice, as we already knew, but costs too much money for us to buy. Piano Forte had a great selection of large grands including several Schimmels, a Sauter, August Foester, Charles Walter, Baldwin SF10, Kawai 7', and a very nice black Petrof Passat 7' grand. (Too bad they only come in concert black.)

Here is the lovely Sauter Delta Intarsia which they would very much like to sell since they have had it a long time.
[Linked Image]

This piano had a beautiful action, very clear bell like voice which really sings. Almost the best piano there. However it did not have the rich complex sound of the Schimmels which I liked better. And the case was a light veneer instead of the dark veneer that would go with our living room furniture.

So the question was would they make us a great price on their beautiful Schimmels?? help A few days later we learned that the store owner wanted us to buy from the Dallas Schimmel dealer, which did not have what we wanted. He would not offer us any great prices. confused

Then there was also in Houston a 240 cm Seiler concert piano. WHAT A PIANO! :p My husband reminded me we were not looking for a concert stage grand in black --- but it sure was fun to play.

[Linked Image]

Well, at least we had a fun trip to Houston and we left thinking we really liked some Seilers and Schimmels. We discussed and reminded ourselves that we had not yet found several other German brands I wanted to play, and besides that, we were getting in deeper and deeper money wise-- the prices of the pianos I really liked were going up higher and higher.

B
B
Phuh, I would have taken the Förster. You say you liked it, and that price is really incredible. If you have the money for new pianos, refinishing the piano wouldn't have costed you so much.

Anyway, in the end I'm sure you have made a good decision! smile

1897 Blüthner Model 6
Pearl River UP117
B
B
And that Bösendorfer is a really beautiful piano! Did it have a vienna action or a roller?

1897 Blüthner Model 6
Pearl River UP117
OP Offline
It had been updated to have a roller action. The Bosendorfer store in Las Vegas has done the same with a very similar piano. I'm told that SAP in Poland takes old plain Bosendorfers and transforms them. This one had an old and cheaply shimmed soundboard. It looked like plastic wood filler had been put in a lot of cracks. However it currently played and sounded nice. With the prices that they are asking for this piano, a modern piano makes much more sense. Woods Piano in Denver has a 10 year old 200cm much like this for a very good price.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A word of caution on the Polish restorations

Look at the soundboards from underneath Whoa!
New pinblock, pins leaning already ? "what"
Converted Viennese action " How come it plays kinda strange"

Beautiful furniture! Reveneer Wow!

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
OP Offline
Chapter 3:

I'm leaving a lot out of this story but will add some of that here... Very early in the quest for a new grand piano, my husband discovered, by way of Google, that some universities are using keyboards of reduced sizes which help people with small hands play wider span chords easier and with less hand fatigue. He came home one day very excited because he had heard me lament over the years how my small hands made it harder for me to play some music. He had discovered that David Steinbuhler has perfected his work to update any grand piano or upright piano to his custom designed and built smaller keyboards.
http://www.steinbuhler.com/

These custom keyboards cost seven to ten thousand dollars plus the cost of regulation and voicing. This sounded very interesting and exciting to me. I went to Southern Methodist University and played one of Steinbuhler's reduced keyboards and learned more about them from a piano professor there. North Texas University and Texas Tech are also using these now. So we decided to add this to the cost of buying a new grand - the cost to upgrade the keyboard. laugh Now I will be able to play music on my new Grand without rolling chords. laugh

I mentioned earlier that he decided to give me this Grand Piano while sitting in church. I told my grown children that I was looking forward to him going back to church and seeing what he would decide next!! wink

Well, he went to a national conferance for Christian Financial Professionals. At the conferance a preacher talked about how most people spend their lives working for sucess. Then some people decide that working for significance is more important. He defined "sucess" as accomplishing personal goals and "significance" as being important in people's lives. My husband bought the preacher's book about this and began to really think about it. He decided one of the most significant things that he could do is to bless me with a very fine piano -- so that I would be truly blessed. Isn't that awesome? thumb

So now he became like who Vippo talks about in his Thread -- compulsive with researching and shopping for a great piano. He began to research Bluthners, Bosendorfers, Steingraebers, Bechsteins, Feurichs, and many more. He came home after talking to Orie, with CDs of music played on Bluthners. He announced that he wanted to locate a Bluthner that we could afford. I protested that I havn't played a Bluthner, Bechstein, Grotrian, Feurich, or Steingraber, yet, and their cost was TOO MUCH for us. I think he liked the TOO MUCH comment. So he began to tell me many people like Seilers and Schimmels best, and he had decided that we could afford one of them or a new M&H BB in mahogony. The next day he found an almost new Steinway B in Rosewood that someone had in Austin. It truly was beautiful in the pictures. Almost new and only $40,000.
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/318709830.html
Okay, I could love that piano. It is a beautiful Rosewood. However it looks much like that M&H in Mahogony or Rosewood which I already loved and I like the sound and touch of a M&H or Schimmel better than Steinway. One draw back is that they don't have the fancy music desks and legs that I really wanted. (My husband told me that he thought about this being like a man wanting a sports car and getting a 1990 Lincoln Town Car with 500 HP instead.) ha

[Linked Image]
Playing a lovely Schimmel in Houston.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

What a great story, Jordang, and you haven't even gotten to the grand conclusion! [pun intended wink ]

Of course, I'm rooting for the M&H.

And your husband is hereby nominated for the Spouse of the Decade award. heart

Chapter 4? Come on.

Originally posted by Monica Kern:
What a great story, Jordang, and you haven't even gotten to the grand conclusion!

Of course, I'm rooting for the M&H.
Or maybe an Estonia in Bubinga or Pyramid Mahogany. Maybe we could start guessing... smile

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
OP Offline
This is the last week of school. My little kids and my classroom will be most demanding this week. So please be patient with me, I'm working on the next chapter in my head.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The story is fascinating so far! Tho, I gotta admit, your husband sounds like mine- obsessive about the research! If we ever get to the point of buying a nice grand, can I have yours send a concise, condensed version to mine? laugh Would save me a lot of time... wink

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
This is relly getting good!...Ok Paul Harvey..give us "The Rest Of The Story"

OP Offline
EASTERN EUROPEAN GRANDS
Early in our search for a new grand piano we read about several brands from Eastern Europe. Since many people here on Piano World really like Estonia and Petrof, we were eager to see and play them. The first time that we took a trip to Dallas, there was a classified ad for a Petrof 6'4". A retired doctor had bought a pretty Petrof and had planned to learn how to play it during his retirement. Now ten years later he and his wife were down sizing houses and were willing to sell it for only $12,000. It had a bright sound and played very nicely.
[Linked Image]
We looked at other Petrofs at a local dealer later. They, too, were nice, but the sound was similar to a Yamaha and didn't have the warm, rich sound I was looking for. Some time later I played a new 7' Petrof Passat at Forshey Piano in Houston. It had a big rich bass, but this particular size comes only in concert black.

Next I played Estonia. Peter Collora in Denton has several next to his M&H and Bosendorfers. They often have very pretty cases such as this one I tried.
[Linked Image]
(This is a corrected picture.)
The action was fine and the cases were beautiful, but the Estonias were against stiff competition and my heart was attracted to those Bosendorfers and my ears to the M&H. I tried them again in Houston at the Piano Store. I even got to try a 9' custom concert Estonia. (We thought that the owner was not truthful about his pianos so I caution anyone who talks with him about buying a piano. He told us one piano was new with new factory warranty. The next day his store manager told us the same piano was used and had been in a local condo. You may want to check the PW thread about Scott Covington/the Piano Store.)
[Linked Image]

The Estonia pianos had very long sustained tones which might be nice. However the bass notes seemed to have a growing, lingering sound and sort of reminded me of fireworks bursting close to each other and the colors overlapping. That is how the sound did in my opinion. I don't think I would enjoy this brand.

We had read about other brands that are built in Poland or the Czech Republic, but we found only Bohemia and I played them briefly. My sights had risen to bigger heights by that time so I had no interest in Bohemias.

Originally posted by Jordang:
My sights had risen to bigger heights by that time
Yeah, that's one of the risks of careful, extensive shopping. laugh

That fancy music desk on the Estonia was gorgeous.

Hmmm.... sounds like the M&H is still very much in the running. Looking forward to hearing the next chapter. smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission