2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
I recently purchased a 1969 Wurlitzer model 270 Baby Grand "Butterfly" electronic piano for my son to learn on. (He decided he didn't like it, so we bought a $100 old upright off Craigslist for him.)

The Wurlitzer is in decent condition: it plays and has that vintage electric piano sound...the vibrato doesn't work...the original music stand is missing...the foot pedal is there but isn't hooked up...it has the original finish, but with some scratches, chips, dings and crazing...one leg has an amateur repair up at the mounting block...stuff like that. All things considered, I'd probably rate it a 6.5 out of 10.

Anyway, since I had this thing sitting around not getting used I looked it up online and found out it's somewhat rare, so I decided to stick it on eBay. I'm not asking about price or soliciting a sale. I simply want some advice...

Since this is (apparently) something of a collector's item, should I attempt to fix the leg and vibrato and clean it up with a basic refinishing kit from the local home store - or should I leave it exactly as is for a collector to have it professionally restored?

Thanks for your time...

Last edited by The Image Doctor; 12/08/10 04:33 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Leave it...if it is rare and collectible the new owner will have their own preferences about what to do with it.

Good luck with your auction.

Steve

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Steve. I wiped on a few coats of lemon oil just to see how the finish would take it. Looked really nice at first, but dried kinda splotchy (for lack of a better word.) I have no idea if it will sell - and actually it's fine either way.

I was laid off in August this year and had to sell the 1971 Maverick street/strip hot rod (I had bought for my son and I as a father/son project) to pay bills. If the piano doesn't sell, maybe we'll switch gears (no pun intended) and try our hand at restoring it.

T
OP Offline
T
Looks like the piano may have a few more problems than originally thought. (Life...lol) I'm going to pull the auction and we're going to try to restore it sometime after the new year so I'll probably be back here asking for advice soon.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission