2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1572771 12/08/10 04:34 PM
S
Saffy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Please tell me I'm not the only one who suffers from this?

I think because playing the piano looks so effortless I always assumed I'd pick it up quick, but unfortunately I was never that big of a natural. I envy the people who can just sit and play beautifully and always forget that they, at some point, were just learners too.

Does anyone else find themselves really impatient with their own progress and how do you over come the ''I'm never going to be great!'' feeling?

Saffy #1572786 12/08/10 04:55 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Anybody who has NOT suffered from this must also be lying about all sorts of other things. smile

Play beautifully, in what you're playing. Don't assume that just because there is less ink on the page your music isn't beautiful.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Saffy #1572787 12/08/10 04:57 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saffy
Does anyone else find themselves really impatient with their own progress and how do you over come the ''I'm never going to be great!'' feeling?

Focus on and enjoy the process of being at the pinao. Let go of the need to 'be great.' The irony of this approach is that you'll reach your goal a lot faster.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by david_a
Anybody who has NOT suffered from this must also be lying about all sorts of other things. smile

Play beautifully, in what you're playing. Don't assume that just because there is less ink on the page your music isn't beautiful.

+1

I go mad.... I can hear the music in my head, but can't play it the way I want to...yet. I keep repeating "yet".... it will come, it will come. I think I can, I think I can ...

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Saffy #1572880 12/08/10 07:04 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I had nine yrs. of classical lessons as a child, but I have below-average talent for the piano, and at the end of nine yrs. all I could manage was easy preludes and nocturnes, dismal progress for nine yrs.

I quit playing in high school out of frustration over my lack of progress, and when I restarted as an adult 20 yrs. later, teaching myself this time, I had hopes of making a much better showing the second time around, as I was older, stronger, wiser, etc. However, I soon discovered that nothing had changed: I still could not progress on the piano, no matter how hard I worked and practiced. Yet I was determined to play the biggest, most difficult pieces, the ones that only concert pianists can play, and so I simply started to play them, note by note, super-slow, literally one bar a day initially.

My reasoning behind this approach was that anyone can play one bar of any piece, no matter how difficult, and if you can play one bar, you can play two, three, etc., until you can play the whole thing. The difficulty lies in the fact that there are thousands of bars, in, say, a major concerto movement. And thus, it's going to take a lot of time to cover all those bars. This is the key, time. If you try to work up a major concerto movement fast, like a concert pianist/conservatory student can, you'll end up in the hospital. You've got to take it slow if you lack talent.

For example, I wanted to play the Chopin op. 14 more than anything else, but of course this is one of the most difficult pieces in the repertoire and light yrs. above my level--of the top twenty concert pianists in the world today, only about 4 can play it, and of those four only one plays it well. When I first looked at the score, I was scared off by the waves and waves of high-speed arpeggios, and I didn't look at it again till a yr. later. But I was determined to play it and so I simply started to, literally one bar a day, slow, and writing in all the letter names of the notes and all accidentals. At some point I tried to speed things up and take it a page or more a day, and I literally ended up in the hospital. I even had to quit playing for long periods because I made myself ill trying to push the learning of it, when I have no talent. I suffered frightening, although temporary, physical problems: finger, hand, wrist, and elbow pains; heartbeat irregularities; violent meniere's attacks; hand paralysis; internal hemorraging; incapacitating back pain; etc.--this from trying to work it up fast, like a concert pianist. Eventually I had to slow down and use time and repetition as a substitute for the talent that I lacked. I first started on it in Nov. 1991, and by repetitive effort I now have it up to about 3/4 speed, with errors, unbelievable for a player with no talent on such a difficult piece.

So this is how you play any piece in the repertoire, regardless of your ability. Use time and repetition. For example, suppose you want to play the first movement of the Rachmaninoff Third Piano Concerto, a big-time piece. If you try to sit down and blaze through it, you'll get nowhere, and land in the hospital. You need to take it slow. Get the two-piano score and dig in. Play the 2nd piano part where the first piano is silent. But you've got to take it slow or you'll end up in intensive care. For an amateur you'll typically have to take it one bar a day initially, so do that. Play the first bar, and put it down and do whatever else you've been doing. The next day, play the second bar, etc. At this rate, one bar a day, it will take you about a yr. to get through the movement (but after you've gotten through it, you will have "played" the first mvt. of the Rach. No. 3, something that few people can do).

After you get through it the first time, go right back to the beginning and proceed in the same way--don't even for a second think about concentrating on "the most difficult sections" first, because everything in it will be difficult. The second time around you may find that you've gained enough strength and experience after a yr. so that you can do 2 bars a day instead of one, which cuts the time to cycle through it a second time in half, a 100% improvement in only a yr. on a difficult piece, nothing to scoff at in anyone's book. If you keep at it like this, slow and steady, you'll eventually be able to do a page a day, then two, three, etc. What you're aiming for is to be able to play the whole movement through in one sitting, slow and with errors (it may take ten yrs. of more to get to that point), because when you can do that you've essentially got it "licked" and can just play it over and over like any other piece until it's perfected.

Many people on these forums strongly object to this approach. They feel that you have to develop the "foundation" for big pieces first. Don't listen to these people. They are experienced players who are still playing dead-end salon pieces after yrs. of expensive lessons, and will never play something like the Rach. No. 3 First Movement. Leap right ahead of these losers and go straight to the big stuff, now.

Last edited by Gyro; 12/08/10 07:07 PM.
Saffy #1572934 12/08/10 09:12 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
no. im with you on that. its times like that is when i walk away from it completely. i wish i could learn the thing overnight.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
Gyro #1572951 12/08/10 09:48 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gyro
I had nine yrs. of classical lessons as a child, but I have below-average talent for the piano, and at the end of nine yrs. all I could manage was easy preludes and nocturnes, dismal progress for nine yrs.

I quit playing in high school out of frustration over my lack of progress, and when I restarted as an adult 20 yrs. later, teaching myself this time, I had hopes of making a much better showing the second time around, as I was older, stronger, wiser, etc. However, I soon discovered that nothing had changed: I still could not progress on the piano, no matter how hard I worked and practiced. Yet I was determined to play the biggest, most difficult pieces, the ones that only concert pianists can play, and so I simply started to play them, note by note, super-slow, literally one bar a day initially.

My reasoning behind this approach was that anyone can play one bar of any piece, no matter how difficult, and if you can play one bar, you can play two, three, etc., until you can play the whole thing. The difficulty lies in the fact that there are thousands of bars, in, say, a major concerto movement. And thus, it's going to take a lot of time to cover all those bars. This is the key, time. If you try to work up a major concerto movement fast, like a concert pianist/conservatory student can, you'll end up in the hospital. You've got to take it slow if you lack talent.

For example, I wanted to play the Chopin op. 14 more than anything else, but of course this is one of the most difficult pieces in the repertoire and light yrs. above my level--of the top twenty concert pianists in the world today, only about 4 can play it, and of those four only one plays it well. When I first looked at the score, I was scared off by the waves and waves of high-speed arpeggios, and I didn't look at it again till a yr. later. But I was determined to play it and so I simply started to, literally one bar a day, slow, and writing in all the letter names of the notes and all accidentals. At some point I tried to speed things up and take it a page or more a day, and I literally ended up in the hospital. I even had to quit playing for long periods because I made myself ill trying to push the learning of it, when I have no talent. I suffered frightening, although temporary, physical problems: finger, hand, wrist, and elbow pains; heartbeat irregularities; violent meniere's attacks; hand paralysis; internal hemorraging; incapacitating back pain; etc.--this from trying to work it up fast, like a concert pianist. Eventually I had to slow down and use time and repetition as a substitute for the talent that I lacked. I first started on it in Nov. 1991, and by repetitive effort I now have it up to about 3/4 speed, with errors, unbelievable for a player with no talent on such a difficult piece.

So this is how you play any piece in the repertoire, regardless of your ability. Use time and repetition. For example, suppose you want to play the first movement of the Rachmaninoff Third Piano Concerto, a big-time piece. If you try to sit down and blaze through it, you'll get nowhere, and land in the hospital. You need to take it slow. Get the two-piano score and dig in. Play the 2nd piano part where the first piano is silent. But you've got to take it slow or you'll end up in intensive care. For an amateur you'll typically have to take it one bar a day initially, so do that. Play the first bar, and put it down and do whatever else you've been doing. The next day, play the second bar, etc. At this rate, one bar a day, it will take you about a yr. to get through the movement (but after you've gotten through it, you will have "played" the first mvt. of the Rach. No. 3, something that few people can do).

After you get through it the first time, go right back to the beginning and proceed in the same way--don't even for a second think about concentrating on "the most difficult sections" first, because everything in it will be difficult. The second time around you may find that you've gained enough strength and experience after a yr. so that you can do 2 bars a day instead of one, which cuts the time to cycle through it a second time in half, a 100% improvement in only a yr. on a difficult piece, nothing to scoff at in anyone's book. If you keep at it like this, slow and steady, you'll eventually be able to do a page a day, then two, three, etc. What you're aiming for is to be able to play the whole movement through in one sitting, slow and with errors (it may take ten yrs. of more to get to that point), because when you can do that you've essentially got it "licked" and can just play it over and over like any other piece until it's perfected.

Many people on these forums strongly object to this approach. They feel that you have to develop the "foundation" for big pieces first. Don't listen to these people. They are experienced players who are still playing dead-end salon pieces after yrs. of expensive lessons, and will never play something like the Rach. No. 3 First Movement. Leap right ahead of these losers and go straight to the big stuff, now.

OMG, that sounds like pure torture. Why would anyone want to subject themselves to that? I have enough stress in my life without creating more. LOL. I too lack talent, but I am perfectly happy learning pieces that are on my level and enjoying what I can do at the moment. I'm progressing slowly, but there are always new pieces to learn, and it makes me so happy when I can play them well.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Saffy #1572958 12/08/10 10:01 PM
F
F
I'm with mom3gram on that. I'd rather play something less difficult and play it well than hack through something that was meant for a professional, especially if that piece really requires a symphony orchestra. Still, if that's what makes you happy, by all means go for it.

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
Saffy #1573180 12/09/10 08:38 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Ah...Saffy
I've felt that SO many times over the years. I have a musical ear but slow hands and a brain that doesn't want to let go of the control. LOL. After many years of playing I'm now backtracking (playing easier pieces) and playing them well. The speed is improving as well.

My wisdom...do whatever helps you love the music and love the piano. Even simple pieces can be beautiful if played well

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Saffy #1573189 12/09/10 09:07 AM
A
A
Does anyone else find themselves really impatient with their own progress

Yes I do almost every time I play piano.

how do you over come the ''I'm never going to be great!'' feeling?

I take a chill-pill and realize I don't have to be as good as Chopin was grin

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
Saffy #1573266 12/09/10 11:46 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes. I have felt that way many times.
I think you just have to allow yourself to be a beginner. And allow the process to unfold.

Our impatient thoughts can hinder our progress sometimes. So, when you start to think them then just change that thought to something positive and encouraging.

And know that we are all here whenever you need support and encouragement.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
Saffy #1573349 12/09/10 01:50 PM
Q
Q
Yeah I'm very impatient. I wanna learn something new all the time,its like a curse. The more I start playing, the more pieces gets added to my list, seriously its painfully big to look at.

Often I will learn a song halfway..and just go..nah ill do something else, I really want to learn this instead! I feel like I've barely really learned any pieces cause I get so impatient.

I started learning Avril 14th by Aphex Twin, did first page then I went, nah ill do something else for now and return to this later, maybe ill do it some day. Learned half of Maybe by Yiruma, nada I decided I want to do something else.

I have one song which is about 90% done, and its been that way for like 4months. Another song I have about 1 line left out of 4 pages..YET WHY HAVEN'T I LEARNED IT? Its not even the hardest part of the song.

So now I decided to pick up a few easy songs I know ill learn, because it should barely take any time. But at the same time I don't feel like I might get challenged enough, even if I feel pretty much any piece learns me something new.

Finally now I've decided to get a ZOOM Q3 HD, to FORCE me to relearn old songs and finish up songs, so I can record it and follow my own progress.

Last edited by Quagles; 12/09/10 01:51 PM.
Saffy #1573353 12/09/10 02:00 PM
And patience or impatience is a shifing target. I recall taking many weeks working through pages of easier repetoire, now after a few sessions I have worked well into a Mozart piece (fantasy in D minor) and told my wife last night it wasn't coming fast enough. She was like...jeez man it used to take you a day for 2 measures and you're ticked about not quite 2 full pages since Monday?

I hadn't realized that my impatience had gotten to that point where I was no longer being realistic.

[Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by mom3gram

OMG, that sounds like pure torture. Why would anyone want to subject themselves to that? I have enough stress in my life without creating more. LOL. I too lack talent, but I am perfectly happy learning pieces that are on my level and enjoying what I can do at the moment. I'm progressing slowly, but there are always new pieces to learn, and it makes me so happy when I can play them well.

It seems pure torture to me too. I must confess that I prefer pieces somewhat above my level, they are more challenging and rewarding, but I try to work out through the difficulties, not just repeat the piece over and over. I find practicing exercises that address particular difficulties a very effective way to overcome obstacles.

Saffy #1573376 12/09/10 02:57 PM
S
Saffy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
One major thing I suffer from is when I sit at the piano and my hands touch the keys, if I know someone is there or is listening I become so uptight and tense, it's like my fear of making mistakes makes my fingers fumble. It's so irritating and yet no amount of practise infront of people has ever made it go away.

Saffy #1573379 12/09/10 03:23 PM
D
D
I suffered frightening, although temporary, physical problems: finger, hand, wrist, and elbow pains; heartbeat irregularities; violent meniere's attacks; hand paralysis; internal hemorraging; incapacitating back pain; etc.--

i dont even know what to say to some of these....music is supposed to bring you joy, not internal hemorrage and violent meniere's attacks. no one should suffer from these problems no matter how badly you want to play something.

Last edited by durden365; 12/09/10 03:23 PM.
Saffy #1573408 12/09/10 03:59 PM
One major thing I suffer from is when I sit at the piano and my hands touch the keys, if I know someone is there or is listening I become so uptight and tense, it's like my fear of making mistakes makes my fingers fumble. It's so irritating and yet no amount of practise infront of people has ever made it go away.

I am SO with you on that!

That's why I like having my digital piano - I can use headphones for practice and then I know no one can hear me.

However, I would like to be able to play in front of people - even if only family - so I asked my husband to sit in on a practice and I unplugged the headphones.

It was a bloody disaster! I forgot everything I'd ever learned and I just felt so humiliated. Daft really... but that's me. However (yes, there IS a however!), after a little while, I started to play much better and with my husband's encouragement, I learned to relax a lot more.

Not completely. I think I'll have that fear of playing in front of people forever. But it can be overcome to some extent - and who knows, when I get really proficient, maybe I just won't notice.

Extremities crossed. But I AM determined to conquer this. Hopefully, we'll both get there in the end. Just remember, you're not alone. I believe that all musicians/public speakers etc. suffer from this to one extent or another at some point in their lives - and they get over it.

So can we. Determination is the catalyst. (I think I'm talking to myself now more than you!) But I do empathise.

Good luck - to both of us. (need a fingers crossed smiley here)

Cat

P.S. - I do agree with those who say "play whatever you play beautifully" - I even try that with those "Dozen A Day" technical exercises! Heh...

Last edited by Sly Cat; 12/09/10 04:03 PM.

Currently playing an Axus D2.

Saffy #1573409 12/09/10 04:02 PM
E
E
Saffy - Everybody on the planet suffers from "performance anxiety" to one degree or another. When I first started, even "imagining" someone else was listening would make me start to screw up. With time and practice, this does lessen considerably! Even with people around you, you will be able to surmount criticism after a while. About two months ago, I had just started a piece, when my former boss came for a visit. I tried to play it for her and I absolutely stunk trying to perform it. She remarked "don't give up your day job!". I was, of course, crushed! But it spurred me on, to learn that piece better than I had ever learned one before! I now think I could play it with my "schlong" if I had to! Now that would be an "interesting performance"!!!! grin

Realistically, most of us don't expect to be "world class" pianists (altho' some of us harbor those fantasies!). Time and practice will lessen alot of your fears and anxieties. It's good to have some sort of goal (or goals) to reach, whether it's to learn a super-difficult piece like Gyro or to entertain your grandkids like mom3gram. In my case, I'll settle for merely being "adequate" or "better than expected" rather than to try for "immortal greatness"! Remember to enjoy the "process" as well, practicing a difficult measure one day, and then the next day, after a good night's sleep, being able to plow right through it, is immensely satisfying! Give yourself some time!

Last edited by Emissary52; 12/09/10 04:03 PM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
Saffy #1573417 12/09/10 04:19 PM
S
Saffy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Oh I don't want to be world class, and thank god, I'd live my life depressed knowing I'd never get there ha! But I would like to get to a point where I can just sit, have a look at the music and then play without fumbles and oopsies and having to play the same bar five times before getting it right. That's my aim.

Saffy #1573422 12/09/10 04:26 PM
N
nan Offline
N

Gyro's approach: "I wanted to play the Chopin op. 14 more than anything else, but of course this is one of the most difficult pieces in the repertoire and light yrs. above my level--of the top twenty concert pianists in the world today, only about 4 can play it, and of those four only one plays it well."

Gyro's approach doesn't make sense to me because if the piece is that difficult, then only the rare musician who can master it. Like trying to be an Olympic athlete!

But, I do think that taking on music that is a little challenging or a little advanced can be helpful. Don't over reach because I think you need to have the fundamental skills and keep building on them to really improve.

I have been at it now for 10 years and am still hobbling along here. I can play Intermediate but still not up to speed . . . But I love the journey!

Saffy #1573423 12/09/10 04:28 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Saffy,

Its all part of the expectations game that we as adults are caught up in. There is a lot of material on this web site that directly addresses the impatience you are feeling:

Musical Fossils website

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JimF #1573473 12/09/10 05:55 PM
Q
Q
I have been playing piano and taking lessons for a year and a half, with some musical education as a child under my belt (so I didn't start as an absolute beginner). I swear I have been working on the same three pieces forEVER. Most of the time it feels like I am making no progress at all. I am a very impatient person who gets easily crushed when I encounter someone who, when he sees a piano, says, "Oh, I used to play years ago, but not anymore." then sits down and casually plays a not-simple piece quite comfortably.

But those types of folks aside, I wanted to say that my new motto in everything (writing, art, piano, housework/organizing) is: "The slowest way is the fastest way." I read that in a great book by the cartoonist Lynda Barry, writing about creativity and getting past all of those mental obstacles that prevent us from engaging in whatever art it is we love.

Honestly, it truly helps me to move forward when I remind myself of it. The slowest way is the fastest way. Really. I know I'll get there, and one day out of many I really do discover that I've actually moved an inch!

Saffy #1573522 12/09/10 07:56 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Trying something that is above one's level can be useful because people learn from mistakes and struggle situations, but not too much, I mean, not so much above one's level that it causes pain and anguish... Music is supposed to give you joy.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Saffy #1764458 10/04/11 09:16 AM
O
O
Do you guys have any tips on handling or coping with this impatience? I'm trying to make up for all the years I could have been playing, so I guess you can say I'm pushing myself really hard. The problem is, even though I am making progress and trying to be patient with the new pieces I'm learning, I start losing the old ones (even if they're supposed to be easier). It makes me feel like I'm not moving forward. How do you console yourself to keep going? I mean, aside from just telling yourself to take it easy or take it slow ( those do help of course! it feels like a stop gap measure. Then I'm back to the ole impatience!)

I do dream of someday, being able to play the toughies. exactly that, I do dream of doing that Rach concerto 3 or Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue. I understand those are way beyond my level, so I'm working on pieces that are above me. it does feel like a pain sometimes. I learned Chopin etude op 10/3 very slowly, 3 measures an hour. was almost in tears. After about 2 to 3 months, I can now sort of play it through. then I play my old Mozart Sonata, eep! where's the progress? I can't play the old ones anymore. how will ever hit those long term goals? Sometimes, I think of those who went to conservatory. isn't the piano performance, in most cases, only 5 years? I think what kind of dramatic improvement should we have, if we practiced with all our might?

Last edited by optimistic; 10/04/11 09:19 AM.

All disclaimers apply to this post! smile
Saffy #1764471 10/04/11 09:52 AM
A
A
It's hard for me to give tips for you since we come from two different positions. I set no goals and thus I don't get frustrated. The only thing I can say is enjoy what you do and don't take it too seriously. Frustration can lead to disappointment which can lead to quitting altogether.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
Saffy #1764475 10/04/11 09:56 AM
I'm not impatient with my progress learning to play piano .. there is slight improvment every week ...

but I do stand in front of the microwave shouting "Hurry! Hurry!"

Saffy #1764485 10/04/11 10:23 AM
I
I
You don't have to be the best pianist to get the best enjoyment out of playing piano. I think playing should be 75% fun and 25% dedicated work.

Science is performed by answering many small questions. Mountains are made from many smaller stones, books are comprised of many pages, discovery is a process of many small events.
J
J
Originally Posted by eweiss

Focus on and enjoy the process of being at the pinao. Let go of the need to 'be great.' The irony of this approach is that you'll reach your goal a lot faster.

Things will start to change fast if you adopt this approach. Also, you might want to check out Kenny Werner's book Effortless Mastery which is very much about this approach to playing music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This might sound crazy but maybe we shouldn’t see being impatient as a bad thing. Maybe if we just look at it as a motivator because our minds know that we are capable of great things. It’s just a case of physically catching up to what our minds know we can do. Whenever we feel impatient we can just be thankful for the reminder and just keep pushing through.
I deal with impatience and regret like a lot of people do and it can be hard but we just have to be careful not to let these thoughts hold us back. We’re going to have them so we may as well make them work for us.
Also, if you know you want to accomplish x and x seems to big right now then break it down. What steps do you need to take to get you to x. Then everyday do something that will take you one step closer to your goal. Then you will feel like you are accomplishing something. Instead of thinking about what you can’t do.
If your goal is to play a particular song that is too difficult for you right now then maybe you can just study the music. Get familiar with it-get to know it. Play one measure or just a few notes. Who says you have to play it all now or wait until you get better.
I also think it’s important to remind yourself of how far you’ve come. It’s easy to forget the things we couldn’t do before. That’s what it was like when I used to do Tae Kwon Do. The process and progress was so subtle I didn’t realize how much I had accomplished until I saw some of the beginners and I was reminded where I started from. Also, when people started asking me for help with some of their kicks I was a little surprised but when I started helping them I realized I actually did know what I was doing-lol.
I don’t know if we will ever escape these types of thoughts and I wonder if we even should. If we didn’t have them we may never know our own greatness. The key I guess is to not to see them as self -defeating thoughts but rather to use them as a tool to help us further along the path. Even the masters still work to improve their skills. We are all meant to reach our dreams or we wouldn’t have dreams at all.
Ok I’ve ramble on long enough. It’s time for me to take my own advice.

P.S I always struggle with “what is my purpose” when it comes to music. And people say just do it because you love it. Which is why I do it. But I get this nagging feeling I have some reason or purpose for it but I just don’t know what it is.

― Bruce Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by optimistic
I start losing the old ones (even if they're supposed to be easier). It makes me feel like I'm not moving forward.

I do the same thing. If you want to "keep" the old peices you have to continue to play them. You just have to decide what peices are worth keeping up with. But I think you will notice as you keep making progress that when you go back to old peices that you haven't played in a while you will pick them up very quickly. And you will probably play them with better skill and technique than you did before. Just recently I pulled out an old song I once struggled with and was surprised at how much easier it was. Also, at my last lesson my teacher wanted to play a duet. I was like YIKES!!! because my reading isn't great and I was worried about my timing. But I did fine and it was a bit of a boost for me becasue it was the first time I had dont that and I realized the improvements I was making. And that I could do something I didnt think I could do before. I thought hey if I can do this maybe I could play with a band some day. So, just keep looking for moments like that. thumb

― Bruce Lee
Saffy #1764591 10/04/11 01:57 PM
J
J
There is a lot of talk about difficult vs. easy pieces. May I suggest playing something you... like??

Saffy #1764593 10/04/11 02:07 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
patience is a virtue. you aint kiddin buddy

Saffy #1764598 10/04/11 02:18 PM
J
J
When it comes to performance anxiety, one approach could be to imagine you are giving a gift instead of you being judged. This turns the energy around from everything being directed at you, to you directing energies out = less pressure. Even if you think you are performing badly, try to still view and feel it as a gift. The audience will appreciate this (and feel very awkward if you are giving them the power to judge your performance or if they sense you need their approval). Sometimes this is really easy I find, and sometimes quite difficult!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jacob777
When it comes to performance anxiety, one approach could be to imagine you are giving a gift instead of you being judged. This turns the energy around from everything being directed at you, to you directing energies out = less pressure. Even if you think you are performing badly, try to still view and feel it as a gift. The audience will appreciate this (and feel very awkward if you are giving them the power to judge your performance or if they sense you need their approval). Sometimes this is really easy I find, and sometimes quite difficult!

Well said. It is helpful to focus not on yourself but on:

1) What the composer is trying to say
2) Creating a beautiful sound, i.e. really listen

Sometimes we get caught up in the execution of the piece, looking at it as a series of little and big "challenges" that come at you like a space invader arcade game, and fail to listen.

Jumping into the really tough stuff right away as suggested by Gyro is silly and counterproductive. Do you want your airline pilot going from driving a car right to the cockpit of a 747? How about your surgeon just digging right in? Mastery is built on a solid foundation that requires progression and time.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
Saffy #1765119 10/05/11 11:23 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Please tell me I'm not the only one who suffers from this?

I think because playing the piano looks so effortless I always assumed I'd pick it up quick, but unfortunately I was never that big of a natural. I envy the people who can just sit and play beautifully and always forget that they, at some point, were just learners too.

Yes, and I overcome those feelings by convincing myself that discipline and patience will get me to where I want to be.

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

This is one of the best pieces of advice I have ever seen about performing.

Thank you!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Saffy #1765273 10/05/11 03:49 PM
J
J
I'm glad you find it useful, rocket88. William Westney goes into this at great detail about this in his book The Perfect Wrong Note.

"Let go of the need to sound good" is another good advice from Kenny Werner that I find makes enjoyment come easy (as well as sounding better, as a bonus!).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm glad you find it useful, rocket88. William Westney goes into this at great detail about this in his book The Perfect Wrong Note.

"Let go of the need to sound good" is another good advice from Kenny Werner that I find makes enjoyment come easy (as well as sounding better, as a bonus!).

yea that is a great logic. almost i think of how trying a little too hard can hurt you thumbgotta be cool calm and collective. never said i was but i try grin

Saffy #1765760 10/06/11 10:58 AM
I've been a musician all my life: violin for years, and double bass (that caused me trigger finger trouble which directed me to the piano). Once in a while, I actually played something on the violin that sounded like music! This is beginning to happen at the piano. I could care less what anyone else thinks... I'm in this for my own moments of pure pleasure when the music itself speaks to me.

Painter55 (Bobby in Houston)
Yamaha U3

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When it comes to performance anxiety, one approach could be to imagine you are giving a gift instead of you being judged.

That's a really nice way to think about it. smile

― Bruce Lee
Saffy #1765983 10/06/11 05:40 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Does anyone else suffer from the feeling that when you 'perform' you are showing (or trying to) off? Which is I suppose contrary to the whole performance anxiety thing..... I'm doomed..... Suffering from the fear of being judged AND the fear of appearing to show off....... aaaaaahhhhh!!

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SAnnM AB-2001
Does anyone else suffer from the feeling that when you 'perform' you are showing (or trying to) off? Which is I suppose contrary to the whole performance anxiety thing..... I'm doomed..... Suffering from the fear of being judged AND the fear of appearing to show off....... aaaaaahhhhh!!

I actually share this worry as well. It's not necessarily paralyzing like regular performance anxiety, but it does lead to avoidance in many instances. For some reason I've always tried to avoid situations where it might seem like I'm trying to show off, regardless of whether it's music or something else!

Saffy #1766265 10/07/11 03:32 AM
Hi,

Yes, I have had the problem and still have.
I often start to practise and I practise with high quality and concentration for about 45 minutes. Then I grow impatient and just play the piano instead of practising.

This is a moment where I have to stop and rest. It helps.
Later I can do the same length session again.

But, the goal should not be to play incredibly well as quickly as possible. If you start to enjoy the process of practising and developing and changing things, the impatience will retreat.

GL
Jaak

piano.social - Learn classical piano with Jaak and socialize with other piano students
MA, teacher and doctoral student of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission