2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by John Frank
live cellist and flutist (no, I refuse to say that girly-man word "flautist" laugh )

Having grown up in England (and been a flautist) and moved to the US (where I am very seldom a flutist) I can say with all confidence this is purely a British-English versus American-English thing. "You say flutist, I say flautist" wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by John Frank
live cellist and flutist (no, I refuse to say that girly-man word "flautist" laugh )

Having grown up in England (and been a flautist) and moved to the US (where I am very seldom a flutist) I can say with all confidence this is purely a British-English versus American-English thing. "You say flutist, I say flautist" wink

Well, I think it's more than just a British vs. American English split - if I'm not mistaken the term flautist is used elsewhere also.

I like to playfully (but only half-kiddingly) tease about the use of the word (one does have to admit that it does come off sounding just a tad "stuffy" and a bit "snobbish", doesn't one?) but I do understand it's long-standing and widespread traditional use and it's importance to those who have grown accustomed to using it.

In everyday conversation (and writing) I'll typically use the term flutist , and then parenthetically add something like the phrase "or as some would have it, flautist" to avoid the inevitable attempt at correction and just to show that I'm not "unschooled" and that I do know the "correct" term, but prefer not to use it smile

One must do what one must do to avoid derision - it's all about CYA laugh

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I have been very remiss in my last group comments. Holidays and a home remodel has kept me pretty busy as of late. Listening to the recital is always a joy for me, so on with the show.

11. Serge88 - Piano Concerto no.20 2nd mvt k.466 (intro)
Not that familiar with Mozart; so I could not identify the notes from a prior memory, but I must add, you added them quite well. smile
This Mozart piece I like.

12. Tubbie0075 - Ballade pour Adeline
It is a lovely ballade and you do a great job of keeping it light and lively- no easy task with those quickly played stacotto chords (octaves?) Well done.

13. Riddler (Ed) - The Duke
Nice Ed! I like the progression. A keeper for sure. I hope all is well.

14. Ode2Joy - Autumn Song

A beautiful melody played with great expression. A little bit meloncholy, but perfect for this morning of grey skies and the promise of snow to come. The ending left me hanging for a bit more- perhaps, another time.

Many thanks to Monica, mahlzeit, LaValse, Copper, and of course the master instigator- MSH.

Thank you to all that listened and to those who commented on my submission. I am happy to report it is coming along quite nicely and down the road I may look once again to Chopin for inspriration.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Many thanks to all the wonderful people here in the ABF who make these recitals possible, and also to those who take the time to listen and comment on the submissions. Special thanks to joangolfing, Peyton, Strings & Wood, CMohr, casinitaly, elf, Sam Smith, CarlosCC, TX-Dennis, BenPiano, jazzwee, KeemaNan, GlassLove, b528nf7, Inlanding, cgyan, wouter79, and John Frank who made specific comments on my piece. I was quite overwhelmed with the responses this time around, as many people seemed to enjoy this one.

A couple specific responses to comments:
elf & wouter79 - you both thought I used too much pedal/sustain. I did use the pedal throughout the piece. Did you mean that you think I should try playing some sections without the pedal, or that I should clear the pedal more often?
Sam Smith, jazzwee & wouter79 - you commented on working on the dynamics. Yes! In fact, in my last lesson just before I recorded this, that's the thing my teacher said I needed more work on. Always a work in progress. smile

For the past couple recitals, I have been printing out the comments I receive, making a copy for myself and one for my teacher. I think he's starting to share a bit of my excitement about these recitals, as he helps me prepare the pieces, and later reads the feedback. He said that he thinks these are a great idea, and he wishes he could have been a part of such a supportive environment when he was learning to play. He got that right! The support that everyone gives each other here is not always easily found and is really invaluable.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
elf & wouter79 - you both thought I used too much pedal/sustain. I did use the pedal throughout the piece. Did you mean that you think I should try playing some sections without the pedal, or that I should clear the pedal more often?
Well, assuming I'm "elf" the answer is yes, clear the pedal more often. You are holding it too long and this results in blurring the lines.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The recital opened just as I was getting ready to travel to Oklahoma for a visit to my daughter and family. I've just listened to the wonderful pieces that have been recorded by all of our talented musicians. Bravo! I've enjoyed every one of them.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by epf
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Well, assuming I'm "elf" the answer is yes, clear the pedal more often. You are holding it too long and this results in blurring the lines.

Ed
Ooops! Sorry for messing up your screen name, Ed. (But "elf" is kinda cute, isn't it?) Thanks for the feedback. I'll try that.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
Hi everyone,

I haven't had the time to listen to our 20th ecital because I was desperately trying to get my Beethoven submission ready for the 240th SonataFest. I feel a sense of accomplishment and a huge relief that I was able to meet that goal. Having that huge weight off my shoulders, I can now listen to our ecital and offer praise and comments to our contributors.

Thank you to everyone who has commented on my submission this time around.

More to come soon.

Cheers!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission