Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!


SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
110 registered members (Anita Potter, agraffe, alfredo capurso, Aloyah, Albunea, 17curleyj, 30 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1569991 - 12/04/10 01:28 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Pogorelich.]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Music is art, not science, and the mechanics behind it aren't THAT complex........
I'm afraid the mechanics are that complex. You're lucky, the brain deals with it on a pre-conscious level (until you damage yourself).


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1569993 - 12/04/10 01:30 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Agreed. Personally I'd say that understanding how to move comfortably from the knuckles is all you need to worry about for this aspect. I'm not currently seeing any benefits or practical differences that derive from worrying about the physiology.

#1569995 - 12/04/10 01:32 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,701
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Pogorelich.  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,701
not somewhere over the rainbow
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Music is art, not science, and the mechanics behind it aren't THAT complex........
I'm afraid the mechanics are that complex. You're lucky, the brain deals with it on a pre-conscious level (until you damage yourself).


Well so far I've managed not to damage myself. And considering my repertoire, I think I'm safe..

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 12/04/10 01:32 PM.


"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
#1569999 - 12/04/10 01:33 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Music is art, not science, and the mechanics behind it aren't THAT complex........
I'm afraid the mechanics are that complex. You're lucky, the brain deals with it on a pre-conscious level (until you damage yourself).


The mechanics are rather simple. The simplest basis for technique involves reducing the number of variables, by setting up a two-sided support system where the finger moves the key and the arm provides counterforce through passive actions- followed by a state of ongoing balance at both ends. It's only complex if you make it complex by adding too many variables- eg. employing muscular efforts around the wrist and elbow and having to cope with the countless changes in state that must follow.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1570008 - 12/04/10 01:50 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Nyiregyhazi]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Based on the descriptions of the lumbricals' action it strikes me as common sense that when they are more developed, the knuckles are substantially less likely to collapse.
Met with the considerable resistance of piano keys, whatever strength they do have won't last long.


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

#1570012 - 12/04/10 01:53 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Nyiregyhazi]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
The mechanics are rather simple.
This is where you go wrong. If you actually read about the hand rather than wait for me to post, you'd know differently.

End of the lesson, I think.


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

#1570024 - 12/04/10 02:14 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,325
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Frozenicicles  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,325
Canada
For practical purposes, I agree with this:
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Wow. This is kind of asinine. I really don't think piano playing is as freakishly complicated and scientific as you're all making it out to be. Jeez. If you teach 5 year old beginners and you're trying to develop good habits from them from a young age, are you really going to try with all these different things? Music is art, not science, and the mechanics behind it aren't THAT complex........

Maybe it's just me? I never think of such extreme implications. Anyway, carry on.

But if you're determined to be theoretical, I agree with this:
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
The mechanics are rather simple.
This is where you go wrong. If you actually read about the hand rather than wait for me to post, you'd know differently.

End of the lesson, I think.

#1570041 - 12/04/10 02:31 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Yeh, I can go with that. For players, think of it as simple, no fixing less'n it's broke! It's different for teachers.


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

#1570049 - 12/04/10 02:36 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
The mechanics are rather simple.
This is where you go wrong. If you actually read about the hand rather than wait for me to post, you'd know differently.

End of the lesson, I think.


I read your post. What I FEEL when moving my fingers in what I perceive as being simple actions IS simple. So I do not need to worry about those complexities. My brain has covered them, thankyou. By doing a lot of very slow movements away from the keyboard I have learned the lowest effort for different types. That is all you need. When you interact with the complexity of EXTERNAL forces that you need to maintain as much simplicity as possible. The fewer the variables the easier it is.

A "Hitler salute" uses countless muscles but is felt as a simple action. Why would we need to make that complex when it simply doesn't need to be?

This is not where I am "going wrong" but precisely where I am going right. By turning a complex jumble of previously intricate interdependent issues into a simply premise of pulling with a finger and supporting/releasing at the shoulder (keeping both elbow and wrist 100% supported without internal efforts), my technique has been transforming itself beyond recognition. This part IS simple. The finger acts, aided by the passive existence of the arms weight and then maintains the balance it arrived in. It's inherently simple- compared to an intricate web of rapidly fluctuating fixations and intentions of instant releases.

#1570053 - 12/04/10 02:39 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Based on the descriptions of the lumbricals' action it strikes me as common sense that when they are more developed, the knuckles are substantially less likely to collapse.
Met with the considerable resistance of piano keys, whatever strength they do have won't last long.


I do not fight the resistance of the piano keys head-on, as you do. I use the absorption of loosened joints, not ones that stiffen and then try to release before impact.

Get yourself a powerball if you're worried about strength. Compared to that, moving a piano key feels like moving your finger through a piece of sponge. You just have to be conscious of how to redirect spare energy.

As for fixing unless something is broke, are you telling me that your videos illustrate the epitome of piano technique? Perhaps you're settling for what you can do within your limits, but as far as I'm concerned, until something like the Liszt Sonata is extremely simple to play (rather than merely manageable) my own technique is certainly "broke". I intend to go on fixing it for as long as it takes.

#1570056 - 12/04/10 02:42 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Pogorelich.]  
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
New York
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Wow. This is kind of asinine. I really don't think piano playing is as freakishly complicated and scientific as you're all making it out to be. Jeez. If you teach 5 year old beginners and you're trying to develop good habits from them from a young age, are you really going to try with all these different things? Music is art, not science, and the mechanics behind it aren't THAT complex........

Maybe it's just me? I never think of such extreme implications. Anyway, carry on.

Speaking as someone trained in human anatomy and with an advanced degree ha .....and who was interested enough in the subject to take electives in hand surgery, I agree with you in terms of any practical standpoints for 99% of us, 99% of the time. Regarding the other 1%, I'm just not sure.

Let them do this stuff. It looks interesting -- to them at least. smile

And you never know what might come of it -- as long as they keep their heads on straight and don't try to make more of any finding or factoid than is merited, which unfortunately people in that field usually tend to do.

Frozenicicles: I see that you said basically the same thing, but more efficiently. smile

Nyir: I think that you and KBK have been conducting this quite well, considering your differences. Let me add that you don't seem to realize that when you keep referring so prominently to what you experience, you are reinforcing the point that many of us speak of: that the teachings coming out of such work don't necessarily apply to everyone. You're getting it very much from your own personal experience, which is how it usually is for this kind of work. The findings and teachings could be valid for the author himself, but not necessarily for pianists in general. To the extent that much of the mechanics (you would probably say "all") is pure fact, there is still the issue of the extent to which those aspects are important, in the context of all the other mechanics that are involved -- and there are always more than any given analysis deals with.


"Everything I say is my opinion, including the facts." :-)
#1570060 - 12/04/10 02:49 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Nyiregyhazi]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi

A "Hitler salute" uses countless muscles but is felt as a simple action.
Godwin's law already?


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

#1570062 - 12/04/10 02:52 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
That's just the example I always give for this. It uses an intricate combination of a number of muscles in very precise coordination but is felt as one singular action. No implications are to be drawn from that reference. It just illustrates the fact that some complexities have no practical consequences. When looking at what is perceived, the simpler the better (as long as it does not overlook important factors in order to be simple). That is very much the basis of my own model- contrary to the assumptions that a number of members are eager to leap to.

#1570064 - 12/04/10 02:58 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Mark_C]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by Mark_C
To the extent that much of the mechanics (you would probably say "all") is pure fact, there is still the issue of the extent to which those aspects are important, in the context of all the other mechanics that are involved -- and there are always more than any given analysis deals with.


True. The basis for my model however, is that consistent two-sided balance of a series of freely supported joints (except at the extremities) always contains considerably less intertwined variables than one sided balance with constant fluctuations of state. It also contains substantially less internal efforts for stable balance to occur. I believe that is fully factually verifiable.

#1570066 - 12/04/10 03:01 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Nyiregyhazi]  
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
New York
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
True. The basis for my model however, is that two-sided balance of a series of joints always contains considerably less intertwined variables than one sided balance with constant fluctuations of state. It also contains substantially less internal efforts for stable balance. I believe that is fully factually verifiable.

Thanks for the nice reply -- but let me say that this brief and nice reply shows one of the problems with much of your work: even though you're speaking to someone with more of a relevant background than probably 999 out of 1000 readers, I have little idea what you're talking about, and to the extent that I can make something of it, it seems overly dogmatic and simplistic.

(Yes -- both too complex and too simplistic at the same time.)

I think people with any less background just won't get it at all, and those with more background will find much that they disagree with.


"Everything I say is my opinion, including the facts." :-)
#1570073 - 12/04/10 03:11 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Nyiregyhazi]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
True. The basis for my model however, is that consistent two-sided balance of a series of freely supported joints (except at the extremities) always contains considerably less intertwined variables than one sided balance with constant fluctuations of state. It also contains substantially less internal efforts for stable balance to occur. I believe that is fully factually verifiable.
Bit short on the facts though? Not that I get any of it either.


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

#1570074 - 12/04/10 03:12 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
That's why I'm writing it up thoroughly on the blog and using diagrams to illustrate. Check out the end of my most recent post, where I establish the concept. You seem interested in discussing the merits of my intentions aplenty, but I still haven't heard any thoughts from you regarding the actual work in progress. Something that is horizontally outstretched from a fixed point cannot keep free hinges stable unless supported at the other end. In one way support Each hinge must be stabilised, or they will collapse. Simply balance at the other end, and the hinges are supported for "free".

That such a simple and obvious premise is not used as standard for explaining HOW to release the wrist and elbow is beyond me. And no, kbk. That is not short on facts.

#1570075 - 12/04/10 03:13 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I'd be nice if you cited some references in your work.


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

#1570076 - 12/04/10 03:14 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
I'd be nice if you cited some references in your work.


Try any book about mechanics. It is an absolute. Not opinion. There is no disagreement upon the fact that a system of joints that is supported by two ends does not require fixation of any of its joints. That's why a chain that is anchored at two ends is stable, as long as it is kept taut. Neither does anyone have the opinion that a series of free joints can be extended horizontally without collapsing- unless added forces hold it together (ie. tensions at the elbow and wrist). That is why a chain falls to the ground when supported from a single point.

Do I really have to sound like a conspiracy loon for stating something so mind-boggling obvious?

#1570080 - 12/04/10 03:19 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,325
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Frozenicicles  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,325
Canada
kbk and N, it might be nice if you two actually thoroughly examined each other's work out of professional interest rather than trying to disprove each other. As Mark has said, you may find that your techniques are not mutually exclusive - you are also approaching them from vastly different theoretical grounds. Anyway, I don't think there's anyone else on this forum who is as motivated to wade through all this theory as you two...I considered reading all this in-depth, including reviewing my physics and anatomy, but I have other things I'd rather do (and should do).

#1570081 - 12/04/10 03:23 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Nyiregyhazi]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Try any book about mechanics.
That's got to be the poorest citation I've ever encountered!


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

#1570082 - 12/04/10 03:23 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Frozenicicles]  
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
New York
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
.....As Mark has said, you may find that your techniques are not mutually exclusive....

Yes -- and, to give proper credit, I was largely following up on what Kreisler said on another thread.


"Everything I say is my opinion, including the facts." :-)
#1570084 - 12/04/10 03:26 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
I'm not portraying anything as mutually exclusive. I'm explaining the base level of the simplest and lowest tension means of movement. I use countless variations- even fixation of the arm once in a while- if I deliberately want a really rough, percussive tone for an occasional effect (quite handy in the Horowitz Carmen Fantasy). However, I don't believe that any pianist in history has ever acquired even a remotely professional technique without some basis in being able to use this style of low-effort balance. There's no other way I can conceive of to play rapid legato without strain and uneveness. Such things require consistency, not perpetual instability.

#1570087 - 12/04/10 03:30 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Try any book about mechanics.
That's got to be the poorest citation I've ever encountered!


You're asking me to find a book that proves that 1 + 1 = 2. I believe there is one using sets, but I'm not going to waste my time. I literally mean ANY book on foundation mechanics. Unless written by complete idiots, the laws have not differed for hundreds of years. Citations are for matters of opinion, not for facts.

If you want proof of what I say, fix a chain to the wall and see if it will stay out horizontally or not- without each successive link having to be fixed to the next one, instead of free. Then connect a chain to two ends (spaced the length of the chain) and see if it hangs without collapsing or not.

If you want proof such a stupidly simple premise then buy a chain.

#1570093 - 12/04/10 03:36 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Nyiregyhazi]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
If you want proof such a stupidly simple premise then buy a chain.
The first half of the sentence I get - I can see why you have no sources.


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

#1570097 - 12/04/10 03:44 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
I have no sources because mechanics is fact. Were I to waste my time writing the full proof, you would not understand it without any background in the subject. I do not appreciate such tedious, flippant sarcasm. Do you ask a mechanical engineer for "sources" too? Do have any interest in the subject matter- or simply in trying to discredit me with empty spin?

If you dispute that then get a chain that is attached at two points that are at a distance of the chains length. Then show me that chain dropping to the floor. Alternately, attach a chain at one end only and show me a photo of it being supported horizontally without collapsing.

If you are not prepared to further this with anything other than the absurd request for sources, please do not waste my time. I should be asking you for your sources of how a structure of free joints can supposedly "hang" without internal efforts or a second point of support. That's an "opinion" that definitely would require a specific citation, if you'd like to attempt to promote it.

#1570099 - 12/04/10 03:45 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Nyiregyhazi]  
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
New York
Nyir: Before getting mad and telling him not to waste your time, please realize that he's the main person here -- probably the only -- with whom you have any chance of getting somewhere. The rest of us are either left behind, turned off, and/or largely uninterested.


"Everything I say is my opinion, including the facts." :-)
#1570102 - 12/04/10 03:49 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: Nyiregyhazi]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
I have no sources because mechanics is fact. Were I to waste my time writing the full proof, you would not understand it without any background in the subject.
The whole point of citations is you don't need to write full proofs - others have done much of the work.

Facts are not science - as the dictionary is not literature. ~Martin H. Fischer


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

#1570105 - 12/04/10 03:54 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nyiregyhazi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,464
Funnily enough, mechanics is based on using your OWN application of fundamental laws- which others have done. Those laws are in every textbook of foundation mechanics, as I told you. Surprisingly enough, not every single possible mechanical scenario has been written out in a text book. I'm not being drawn into such a ridiculous attempt to divert this from the subject- and neither am I spending my time preparing a detailed model of forces that you would be clueless about.

If you're so skeptical, get yourself a chain and start preparing those photos for me and find me your own source of how free joints can "hang" in a one-ended system of support, as you claim. If your mind is even slightly open (and you're actually interested in the subject matter rather than in arguing a predetermined idea at all costs) you'll stop to ask yourself why its impossible to do make a chain do that and what implications that has about an arm at a keyboard...

This is not a political forum where we can put a nice spin on our favourite politicians and a negative one on opposing sides. We are discussing absolute laws that determine possibility in piano playing. If you're only interested in trying to discredit my argument with flippant remarks, there is nothing to be gained for anybody. If you're interested in learning more about what is physically possible at a piano, try looking at what I have to say with an open mind.

#1570111 - 12/04/10 04:02 PM Re: A Lesson in Lumbricales [Re: keyboardklutz]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 10,856
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Well, just don't expect to be taken seriously if you can't supply your readers with the appropriate references. I can't think of one non-fiction volume or paper I own or have ever seen without them - unless it's autobiography!


snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Un Sospiro - measure 22, LH fingering
by gzak. 05/27/17 07:29 PM
Line out jack or Headphone output?
by CMDVN. 05/27/17 05:09 PM
Grand piano on marble floor?
by B Man. 05/27/17 02:49 PM
Sheet music or fakebooks
by dat77. 05/27/17 01:50 PM
Line out jack or Headphone output?
by CMDVN. 05/27/17 01:39 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Report Problems With New Forums
Report Problems with New Forums Here!
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics179,922
Posts2,630,370
Members87,905
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0