2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Tempting though depleted uranium might sound, I think it's still radioactive--- just not enough so to use in a nuclear reactor.

Anyway, the military has snapped up what's on the market. They use it for armor-piecing shells.

I know you'll immediately think of cadmium--- but that is bad news, too; even more toxic. And these elements will be around a long time after the piano is used up. It is just creating a new problem in the environment, not to speak of the techs and factory workers who have to handle it.

It was meant as a joke. It's definitely still radioactive... wink

V
V
Perhaps a slight twist to this interesting topic.

"Our pianos do not use lead as weights".

How does that statement affect the marketing area?

Last edited by victor kam; 12/01/10 11:34 PM.

vk
NY Steinway D 423118
Yamaha UX 2499771
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Does anyone know that the automotive industry uses for wheel-balancing weights? My understanding is that (at least here in S. Africa) lead was phased out of this application a while ago. Whatever they use nowadays, instead of lead, could well be applied in pianos...

Plutonium would also be a nice one - who needs a piano lamp when your instrument glows in the dark. grin

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
In my area, ancient lead pipes are used underground to bring drinking water into houses. As far as I know, I haven't yet been poisoned.

Butt dare izz steel dime, azz deyy sey...(Hal, I'm fading....)

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark R.

Plutonium would also be a nice one - who needs a piano lamp when your instrument glows in the dark. grin

Depleted uranium is far cheaper and almost exactly the same density, but it will never catch on. Piano makers wouldn't use it because they would be forced to change manufacturing techniques. They are so steeped in tradition that if you can't swedge the material to keep it in the key they wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it. Uranium is to darn un-malleable.

But think of the marketing possibilities. "Not only have we eliminated lead from our pianos, but now, never play a cold set of keys again. So long as you don't eat the keys or play more time than the included dosimeter allows daily, you'll be fine. It's just alpha particles, after all."

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
C
C
How about Americium 141? Wait, that's already in our smoke detectors... Isn't it funny that we all have a (extremely) little piece of radioactive man-made element in our houses...? Why not more in our pianos?

Seriously, they could just use iron or steel weights if it bothers people too much. I'd be more worried about lead in the glazing on some china than in a piano. Magnetic accelerated actions look really promising as well.

V
V
If lead is not used, is it possible to use say iron or alloy and put in an extra piece to compensate for the weight difference?

vk
NY Steinway D 423118
Yamaha UX 2499771
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
"ancient lead pipes are used underground to bring drinking water into houses"

Now THAT would ring me alarm bells. Let's remove those first before discussing a few grams in the piano that are NOT intended for eating

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
"If lead is not used, is it possible to use say iron or alloy and put in an extra piece to compensate for the weight difference?"

Yes. I think one other advantage of lead though is that it is so soft that you can just press it in and it will deform to stay put. With harder metals you would have additional mounting problems

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
B
Originally Posted by wouter79
"ancient lead pipes are used underground to bring drinking water into houses"

Now THAT would ring me alarm bells. Let's remove those first before discussing a few grams in the piano that are NOT intended for eating

I believe that the pipes have long since been coated on their insides with mineral deposits from the hard water, so anybody afflicted with Pb poisoning from when the pipes were new are long dead. Heck, even my kettle gets coated within a few days' use....

Anyway, I'm not worrying, just as I don't worry about Hg poisoning from eating fish (I just avoid those high up in the food chain like tuna, sharks, marlin, crocs & alligators.... grin and stick to piranhas).

Direct exposure to lead-based products has been a concern for at least forty years. I remember leaded gasoline, lead-based house paints, and lead/tin plumbing solder. Products such as these clearly provided direct exposure to and/or ingestion of lead. Such products were banned over time and economically viable alternatives were found.

The current concern with lead in products has little to do with exposure during normal operation of a product but rather what happens after the product is disposed of - specifically lead leaching from landfills into the water supply. The electronics industry has been eliminating lead from assembly processes for the past decade or two, not because of concern that someone will swallow a Pentium processor but that lead will be released into the environment when the motherboard is trashed or recycled.

I'm not sure how much lead there is in a piano, but my guess is that it is substantial - far more than would be found in a pre-ROHS PC...

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bennevis

so anybody afflicted with Pb poisoning

P flat poisoning? What inversion gives P flat? Or is P flat one of those really low notes on the Stuart and Sons 102 note piano?

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Anyway, I'm not worrying [about lead water pipes], just as I don't worry about Hg poisoning from eating fish..."

Blame the Gold Rush. A mercury process was used to extract gold from its ores, and a very great deal of it was mined in what is now a very lovely ridgetop park (Almaden Quicksilver) right within the city limits. So now, 150 years later, we have a big problem with mercury leachate into the reservoirs and ground water. Fishing is allowed in the reservoirs, but eating the fish is poisonous. Brain damage, reproductive damage (quite a bit in common with lead poisoning, in fact).

We all remember the Mad Hatter from Lewis Carroll's fantasy books, but he didn't make that part up: hatmakers in Victorian England often came down with crazy-making brain diseases because they handled felt in their work... felt made with a process that used a solution of nitrate of mercury.

Felt? Mercury? What does that have to do with pianos? Hmmm... I don't know. Pianos... felts. I've read something about modern fulling processes, and they don't seem to mention mercury. (Wiki says it was banned in the US in 1941. But how much piano felt is made in the US, I wonder? None, that I've ever heard; it's all offshore now, partly because without environmental restrictions products are cheaper to manufacture.)

Call me overly-cautious, but I buy steam-distilled water for drinking. Ignorance may still be bliss, but I've found things out the hard way too many times already.

Clef

B
B
(''P flat poisoning?'')
Sorry, it's my school science teacher's fault. He insisted we always use the chemical symbols for elements. Pb=lead, Hg=mercury, Au=gold. And H (as in B.A.C.H.) = B natural (as in Stuart & Sons pianos).

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
bennevis,

I have a BS in chemistry. It was just too good of a set up to not make a joke. The joke was as much of a dorky chemistry joke as it was a dorky music joke.

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ah yes, the worldwide anti-Pb hysteria. Similar to the worldwide anti-Hg hysteria, but with even less basis. Should care be used? Of course. Over-react and ban perfectly useful metals from appropriate applications? Ludicrous.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
But how much piano felt is made in the US, I wonder? None, that I've ever heard; it's all offshore now, partly because without environmental restrictions products are cheaper to manufacture.)

Proudly made in USA, and used in Ronsen hammers: http://www.baconfelt.com/

Germany makes a lot of felt, too, and they have pretty strict regulations, I believe.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission