Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
119 registered members (AssociateX, barbaram, Beemer, Amedeus, Bambers, BachToTheFuture, ahinton, 27 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement #664067
08/15/06 05:55 PM
08/15/06 05:55 PM
B
BlueLou Offline OP
BlueLou  Offline OP
B

I recently had a warranty replacement of the keybed in my Yamaha p-120,thanks to a user here,
display name,p120player- so,whoever you are,thanks again!!!,I had no idea there was a warranty recall,since I purchased it from Mars Music,which is sadly now out of business.
Question....does anyone know where to look for the number/type keybed that was installed? (GH2,GH3....)
The tech that did the work said
"Hey,I just put in what they send me...." dorothy.tonja@ckt.net

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement #664068
08/15/06 06:20 PM
08/15/06 06:20 PM
H
hawk85 Offline
hawk85  Offline
H

I'm not sure where to find the model/type of your replacement keyboard assembly. It is probably an improved version of the original GH keyboard. However, anecdotal evidence AND model-to-model playing comparisons by numerous individuals suggest that all GH keyboards are not "exactly" the same (e.g., here are different part numbers for replacement keyboard assemblies depending on the actual digital piano model number). Additionally, YCA tech support told me that a GH3 is not compatible with the P-120. Regardless, congrats on the replacement.

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement #664069
08/15/06 06:38 PM
08/15/06 06:38 PM
B
BlueLou Offline OP
BlueLou  Offline OP
B

I agree about being 'not exactly the same'...
I'm a guitar player that owns a piano,and even so,
can feel the difference in the action.
This is what prompted the question...
How to find out which keybed I now have....
"Anyone...Bueller?... Anyone?"

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement #664070
08/15/06 11:27 PM
08/15/06 11:27 PM
H
hawk85 Offline
hawk85  Offline
H

Yamaha has progressively improved the action on their keyboards and they have not provided the details. I have a newer P-120 and I like it.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement #664071
08/16/06 01:30 AM
08/16/06 01:30 AM
Germany
P
p120player Offline
p120player  Offline
P

Germany
When I had my keyboard replaced the guy took a sticker off from the new keyboard and glued it underneath the P120. The sticker said GH3 and a number.

By the way, you are very welcome wink

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement #664072
08/23/06 06:28 PM
08/23/06 06:28 PM
Naples, FL
I
Iano Offline
Iano  Offline
I

Naples, FL
What are the details of the recall? Is it with specific units?

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement #664073
08/23/06 10:21 PM
08/23/06 10:21 PM
B
BlueLou Offline OP
BlueLou  Offline OP
B

All I had to do was call Yamaha customer service, give them the serial number of the piano and they told me on the spot it was part of the recall. Then they found the nearest authorized dealer for the replacement, the whole process took 30 minutes very impressive. My turn around was about 2 weeks. Still wish I knew what keyboard I had though.

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement #664074
08/24/06 12:42 AM
08/24/06 12:42 AM
H
hawk85 Offline
hawk85  Offline
H

I contacted Yamaha very early this year and I was told the part number for the P-120 keybed is VZ705401; and for P-140: V8278501.

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement #664075
08/24/06 03:23 AM
08/24/06 03:23 AM
B
BlueLou Offline OP
BlueLou  Offline OP
B

Forgot to mention,when I called Yamaha,I got an operator who directed my call,and then I got
(somebody's) voice mail,telling me to leave a short description of my issue,and my phone#.
I was doubtful at best,but left a mmessage.
Then called again,got the same operator,who
directed me to (someone else's)voice mail ,so
I left another message....it was nearly 5PM in their time zone,so I expected nothing,
not that day,anyway.

Five minutes after the 2nd voice mail,I got a call from the 1st message---it turned out to be the same lady who got me a service manual,back
when the keybed first started acting up--
I gave her the serial # and she told me it was on
the list as a recall,and looked up a tech to do the work,while I waited.Like I said,took maybe 30
minutes,including the wait for the return call!!!

But there's more....I no sooner hung up from that call,when the (2nd voice mail) other guy called,
saying 'Hey we've got you down for a keybed replacement,was there something else?'

WOW!!!

I've always liked Yamaha gear,I have 2 of their pianos,a guitar amp,some processing stuff,
and 2 guitars...and they WORK.
It's great to know they will back up their products in the unlikely event something gets by in the 1st place.
Yo,Yamaha Guys,you got an endorsee over here!!!

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement [Re: BlueLou] #1559224
11/16/10 08:10 PM
11/16/10 08:10 PM
United States
J
JKnecht Offline
JKnecht  Offline
J

United States
Hello! First time post here.

Just bought a p120 from a used shop in Kentucky which shipped it to Chicago where I live. Unfortunately, when the makeshift packaging was opened up, I saw that the 7 of the top (highest) 8 black keys were stuck in the down position.

Before ordering, shop claimed the piano was in excellent shape, and apart from the bad black keys, that appears to be the case. I suspect the damage came during shipping, as I saw the UPS man slide the box off a stair in his truck so that one end slammed down on the newt lower stair. Can't be sure it was the same side, but it seems a decent guess that maybe that was the jolt that did it.

Question - do I return the keyboard? I have already notified the used shop, and they are preparing a claim against UPS. Or do I try keep it and try to get the keybed replaced? I would prefer the second option, as long as I'm not shelling out more money. I know about the recall, but I'm not sure yet whether my item has had the keybed replaced already.

Price paid - 599.99 + 60 shipping.

Joe

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement [Re: BlueLou] #1559232
11/16/10 08:17 PM
11/16/10 08:17 PM
Denton Texas
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member
LesCharles73  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Denton Texas
If you decide the keyboard, the replacement parts and labor shouldn't cost that much even if your piano is not on the recall list. A jammed key is a pretty common and easily fixable issue. It's unlikely that the event you witnessed caused the damage you describe, but if that is any indication of how the package was treated, something could have fallen on it or; keep in mind that packages travel down hundreds of feet of conveyor belts, slides, etc at the UPS hubs.

Edit: I just saw that you said the 7 top black keys. I thought you meant the 7th black key from the top. Could you possibly get it to a local shop real fast to at least assess the damage to determine whether or not it is fixable (assuming again that your instrument is not part of the recall)? However, you might get lucky and it is part of the recall.

Last edited by LesCharles73; 11/16/10 08:24 PM.

Les C Deal

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement [Re: JKnecht] #1559240
11/16/10 08:30 PM
11/16/10 08:30 PM
Redondo Beach, California
C
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChrisA  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C

Redondo Beach, California

You do know that you are posting to a four year old thread.

When an item is damaged in transit the shipper is the one who must file the claim. You need to keep the packaging. There is a good change UPS will look at it and say the package does not meet their requirements. I think UPS requires 2 inches of padding material on all six sides.

Replacing the entire key bed is not worth the money, cost is more then what you paid for the P120. But you can buy keys one at a time and they may not even be broken, just shifted some how. It may be an easy repair, or not.

I'd not do anything at all until the seller andUPS decide what to do. The seller offered a working piano delivered to you and will have to offer a refund if he can't do that. He is hoping to get money from UPS but you should not care, that is between them

Originally Posted by JKnecht
Hello! First time post here.

Just bought a p120 from a used shop in Kentucky which shipped it to Chicago where I live. Unfortunately, when the makeshift packaging was opened up, I saw that the 7 of the top (highest) 8 black keys were stuck in the down position.

Before ordering, shop claimed the piano was in excellent shape, and apart from the bad black keys, that appears to be the case. I suspect the damage came during shipping, as I saw the UPS man slide the box off a stair in his truck so that one end slammed down on the newt lower stair. Can't be sure it was the same side, but it seems a decent guess that maybe that was the jolt that did it.

Question - do I return the keyboard? I have already notified the used shop, and they are preparing a claim against UPS. Or do I try keep it and try to get the keybed replaced? I would prefer the second option, as long as I'm not shelling out more money. I know about the recall, but I'm not sure yet whether my item has had the keybed replaced already.

Price paid - 599.99 + 60 shipping.

Joe

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement [Re: BlueLou] #1559388
11/17/10 02:13 AM
11/17/10 02:13 AM
Germany
hpeterh Offline
500 Post Club Member
hpeterh  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Germany
A claim against UPS would probably not be successful if the packet is not visibly damaged.

If the content of the package can be damaged without damaging the cardboard of the packet then UPS will say "this is unproperly packaged".

If totally shockfree handling is reqired, then it must be sent with a special curier or service, but not with UPS.

Also, how the shop handles the problem with UPS doesnt matter for you.
What ever will be the result - if it was damaged by UPS or by improper packaging should not be your problem, it is the problem of the shop and they should repair or replace it.

1929 Galaxy Bl├╝thner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement [Re: BlueLou] #1560556
11/19/10 02:35 AM
11/19/10 02:35 AM
United States
J
JKnecht Offline
JKnecht  Offline
J

United States
Thanks all for the input. Yamaha folks told me this piano is not eligible for keybed replacement, and that the recall I've heard about was prompted by problems that did not affect black keys. They encouraged me to take it to a local Yamaha licensed repair facility.

The packaging shows signs of stress, (dents?) but no punctures, rips, etc.

I've kept the shop abreast of all communications, and they seem to be cooperative, so far. Though I wonder if I should have had them do the leg work of contacting Yamaha and arranging for a local repair. I'll take it into a local repair facility tomorrow and send an estimate to the used gear store.

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement [Re: BlueLou] #1560634
11/19/10 08:35 AM
11/19/10 08:35 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina

Re: Yamaha p-120 keybed replacement [Re: MacMacMac] #1567971
12/01/10 03:16 PM
12/01/10 03:16 PM
Denton Texas
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member
LesCharles73  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Denton Texas
Resurrecting this topic.

I recently received a Fatar TP-20 action which was also damaged in shipping. I'm working on repairing the unit, but I believe I have found the underlying cause to jammed keys.

Fatar uses key guides which are basically a metal tab which has a rubber sleeve over it which basically the front of the key slides over, keeping it from shifting side-to-side while playing. In a side impact, these tabs can be bent to the side, causing the keys to press against them, thus causing them to jam. I took apart my Fatar to find that these guides need to simply be bent back in to place so that they're straight up and down again. Many of the keys are undamaged, and all of the hammers still work fine.

I know that Yamaha uses a different set up, but it should be comparable. The best part is that it can be repaired for free if you're mechanically inclined and find no broken parts!

Les C Deal

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NEXT Level Reharm Course
by dbowensmusic. 11/19/18 09:51 AM
Shake it?
by Markuska. 11/19/18 07:32 AM
Estonia 168 for sale in my area, opinions?
by squidbot. 11/19/18 04:05 AM
MIDI
by David Taylor. 11/19/18 03:53 AM
Charles Cooke's classical repertoire suggestions for amateur
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/19/18 02:04 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,415
Posts2,762,542
Members91,524
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission