2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
OP Offline
S
And a last question?
Is it ok when she plays Chopin Etude at full Tempo when she is 9,5 or 10 years old?
Is that the criteria in music?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by simgekivilcim
And a last question?
Is it ok when she plays Chopin Etude at full Tempo when she is 9,5 or 10 years old?
Is that the criteria in music?

It shouldn't be the criterion, but it does tend to impress the impressionable.

I don't think most kids playing music, regardless of how talented, should be getting a lot of public exposure. They need to be working on getting a well-grounded musical education, rather than working on advanced virtuoso literature, which they can get to in good time.

There are inherent problems in the simple fact that a child is still growing, and the physical aspect of playing goes through some big changes as they mature. That poor child playing the Chopin "Winter Wind" etude, that was linked in another post, is going to have to totally relearn it when she is fully grown, because what she is doing now is not what she will need to be doing to play it as a mature person. I know, because I was "playing beyond my years" when I was a kid, and it became a huge problem to readjust everything when I reached full growth. And worse, at the time, neither I nor my teachers were smart enough about it to realize it was an issue.

The girl you have brought to our attention plays quite well for having had lessons for relatively little time, and for her age. It's obvious that she's musically inclined and has picked up the basics quickly, and is advancing. I am not sure what else you want to know.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm actually quite uncertain to why this thread exists in either way! The girl plays quite well. That's almost a given. Is she recital material? Is she prodigy material? I'm not too sure nor I'd like it to be so, since I believe that prodigies get destroyed in the very harsh proccess of real life professionalism too early in life!

If she's enjoying it, she's fine! She's playing quite nicely! She'll be a fine pianist, perhaps more! It's too early to decide a career for her, anyways.

So let her keep playing the piano and that's about it: There's always going to be someone younger, playing better than her (and than everyone). And, apple, I hardly feel an amateur after all those videos. I rather feel very fine that I keep enjoying playing the piano and hope to be able to do that at a much later age! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheSockPuppet
It depends what you mean by really good. Is she in the top 1% for her age? Maybe so. Is that really good?

She is poor compared to the best in the world for her age. Chopin Waltz in A flat and Waltz in C sharp minor are particularly easy Chopin as compared to the Chopin Etudes.

Here are a few links to really good children of a similar age playing the Chopin Etudes at full tempo.

Haochen Zhang
(already posted by pianoloverus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Nr_yuneFQ

George Li
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHzZDdhQSnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUiYUOuwKg

Jordan Adams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4td_Zn6G3U&playnext=1&list=PLFA89444843987CF3&index=16

Anna Larsen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUBNCUoakw

Now that is really good.

Do they have Psychologists in Turkey? I don't know about us being called a bunch of racists on someone's 4th post.

Hey, stick a sock in your puppet! No one asked for comparisons. The only question that was asked was "is this kid really good", and the obvious answer is yes.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

T
T
Maybe it is a little harsh to say the girl plays poorly. I listened to the second video again. The girl seems to have a full mastery of that piece and plays it as well as anyone. You could say the playing is quite good, maybe even really good.

But really good has the connotation of the best, or most impressive you have ever heard. In that respect playing Chopin Waltzes does not compare with playing Chopin Etudes. Playing the Etudes is much much more difficult.

We can quibble about her exact age, years of training etc. but that is beside the point. The OP brought up her age in the first line. Maybe the girl will play the Chopin Etudes sometime soon. But until she does is hard to say she is really good compared to the other kids listed above.

It seems a Turkish psychologist education consist entirely of calling people racists and spew insults.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
But really good has the connotation of the best, or most impressive you have ever heard. In that respect playing Chopin Waltzes does not compare with playing Chopin Etudes. Playing the Etudes is much much more difficult.

By this logic, Rubinstein was an inferior pianist, having recorded the waltzes but not the etudes.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I really like her playing, especially enjoyed the C# minor waltz. Good luck Eylul Esme in your piano studies, you look like you are enjoying it.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
D
D
cannot tell, this piece is too easy. She doesn't sound like anything extraordinary playing this after one year. I could bring bunch of kids playing like that. IMO by definition a kid cennot be good enough except the technicall ability. Kids have nothing to tell yet.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
This is silly for me to even say so, I mean she's a little kid, an obviously very talented little kid. I'd kill for her speed.. but I find 64/2 pretty mechanical, kind of hammering away in parts.

Originally Posted by delirious
I could bring bunch of kids playing like that.

And all of them would be very good.

The accomplishments of others do not invalidate or detract from the accomplishments of oneself.

This girl in the original video is quite good. There are other children in the world who are also quite good. I don't see why people are making such a fuss about pointing that out. I could, with ease, post YouTube videos of pianists who are better than anybody here.

I would hope that the community here at PianoWorld would be quick to applaud the accomplishments of others.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
The accomplishments of others do not invalidate or detract from the accomplishments of oneself.

This girl in the original video is quite good. There are other children in the world who are also quite good. I don't see why people are making such a fuss about pointing that out. I could, with ease, post YouTube videos of pianists who are better than anybody here.

I would hope that the community here at PianoWorld would be quick to applaud the accomplishments of others.

+1

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
+2

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
D
D

I agree and that's what I meant, what was the point of posting this video?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
the internet is a cruel age when it comes to comparing yourself to others.

it's both good and bad. mostly good, you just have to get used to not being the absolute "best in the world". or maybe not "get used to"... more like knowing how to manage it.

but yeah, she's very good.

S
OP Offline
S

Great..I liked this perspective so much.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by stores
[...] No one asked for comparisons. The only question that was asked was "is this kid really good", and the obvious answer is yes.

I think I would say

+1

to the above excerpt from stores' post, but no one has ever told me what +1 means!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I'm actually quite uncertain to why this thread exists in either way! The girl plays quite well. That's almost a given. Is she recital material? Is she prodigy material? I'm not too sure nor I'd like it to be so, since I believe that prodigies get destroyed in the very harsh proccess of real life professionalism too early in life!

If she's enjoying it, she's fine! She's playing quite nicely! She'll be a fine pianist, perhaps more! It's too early to decide a career for her, anyways.

So let her keep playing the piano and that's about it: There's always going to be someone younger, playing better than her (and than everyone). And, apple, I hardly feel an amateur after all those videos. I rather feel very fine that I keep enjoying playing the piano and hope to be able to do that at a much later age! smile

This is the soul of the mediterranean.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by stores
It depends what you mean by really good. Is she in the top 1% for her age? Maybe so. Is that really good?

She is poor compared to the best in the world for her age. Chopin Waltz in A flat and Waltz in C sharp minor are particularly easy Chopin as compared to the Chopin Etudes.

Here are a few links to really good children of a similar age playing the Chopin Etudes at full tempo.

Haochen Zhang
(already posted by pianoloverus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Nr_yuneFQ

George Li
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHzZDdhQSnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUiYUOuwKg

Jordan Adams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4td_Zn6G3U&playnext=1&list=PLFA89444843987CF3&index=16

Anna Larsen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUBNCUoakw

Now that is really good.

Do they have Psychologists in Turkey? I don't know about us being called a bunch of racists on someone's 4th post.

Hey, stick a sock in your puppet! No one asked for comparisons. The only question that was asked was "is this kid really good", and the obvious answer is yes.

+1000

M
M
Define "really good".

Is she a very good Chopinist?

heck no. I would not buy an album of her complete Chopin waltzes at the moment. It doesn't look like she understands what she's playing (which is certainly understandable for her age). If she improves (and she's clearly on that path), we'll see.

Is she a very good technician for her age and a very good example of a semi-child prodigy (even having the ability to play Chopin coherently after only a year of study)?

It certainly seems so.

T
T
"Is this kid really good?"

The title asks for and evaluation. And really good commonly means better than others. It is odd this must be defined so carfully. The OP's english seems good enough to understand these idioms despite being from Turkey. (They certainly know how to call people haters.)

There seems to be a PW rule you cannot make clear distinctions. You cannot say one piano is better than another. You must say they are all good, pick the one you like best. But this is both boring and misleading. There are clear distinctions which are of most interest to discuss.

I am not the ultimate authority on the definition of really good. I can only give examples of performances which I find jaw dropping and those I do not. Having attempted to play some of the pieces helps in that it gives one some idea of the skill level invovled. From this point of view, I find the performances I listed above to be jaw dropping and the Waltz performance more ordinary.

Last edited by TheSockPuppet; 12/01/10 12:56 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission