2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
My Sonata repertoire includes
1) Complete Moonlight
2) Incomplete Pathetique (Working on 3rd movement)

I want to start a third beethoven sonata, as I have just finished some Baroque pieces and would like to balance out the repertoire.

Is appassionata harder than both the Moonlight and Pathetique?

A
A
Yes quite a bit in my opinion lol

Challenge is always good though!

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Do you mean technically or musically? I found the Appassionata technically easier than the Waldstein (but I guess that's not a good comparison for you unless you've played the waldstein) and the 3Mov the Appassionata is certainly less technically challenging than the 3M of the Moonlight. The Appassionata is technically a huge step up from the Pathetique. On the musical side of things, the appassionata needs some work to keep it fresh and inventive because the piece deals with the same themes over and over again and it's been heard so many times. I'd suggest the Waldstein instead, but it's your decision. smile
~ Milana

slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
how do you feel about the Tempest?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Tempest is nice. How about Op. 22? I always push that one on people, because it's under-appreciated and (although I'm usually scared to admit this) it very well could be my favorite of the lot.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
More difficult than the "Moonlight" and "Pathetique"? Ummm, just a wee bit. Why doesn't anyone ever suggest the Op. 14 sonatas? Such beautiful music and they're so overlooked. Beethoven, even arranged No. 1 for string quartet. The Op. 10 sonatas are excellent choices as well. Op. 26 is another oft overlooked gem and you could always have yourself all of Op. 27 if you so choose. Orrrr you could go with 31/3, which I happen to really love.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The ones I'd suggest are:

Op. 2/1
Op. 10/1
Op. 10/2
Op. 14/1
Op. 90

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
More difficult than the "Moonlight" and "Pathetique"? Ummm, just a wee bit. Why doesn't anyone ever suggest the Op. 14 sonatas? Such beautiful music and they're so overlooked. Beethoven, even arranged No. 1 for string quartet. The Op. 10 sonatas are excellent choices as well. Op. 26 is another oft overlooked gem and you could always have yourself all of Op. 27 if you so choose. Orrrr you could go with 31/3, which I happen to really love.

Even you don't recommend the Op. 22?? shocked Didn't Beethoven himself really like that one?

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 11/28/10 09:50 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Originally Posted by stores

Even you don't recommend the Op. 22?? shocked Didn't Beethoven himself really like that one?

Well it actually DID cross my mind as I clicked the "submit" button, but then you'd already suggested it so...
Yes, Beethoven, was quite please with his work on Op. 22 and rightly so.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by chobeethaninov
....the 3Mov the Appassionata is certainly less technically challenging than the 3M of the Moonlight...

You really think so? That surprises me a lot. I can easily play the 3M of the Moonlight, but I have several weaknesses in the 3M of the Appassionata. Are you sure you didn't mean that the other way around?

I'd go with the Waldstein or the Tempest as the next one to learn. Very enjoyable and engaging pieces to play.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by slerk
My Sonata repertoire includes
1) Complete Moonlight
2) Incomplete Pathetique (Working on 3rd movement)

I want to start a third beethoven sonata, as I have just finished some Baroque pieces and would like to balance out the repertoire.

Is appassionata harder than both the Moonlight and Pathetique?

Why not go for Les Adieux! One of my favourites!

But I think anyone with the discipline to complete both the Moonlight and the Pathetique will be more than capable of the Appassionata; afterall, it's just a matter of practise, practise, practise, practise....

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Why always go for the most hellish difficulties? Why not honour the lyric qualities of Ludwig, op.78/90 wouldn't blemish any repertoire.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ando

You really think so? That surprises me a lot. I can easily play the 3M of the Moonlight, but I have several weaknesses in the 3M of the Appassionata. Are you sure you didn't mean that the other way around?

Nope:) I have very small hands (an octave is about all I reach) and those crazy trills and weird arpeggios in the moonlight are really a struggle for me in the moonlight but the appassionata fits my hand like a glove!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission