2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think much of genius in the arts is about sensuality - SI. Playing a good instrument, hearing dissonance/consonance - these are integral. Piaget would be the first to admit that if adolescents are not giving the opportunities to exercise their newly required formal operational skills they'll wither - SI likewise, which is why so many don't 'get' music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
I think much of genius in the arts is about sensuality - SI. Playing a good instrument, hearing dissonance/consonance - these are integral. Piaget would be the first to admit that if adolescents are not giving the opportunities to exercise their newly required formal operational skills they'll wither - SI likewise, which is why so many don't 'get' music.
When you say "SI" are you referring to sensory integration?

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Originally Posted by Bech
I would say talent has much to do with "sensitivity." Some artists are more sensitive. They feel music more intensely and therefore can express it more expressively.

Then, perhaps, it's the combination of extra sensitivity plus hard-won technique that makes the great instrumentalist. Those who "make the instrument sing."

Sensitivity would be far more important than technique since many pieces do not require great technique but all require sensitivity as a prerequisite to excellent expression.
That hits the nail on the head for me. Dave Horne, I loved your link - must break out my Pinker. This made me laugh - 'Take that, Howard Gardner!'
Could it be that "feeling the music more intensely" possibly accounts for some people naturally practicing more/working harder to master their instrument than others because they are getting some type of positive internal feedback that many don't? Could what appears to be self-discipline actually be, in some cases anyway, something of a "runners' high" sort of situation?

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Originally Posted by Bech
I would say talent has much to do with "sensitivity." Some artists are more sensitive. They feel music more intensely and therefore can express it more expressively.

Then, perhaps, it's the combination of extra sensitivity plus hard-won technique that makes the great instrumentalist. Those who "make the instrument sing."

Sensitivity would be far more important than technique since many pieces do not require great technique but all require sensitivity as a prerequisite to excellent expression.
That hits the nail on the head for me. Dave Horne, I loved your link - must break out my Pinker. This made me laugh - 'Take that, Howard Gardner!'
Could it be that "feeling the music more intensely" possibly accounts for some people naturally practicing more/working harder to master their instrument than others because they are getting some type of positive internal feedback that many don't? Could what appears to be self-discipline actually be, in some cases anyway, something of a "runners' high" sort of situation?

Little Blue Engine,

You make a really good point. That is, practicing more because you feel the music more intensely than most. Or, you're getting a "pay back" that most pianists can't experience. Stimulas/response, the more the stimulas the greater the response which leads to more practicing. I wonder also if, perhaps, this great amount of practicing helps to sharpen the pianist's superior sensitivities even more? You get what you pay for kind of thing.

This reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: "Everything has a price." Surely talent can be nurtured by lots of, willing, practice.

How much of a person's ability is due to natural talent and how much of it is due to the willingness to do whatever it takes? A tough question. No doubt it's a combination of these two things. As we know, the "work ethic" of people varies tremendously. Yet, so does the natural talent.

Bech

Last edited by Bech; 11/29/10 05:13 PM.

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission