2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1564777 11/26/10 08:44 PM
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I am becoming more and more aware of how poor my early piano teachers really were. I'm usually not someone who dwells on the past but lately I've been feeling deep regret for paths not taken because of opportunitites I did not know about. I seem to have had a line of teachers who selfishly kept me as a student because my enthusiasm made me fun to work with. They all should have passed me on to the next level.

I was recently told (at an audition) that I should have been a performance major in college. Sigh. I'm determined to make up for lost time but at the ripening ago of (almost) 60, I find that people see a white head and assume all doors are closed.

We'll see about that!

Best regards,

Deborah
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gooddog

I was recently told (at an audition) that I should have been a performance major in college. Sigh. I'm determined to make up for lost time but at the ripening ago of (almost) 60, I find that people see a white head and assume all doors are closed.

We'll see about that!

There's always hair dye. smile

Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
I'm allergic to it! And besides, every white hair was earned.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Someone once told me when I was auditioning (I'd already been out of college for 10 years when I went back for music) that I was too old to learn, and that if I had been 18 they would have seen potential and taken me. That was a blow to my confidence, and I've been fighting against that thought ever since. If I do believe those thoughts, they will impact my potential and give the doors a much greater chance of being closed. I am DETERMINED to succeed, and will continue sticking my head in the sand to ignore those thoughts until I do!

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Arghhh
Someone once told me when I was auditioning (I'd already been out of college for 10 years when I went back for music) that I was too old to learn, and that if I had been 18 they would have seen potential and taken me. That was a blow to my confidence, and I've been fighting against that thought ever since. If I do believe those thoughts, they will impact my potential and give the doors a much greater chance of being closed. I am DETERMINED to succeed, and will continue sticking my head in the sand to ignore those thoughts until I do!

Which program is this, I'm curious. Schools have "extension diploma programs" for people with a degree and want a conservatoire experience. Perhaps you were auditioning for a place geared towards young undergrads?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Damon

We'll see about that!

No way! Her stunning silver-white hair is part of her vibrant persona!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
never.

M
M
Originally Posted by itsfreakingmeout
never.

and ever.

thumb

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
It would be foolish to say to every person in every situation "Go for it, you can do it", because sometimes it just isn't true. There are things in the world that you simply can't do. For example, I'm sorry to break this to you, but it's too late for you to become a child prodigy. And I think pro basketball is out as well. smile

But there are many many more things that you probably could do, that you've just never tried. smile

Never forget that you're talking about music. When a brain surgeon makes a major error, the patient dies. When a musician makes a major error, the audience may wonder what happened... or they may not. Big difference. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
That's a bit negative Dave. Yes, you'll never play the big works but life's too short for all that. You can be a contender on the other stuff though - as good as it gets.

Laissez tomber les mains
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
That's a bit negative Dave. Yes, you'll never play the big works but life's too short for all that. You can be a contender on the other stuff though - as good as it gets.
If your goal, whether at 18 or at 60, is to be a performance major in college, then you are talking about playing the big works.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by david_a
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
If your goal, whether at 18 or at 60, is to be a performance major in college, then you are talking about playing the big works.

That's true. Most have no idea what it takes to be a performance major.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
For once (not that I've had much opportunity) I agree. Though doing performance at college is a substantially lesser challenge than in the real world.

Last edited by chopin_r_us; 11/27/10 07:22 AM.

Laissez tomber les mains
G
G
I am becoming more and more aware of how poor my early piano teachers really were. I'm usually not someone who dwells on the past but lately I've been feeling deep regret for paths not taken because of opportunitites I did not know about. I seem to have had a line of teachers who selfishly kept me as a student because my enthusiasm made me fun to work with. They all should have passed me on to the next level.

I've kinda been there too. I actually started playing somewhere around 6 years old. When I was 8-9 my mother suggested to me that I should go to music school. I said that I didn't want to 'cause I didn't like classical music or piano teachers. I just continued playing on my own and didn't improve that much. And eventually I nearly stopped playing around 13-14. Then I got motivation to play at age of 17. Now I'm 20 and during these 3 years I've regretted it so much that I didn't go to music school when my mom suggested it. And when I think of going there now, I just feel so old that I can't.

Fortunately my technique has improved during this year and I've got my confidence back a little thanks to that. But I must say that starting playing again has been my greatest joy these last years but also my greatest curse. That little thing saying in my head: "I could be a lot better than this if I just had listened to my mom back then".

So what's the lesson of this story? LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHERS!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Regrets? Life is full of them, even for me at the age of 33 (with silver hair non the less... :D).

Deborah is going the greatly right way to challenge herself. It's the trip that counts eventually! So, yeah I say, GO FOR IT! Full speed! There's nothing to lose!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Deborah,

Try not to dwell on the past too much. I am a sophomore in college at almost 59. I didn't even start taking lessons until I was almost 14 and had dreams of pursuing a performance degree. But that didn't happen and I ended up not touching a piano for a very long time (30+ years!). I am always playing catch-up and it takes me forever learning pieces becasue I'm also trying at the same time to learn the technique involved. And memorization? It seems to take forever. Right now I am a B.A. candidate in music. I could switch to a B.M. in performance, but I really don't want to put myself under the pressure of a Junior and Senior recital. And I simply don't have the 6-7 hours of practice time available like all the younger performance majors. But everyone in the music department is so supportive of me, especially my teacher. And I do play some bigger pieces. Will I ever play Gaspard? Probably not. But that's okay. I'm finally doing the thing I really love...making music.

Sharon

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
Online Content
Does this mean you intend to become a performance major at college or just apply yourself more assiduously to practicing now that you have a more knowledgable teacher?

Although compliments are nice at an audition, I don't really see how someone could judge your what ability was 40+ years ago with the degree of accuracy to be able to say what could have been done that long ago. If you were good enough to be a performance major at 18, wouldn't you be much better than that at this point?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/27/10 10:48 AM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Go for a performance degree as long as you are sure you'll have the time to dedicate towards practice.

Don't rule out playing the 'big works.' Even if you can't get some of them up to performance level, the reward of discovering things in those pieces for yourself - not to mention that at some point, you might end up teaching advanced students - is really gratifying.

Last edited by Gerard12; 11/27/10 11:06 AM.

Piano instruction and performance
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rui725
Originally Posted by Arghhh

Which program is this, I'm curious. Schools have "extension diploma programs" for people with a degree and want a conservatoire experience. Perhaps you were auditioning for a place geared towards young undergrads?

This was for a B.A./B.M. degree at a local state university. To be fair, I did reaudition a few months later, and they took me on the second audition, but unfortunately the words still stuck. There is some truth in them - the brain becomes less capable of learning new things quickly after the teen years. But, I'm thinking that if I am smarter about my practicing, I can reduce some of that handicap.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Not to be mean, but you are going at it the wrong way. For starters, you need to get out of "I had bad teachers" mode. A teacher is a mere guide, you are doing the walking. Then you need to identify your goal, precisely and beyond the am I too old/feel good reaction/counter-reaction mantra back and forth..
Third, you need to be realistic, not because you are 60 but rather because achievement takes careful planning, at any age. You cannot fight biology: you and all of us are continuously aging. But you can fight mental inertia, up to a degree or until/if you get Alzheimer's.
Take charge, educate yourself, widen your horizons beyond your current wonderful teacher and beware of settling too comfortably in any one situation.. The "other" teachers did not tie you down to study with them: you stayed because you enjoyed the feel good atmosphere. Ignorance is not a good excuse either. You should have and could have known better, if music was really your calling..

Having said that, all the above cannot matter. Seize the moment and change direction towards a clearly defined destination. Make sure that if your heart and mind are in the clouds, your feet remain solidly on the ground, ie a dose of reality is a crucial component of achievable dreams. I would say exactly the same words to an 18 year old.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission