2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 40 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 39 40
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Excellent...look forward to your findings!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just ordered my NX. Should be here Friday. Can't wait to put it up against the GXF. smile

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sounds great - I look forward to the review PianoZac!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Pianozac,
may I ask you to try this classical (Chopin Polonaise) midi file?

It would be wonderful to have an mp3 to compare the NX sound with other instruments.

I will post soon my Promega 3 and Pianoteq rendering of the same midi file.

Thanks in advance.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qbert
Pianozac,
may I ask you to try this classical (Chopin Polonaise) midi file?

It would be wonderful to have an mp3 to compare the NX sound with other instruments.

I will post soon my Promega 3 and Pianoteq rendering of the same midi file.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know that Polonaise, but I will certainly try to post something. Nice playing by the way. What was that recorded on?

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
P
P
Originally Posted by PianoZac
I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the RD700NX, and give as comprehensible of a review between it and the RD700GXF I currently have and report in here...

Awesome. I'll be looking forward to it! Thanks! thumb

A
A
Hi,
I'm new to this forum.
Since I'm also waiting for the rd700nx would like to be in touch.

Thanks!
AC

R
R
Originally Posted by ACABRITA
Hi,
I'm new to this forum.
Since I'm also waiting for the rd700nx would like to be in touch.

Thanks!
AC

Welcome. I'm new too but I babble a lot so I've got my post count up and look like an old timer here grin

C
C
Add me to the list of customers waiting their pre-ordered RD-700NX. I also ordered the KS-G8 stand. The saleswoman told me that my NX will be received at the store on December 1st. Having paid for overnight shipping, I should have the unit by the end of next week. I am getting more anxious and excited every day.

Now for the events leading up to this purchase. I visited my local dealer to try out the CP1 and V-Piano. The minute I saw the CP1 I liked its appearance -- but that was all. I did not care for its action compared to Roland keyboards. As for the CP1 sound, I did not like it at all. Everything seemed wrong about it. I could not imagine paying $5,000 for what little this thing does over lower priced digital pianos. Not worth it, in my opinion.

I moved on to the V-Piano. This was a VERY big mistake. I instantly fell in love with its appearance, feel, and terrific sound. But right now $6,000 is beyond my budget. For the next few days I nearly went out of my mind thinking about the V-Piano. Eventually, I came to my senses and told myself the purchase must be postponed for about a year. It causes me distress every time I think about the long wait. Those of you who own this fine piano are really fortunate.

In the interim I am looking forward to my RD-700NX. Hour after hour I keep thinking about the NX and how to prepare for its arrival. This weekend I am clearing a large space in my studio. In the interim I keep checking the web for new information, though there is none to be found. It's a maddening wait!

ClassicalMastery, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new NX!

The list price of the V-Piano may well be $6000, however I gather that some users here paid a considerable amount less.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
I was blown away by the CP-1. Don't really care for DX type sounds but when I played the one's on the CP-1 I couldn't stop. AP's and Rhodes are great too. You can shop it for a lot less than 5k. Like the V-piano too. Killer AP's. Just too big to gig with.

A
A
Here it is a recording I made with my new RD-700NX.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu06MRMvNDE

Can't wait to get home, my NX is waiting for me laugh

Roland FP-90X, Kronos2-61
C
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The list price of the V-Piano may well be $6000, however I gather that some users here paid a considerable amount less.
I searched very hard for a price less than $6,000. Those deals might have been available in limited quantity for a short period. The only units available now for less than the full amount are customer returns and refurbished units. I won't accept anything other than a new V-Piano, so this purchase will have to wait at least a few months.

Speaking of waiting, hopefully my NX will be shipped soon. The wait is killing me. There aren't any new youtube videos of the NX. Few customers must have received their unit so far.

A
A
ClassicalMastery...I received mine on monday. I already put one test recording in youtube today, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu06MRMvNDE

C
C
Thanks. I watched that video, but there was a snowstorm in progress. The entire background was white. I couldn't see you playing your new NX. Or were you just trying to fool us, and you actually recorded your GX while waiting for the NX delivery? grin

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Can anyone out there with an NX provide DPBSD MP3s of the three basic AP patches? These would be:

- Concert Grand
- Studio Grand
- Brilliant Grand

I'm trying to figure out if there is just one SN base piano out there with multiple patch variations, or if there indeed are multiple SN base pianos.

Thanks!

Dewster: I'll give it a crack tonight if no one beats me to it smile

Roland FP-90X, Kronos2-61
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 7even
Dewster: I'll give it a crack tonight if no one beats me to it smile

Sounds good!

I'm looking through the manual now and I honestly can't tell if you can render MIDI => WAV or not.

P
P
I've been playing on the RD 700NX since last Friday. I had an RD 700SX, and sold it for the upgrade. I have run the keyboard through an old pair of studio monitors (an old pair of Alesis MkII actives), a Roland KC500 amp and a PA system.

Preliminary impressions

There is no doubt at all that this is a huge step up from the SX.

I like the fake ivory-feel keys. I know some don't but to me it adds to the sense of playing a real instrument as opposed to a synth (or a hammond B-3, for that matter)

The action is superb. For the first time, if I close my eyes, I can imagine that I am sitting at a grand. Feel is subjective and varies from grand to grand, so for some this will not seem right,but I was very impressed. The escapement feel is odd, because it is duplicating an artifact that shouldn't make a keyboard feel "better" to play, but it adds to the connection with the instrument.

The improvement in the piano sounds is also obvious and very good. I think the studio piano is rightly named. It's a more subtle sound that would do well in a recording, or where a warm jazz or similar sound is right. The Concert is a fuller and more in-your-face sound, but can be very expressive, There just seems to be more dynamic range. The Brilliant piano is probably something that would beuseful to cut through a mix live, but I see myself using it least of all.

The piano sounds are more relistic and less grainy (sorry, it's the only word that comes to mind) than the SX. It is still not a grand piano, because it can't reproduce the feel of being surrounded by and playing on a wood and steel instrument. No one will sit at the NX with a blindfold and believe they are at a Steiway concert grand. The interaction of the harmonics (sympathetic resonance), for example, is really good, but not quite there. On the other hand, this is just about as close as I've come to that feeling. The NX compares very favourably with the V-Piano, and that's saying a lot (at about half the price), given how impressed I was with that keyboard. What I would expect is that, if you mic'd a grand piano very well in a recording stutio and played it alongside an NX, it would be hard to tell which one was the "fake piano".

That brings me to an intangible, which is the connection between the keys and the sound. A great keyboard feel and a great tone generating engine isn't very useful if there is no subjective feel that they mesh well. The Roland succeeds in this.

The electric pianos and clavs are very good. They are much, much better and more realistic than the SX. You can hear the rubber hammers of the Rhodes, and the electronic leakage of the Wurlitzer. The variety and programmabiltiy isn't as good as some of the Nord boards, but I'll be happy to play them. I use a Hammond B-3 Clone, so I won't comment much on the VK-type organ sounds. They are serviceable and I would use them live in a pinch.

The rest of the sounds are OK, and pretty standard sample playback and GM fare. They are there if you need to use them, but probably will stay in the background for most players. I also found the structure and programmability fairly easy to navigate, but I'm used to the SX.

On the theory that a stage piano is a set of compromises, the NX does very well. It is not a grand piano. There are still some subtle differences that the technology is not quite ready to bridge - at least at real life prices. It is, on the other hand, a great instrument. Usually my acid test is whether I am driven back over and over to play. It's the reason no one should do a review on the first day or so after a purchase like this.

On that basis, this keyboard makes the grade.

Page 21 of 40 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission