2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 50 of 106 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 105 106
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Five tunings in three hours? Wow...36 minutes/tuning. I can go pretty fast, but I couldn't do an accurate tuning in 36 minutes. Way to go!

Thanks! Practice makes perfect. Of course, it certainly helped that all but 1 of the pianos were tuned exactly 1 year ago.... smile

Every time I read your "day stories" I have to think of these old slapstick movies from the 30ies which they now usually replay at current frame rates so everything moves really fast. smile

Thanks for that too. I take it as a compliment of course!

shovelled snow…yes you read that right.. snow in Vancouver this morning…… 5-6 inches…. This is not the way it is supposed to go….all the snow should be at Jerry’s place……

No Dan no! No snow here at all. ha Up in the 50's today again. thumb You can keep it all. I don't want any. yippie

Gee, today, I received one of those annoying calls from a client. This church is on a prearranged schedule of tuning the auditorium Yamaha in September, the 2nd week of December and once again before Easter. For obvious reasons to us, as technicians anyway, we tune it for the beginning of the church season in September. We all know that with weather and humidity changes, pianos change in both tuning and in pitch. Thus, the reason why we are tuning it again in December.

Well, this particular person is a "musician" and thinks because I tuned it on September 23, 2 months ago when the relative humidity in the church read 55-60% that today, when the humidity is reading in the upper 28% range, the piano should still be in tune. And, they insist, the BASS is out of tune with the rest of the piano. Never mind the fact that they are playing the bass using chords...... And, never mind the fact that I tried to explain it was actually the tenor section that had dropped in pitch, not the bass... And, never mind the fact that they hung up on me...

I was trying to explain that, yes, as this person had requested, (they are not the person in charge of setting up tunings, nor are they allowed to do so. They happen to be playing for a funeral which is on Tuesday) I could tune the piano today but, I do not recommend we do so. The weather is not stable yet which is why we wait until December to do the next tuning. I repeated that I do not recommend we tune the piano at this time. Look at what the weather here in Michigan has been doing since August? Hot, cold, hot, cold, warm, warm, freezing, warm... "Well, I guess we'll just have to wait then!" Click.

Boy, some people sure are inconsiderate. I should have offered to tune it and then said, oh, you are are going to be writing me a check today, are you not? And, you are willing to pay me a 50% increase for having me come out for an "emergency tuning-after hours on a Saturday" are you not? That would have really blown her socks off.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Laced a couple of bass strings on a church Yamaha C3 today.

Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

shovelled snow…yes you read that right.. snow in Vancouver this morning…… 5-6 inches…. This is not the way it is supposed to go….all the snow should be at Jerry’s place……

Sorrrrry Dan, but Jer, RPD and I are ganging up on ya this year and forcing the snow your way...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
[quote]Five tunings in three hours? Wow...36 minutes/tuning. I can go pretty fast, but I couldn't do an accurate tuning in 36 minutes. Way to go!

Thanks! Practice makes perfect. Of course, it certainly helped that all but 1 of the pianos were tuned exactly 1 year ago.... smile

I can do it in 45 minutes, but I don't like to go that fast. It's just not enjoyable when I go that fast. I take about an hour. I like to tune a little, play a little...:)

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Speed is something I'm used too after doing it for over 36 years Loren. It does take its toll though. I have so many pianos to get tuned that it's either I had to learn how to tune faster accomplishing the same thing in less time or, do less work. I chose to do more work thus, also making more money.

I mentioned before that I am trying to slow it down to 3 a day now that I am 54 and I am trying but, that sure is hard to do when I have so many pianos needing tuning before the holidays.

I do have some days where I am tuning 3 or 4 and a couple when I am only doing two. I guess it evens itself out. Most of the time, I wind up having to cram something else in there too like I did Friday, 5 tunings, a concert tuning and then 2 hours fooling around with a Steinway D pedal lyre tearing it apart, fixing it and putting it back together again. That makes for a very long day sometimes.

I really do prefer not to tune pianos that quickly though, believe it or not. It's just hard not to continue tuning fast after doing it for so long if that makes any sense? I try to slow myself down but, it isn't easy.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Today was the last of a series of educational family matinees. It was kind of tough tuning, as the piano was sharp, and a string broke. Since it was focussed on the piano, I consented to talk a little about it to the audience. Then off for lunch with my computer group, which I have been meeting with for many, many years.

I am working on the Baldwin instruction sheet, for those of you who asked.

Semipro Tech
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Speed is something I'm used too after doing it for over 36 years Loren. It does take its toll though. I have so many pianos to get tuned that it's either I had to learn how to tune faster accomplishing the same thing in less time or, do less work. I chose to do more work thus, also making more money.

I mentioned before that I am trying to slow it down to 3 a day now that I am 54 and I am trying but, that sure is hard to do when I have so many pianos needing tuning before the holidays.

I do have some days where I am tuning 3 or 4 and a couple when I am only doing two. I guess it evens itself out. Most of the time, I wind up having to cram something else in there too like I did Friday, 5 tunings, a concert tuning and then 2 hours fooling around with a Steinway D pedal lyre tearing it apart, fixing it and putting it back together again. That makes for a very long day sometimes.

I really do prefer not to tune pianos that quickly though, believe it or not. It's just hard not to continue tuning fast after doing it for so long if that makes any sense? I try to slow myself down but, it isn't easy.

We're about the same age (I'm 51), but you've got ten tuning years on me. I went full time in '84, so I'm at it 26 years now. I hear you about the fatigue. I will say, the CyberHammer REALLY helped out in that regard. I can spend a week doing 30 college tunings now without these 51 year old shoulder muscles complaining! smile

I hear you about the need for speed, though. My customer database is 2600 + accounts now, so for the most part, there are few tunings where I can really just sit, relax, and tune the way I would prefer; more often than not I'm fighting the clock and there's a need to get it done quicker than I would like. Like I said, I can get it done confidently in 45 minutes if I have to; I just relish the moments when I don't have to. smile

I do understand what you mean though about work habits. We develop them and then they become ingrained. On reflecting, I too see how more often than not, I'm used to working faster than I actually have to out of habit.

What I'm grateful for is having this amount of work in today's economy. Truly a blessing, and I'm sure you feel the same way!

Good for you though, 36 years in the trade and still going strong. That speaks volumes for your character, integrity, and skill; and I mean that sincerely! smile

DiGiorgi Piano Service
P
P
I agree, that tuning fast is not what I prefer, but all too often I have to pump a tuning out fast because I have to work around a college class schedule. They have 50 minute classes and I have a window to get in and out. I have been tuning since 1970, I am now 59 and my speed has really come into play in the last 15 years or so. I get calls to go to piano sales where they have 100 pianos to tune for a sale, and I can manage 8 or 10 a day if I work at it. HOWEVER, when I am on a concert piano for a quality tuning, it behooves me to slow down and check and recheck. Speed is good in some situations, and I find that I can do a good tuning in 40 minutes or less, but that is NOT what I want to be doing. I like to talk to customers and be polite as I feel I am a guest in their house, so I take time then. But the college or store sale tunings, fasten your seatbelt and hang on, we're here to get 'em done.
Had to go fix a Janssen spinet sustain pedal. The threaded rod was almost stripped, piano gets a LOT of hard use. So I had to get parts and go back a few weeks later because of customer's time schedule. She called and said the temporary fix had failed (knew it would) and when I went back with new screws and nuts, discovered instead that it was a broken trap spring, and the temp fix had held!!. Well, robbed a spring from middle pedal and ordered 3 new ones... will replace all at once. Oh well, at least I know it will be fixed for sure this time... new screws, new springs.

Last edited by PianoTech70; 11/21/10 10:19 PM.

Robert Noble, Noble Piano Services, Mansfield, OH
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
BDB, you should post that picture in here about the string loop you showed me for some of those that are fairly new in here and haven't seen it yet. Explain in some detail just exactly how that works because I find it fascinating myself (call me slow if you like) but I could not quite picture the thing actually at work when I saw it.

Loren & Robert, (and all)

Yes, talking with clients for me, is half of the fun. I love making them laugh, just as I enjoy placing silly pictures in that O.T topic in here just to make some of you people smile.

I have a carbon fiber tuning hammer. Light and easy to use. I also have arthritis in my right shoulder from many years of tuning. I have it in my back, neck and knee's as well.

Hey, can I count count in my years of tuning, the fact that my dad got me started tuning pipe organs, holding keys for him during the summer months when I was 10 years old and that he got me started tuning pianos after school and during the summer when I was 12? That'll make me look ever better yet! grin

Agreed, slowing down for a concert tuning is desired however, unfortunately, we have so many times where we are cramped for time there as well like say, during intermission. Or for an emergency "touch up" tuning that turns out to be pretty much a full tuning that needs to be done in 30 minutes before the concert begins and the hall fills with people. I can't count the amount of times I've been called for an emergency tuning and then told people are waiting in the wings to come in...are you about finished yet (?) after I have only been tuning for 20 minutes.

One time, they said they were lined up outside and half way around the building and up the steps into the 2nd floor waiting for me to finish and this was winter time. That evening, I cleared the auditorium of security and some VERY NOISY people so I could finish it sooner and I did, in 30 minutes so they could let people in. Nobody complained about the tuning. I knew it wasn't perfect, it couldn't be. It was to badly out for that to happen and a concert tuning? Well, let's say, I worked hardest on pure unison's which is one of the most important steps in tuning besides setting the pins.

I raised my rates this past year by $20 to eliminate certain brands and so that I could possibly work smarter, not harder. I have had no complaints at all but for the price shoppers who are never happy regardless of what we were to charge. There is always someone out there willing to do it for less. 90% of the time, their quality also suffers. They can have it.

Yes, you are right, those of us that are busy as a beaver are truly blessed alright. It is our integrity, honesty, timeliness, ethics and quality that keep us going strong over much of the competition I spoke of in my last paragraph. Even though they may charge 50% less of what I charge, they are still only booked a day if they are lucky.

Tomorrow, will be one of those days for me again. I have a 9 AM tuning, a Petrof grand in a home. I have to drop my son off to a church to tune a lovely Kimblah 6' something grand that likes to break bass wires. While he does that, I have to go and tune a new client, in another home. She has a Bosendorfer 7'4" I think she said. She was referred to me by 2 people out there. They live a good 40 minutes from my house. From there, I have to go back to the church, check out the piano my son tuned, fix the notes that are "almost right but not quite" and then out for a fast lunch. Then, I have another home piano a Wurlitzer spinet, to tune after which, at 4 PM, I have two Kawai grand's an RX- 3 and a RX -6 if I remember right. It will be a long day however, I am also charging $20 more per tuning than my regular fee to cover the long distance I will have to travel tomorrow.

Without my son tuning at least two of these pianos tomorrow saving me probably an hour or two (I hope), I would not be able to complete that particular day. I'd be in total pain and misery by day's end from the stress of being on time, getting it done, doing a good job, the concentration and final end result. I am not really looking forward to it to be honest with you.....

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
BDB Offline
B
Well, I did the Baldwin thing for today, that will have to suffice. I will try to put together better instructions for making the loops, but it may take a few days.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wonderful BDB, thanks!!!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Jerry,

Early morning for me tomorrow, too. I need to be case-open at 8:00 AM at a convent for two tunings. I have a total of 5 to do tomorrow.

Yeah, colleges....the pre-semester tunings in August are always pretty easy since no one is in the building. There are no classes to work around, etc., so I can go at an efficient, but comfortable pace without having to worry about a class come in just as I'm starting the treble break!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Les Koltvedt
Laced a couple of bass strings on a church Yamaha C3 today.

Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

Sorrrrry Dan, but Jer, RPD and I are ganging up on ya this year and forcing the snow your way...

Yeah...that was the three of us Saturday night with our Druid cloaks standing on top of that hill, intoning and incanting in your general direction. Hope you understand.

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
P
P
Boy do I understand that emergency tuning in ten minutes thing. We had Neilson and Young piano duo at the college and the college brought in a Steinway 9' to match to the Baldwin 9' and they had to be tuned together 5 times in 3 days. Then the last evening they were there they had a big concert and I had to go out at intermission an brush up some notes, in front of how many noisy people standing talking. Felt like I should have been wearing a tux too... but the duo remarked to me before I left how nicely the pianos were tuned and thanked me for my efforts and time. Made me feel great. They could have been like so many others who think of our job as slave labor for the elite. Instead, I left feeling really proud of my work.
In my opinion, the most valuable tool I own is my integrity and honesty. Nothing can substitute for being the best you can as a person, doing the best you can as a tuner, and standing by your reputation to make sure things are right.
My apprentices help me a lot too, like your son does, Jerry. So often, they can be put on a job and get the most of it done and I just go back and in the gentle spirit of teaching, correct the problems and make it right, while helping them know they are doing good. Great teaching opportunities!
I use a craftsman lever, have for years, because of the lightness of the tool, I have others of course, but like that best. I never change the head, as I find the setup I use works in all situations so far. I do use a very short stubby hammer for grands, one of the AMS brand mini extention hammers... like the Schaaf mini. Don't even know if they still carry them, I think maybe not. This small hammer is not much bigger than my fist, but works great for grands for me. Most tuners I know think I am nuts for doing it that way, but hey, if it works, why not. I have an entire tuning kit, mutes, mini hammer, screwdriver, quartz tuner and all in a canvas bag that is maybe 8" long and as big around as a coffee cup. I like to watch people's eyes when I do a quick concert touch up and I unload this thing to do the job. They wonder where my tool bag is and I say "it is right here". After all, the tuner's number one tool kit is himself!

Robert Noble, Noble Piano Services, Mansfield, OH
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Strung bass strings in 2 more pianos today, two in a U1 and one in a S&S O. Then came home and practiced tuning on my old S&S V

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Steinway grand, Kimball grand, Baldwin grand, Story & Clark (made by Yamaha) grand, and an old Gordon upright. Nice day!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Got my day completed. Drove 109 miles too. First appointment, nobody home. 15 minutes later, here comes the owner. Then, I tuned a Petrof grand.

Get this! When I went to put my shoes back on, one shoe was missing!! I said to my son, is it just me, or, is one of my shoes gone? They were amongst many other pairs of shoes there. He said, it's gone dad. They have no animals so, it couldn't have been that. I saw one of his shoes setting there and got to thinking. naaaaaaaaaaawww, he didn't??? I thought he took one of my shoes and one of his. We decided to venture into his bedroom on a whim because my son said he saw him walking into the bedroom carrying something. I'll be danged if we didn't find MY shoe in his bedroom closet!!! Now, there's a first! A shoe thief! smile

Went to the church next. Doors locked. Pastor not home. Sat in the car wondering, now what? Is this the way the day is going to be? 15 minutes later, someone happens to walk into the pastor's house so, I hollered HEY!!!!!! They looked and I got into the church. I set my son up in the church to tune the Kimblah 6' grand.

Next, I went and tuned a 7'5" Bosendorfer, sweet piano. She hadn't had it tuned since 2004 and it was still at A/442. Returned to the church, finished tuning the piano my son started. Went to lunch then right back to the church to tune the pastor's piano. Let my son tune part of it while I watched and then took over to get it done. Had 45 minutes to kill after that before I could get at the 2 pianos in the school at 4 PM.

The choir piano was a Yamaha C-3. I have given them an estimate to replace hammers, shanks, flanges, regulation and much more, the hammers were shot. Flat as pancakes. The school, deemed it "necessary" to "bid out" to another "tooner" for a lower bid. Of course, this jackass was about 1/2 my price and so they took it. And, of course, they are very unhappy with the piano and rightly so. The hammers are still flat, they are bumpy all over the place including the strike point. The regulation is way off, so far so that it has no after touch let alone let off. The let off is hitting the strings. Dampers are sticking like mad. The guide rail bushings need to be replaced. They are all gummed up. The pedal lyre is coming unglued. Took out the action, removed a bunch of crap and dirt. Fixed the pedal lyre, the pedal support rods were completely out of place. Lubricated (Proteked) the damper guide rail bushings for a quick fix for now.

Then, let my son tune that piano while I tuned the stage piano which was a Kawai Rx-6. Returned after that and finished tuning the Yamaha.

Boy, that was worth while for them to go with the lowest bidder wasn't it? Now it's going to cost them even more yet to fix what this jackass screwed up. Boy, I sure do wish people would realize that bidding work out to the lowest bidder is not all it is cracked up to be when it comes to piano tuning and repairing.

It's one thing to price shop when looking for a product. It's a completely different ball game when you start price shopping for someone's service and for quality.

There, I'm done ranting for now...

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Taking the week off (except for phone calls). I'm hangin' with my 10 year old son, cleaning house, and enjoying my latest time-sink, on-line chess....I warn you, don't get started!

One job this week, a M and H B (not a BB, but a 5-something grand with a big sound). Other than that, it's pretty kicked back. The first time I've ever taken this week off, and it feels good!

I'll pay for this next week...

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Had 45 minutes to kill after that before I could get at the 2 pianos in the school at 4 PM.

Now Jerry, instead of killing time, you could have tuned 2 more pianos in that slot! crazy

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tuned a Yamaha C3, man is that thing bright... almost hurts the ears.

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Jerry, you killed time?? :p

Let's see...today I started with a newer small Hobart M. Cable grand in a church, then a Charles Walter vertical in another church. From there, went to a Steinway O and did reshaping/voicing, vacuuming, soundboard cleaning, some light regulating, and tuned. That was a nice job and I was quite pleased with the end result. From there, went to another home and found an old stencil grand with tuning pins too loose to hold; scheduled the repair work for that one after Christmas.

And finally, (drum roll please), lowered a nice fairly new Baldwin L to A435. All in a day's work!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
Page 50 of 106 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission