2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 40 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 39 40
F
F
I've heard through various stores in my town that the central Roland hub for northern europe is in Denmark. And they get them around the 20th of november. Local retailers a little after that I expect.

RD-700NX (25 nov 2010)
G
G
Got it from Sweetwater.

Greg
Roland RD700NX, KS-G8 Stand, RPU-3 Pedals
Mackie MR5 Speakers
May You Be In Heaven A Half Hour Before The Devil Knows You're Dead...
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis
Got it from Sweetwater.

Same here. Should probably give my salesperson a call and see if there are any definitive dates yet...

Roland FP-90X, Kronos2-61
T
T
The RD700-NX previewed in Sound on sound december issue: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec10/articles/roland-rd700nx.htm

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tuxic
The RD700-NX previewed in Sound on sound december issue: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec10/articles/roland-rd700nx.htm

Could anyone who's read it relate the gist of what's in there?

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
OK, sucker born every minute, I paid for the PDF and just read it. Only 7 pages, the last page is a full page ad for SOS, and what you can see in the free preview is the first ~1.5 pages.

He loves the first AP voice and says it is up there with Ivory II! But then he says the Nord Stage EX pianos are possibly better, which is confusing.

You have to turn it off to insert / remove the USB thumb drive, blea.

Here's the killer: he says you can't record the audio while playing back a MIDI file on it. OMG!

[edit] OK, maybe I got that last part wrong, the wording is rather vague. He might instead be saying you can't record your playing to a MIDI file. Either way, if you can't Play => MIDI => WAV, I'm not sure this is the DP for us. Quite disappointing.

[edit 2] I just scoured the NX manual and it seems there is no MIDI file recorder in there, just a MIDI file player. You may be able to do MIDI => WAV, but you can't do Play => MIDI.

Last edited by dewster; 11/20/10 12:26 PM.
F
F
** Still works with midi out -> sequencer I pressume. Confusing article seems rushed really (the little I read).

RD-700NX (25 nov 2010)
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FredFabulous
** Still works with midi out -> sequencer I pressume.

Oh sure, but then you need a PC near the DP, something I was sincerely hoping to avoid. If I'm going to need a PC to record it, I might as well leave it there and run Ivory or Pianoteq. What on earth are DP manufacturers bringing to the table these days that I can't get elsewhere cheaper and infinitely better?

Originally Posted by FredFabulous
Confusing article seems rushed really (the little I read).

I agree. I would guess 90% press release, 10% personal experience. Not really worth my $1.50.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dewster did the article mention anything in the way of the action and how it feels? Lately I've been really pushing my GXF hard, and have noticed some sluggishness in the action. Is this something the NX with its PHA III action will benefit resolve since it has the third sensor?

On a side note, I had my buddy (and piano teacher) Joe Davidian, who is an amazing jazz piano player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_QxjjZBI0 comment on how great of a sound the RD700GXF had. And to sit back and listen to someone his caliber play it, I fell in love with the SuperNATURAL piano sound all of again. I had the NX on order, but canceled it because I wanted to wait to play one to make sure that the $2500 was worth it. If the action and AP sounds are a noticeable step up from my GXF, I may make the leap.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoZac
Dewster did the article mention anything in the way of the action and how it feels? Lately I've been really pushing my GXF hard, and have noticed some sluggishness in the action. Is this something the NX with its PHA III action will benefit resolve since it has the third sensor?

He said he could could only feel the escapement when playing lightly, which he thinks is correct. He also said the white keys are more textured than the black (which is no surprise: fake ivory vs. fake ebony) but he says there is more friction on them because of it, though that isn't a problem.

Nothing I could find about playability or quick replay. The article is disappointingly short.

Perhaps you could seek out another Roland with PHAIII on it? I'd be interested in your take on the differences.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

On a side note, I had my buddy (and piano teacher) Joe Davidian, who is an amazing jazz piano player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_QxjjZBI0 comment on how great of a sound the RD700GXF had..

Very nice player, I was checking out some of his other vids. The trio sounds good too. Jarrett influenced among others, young guy too. Excellent. thumb

Good to see there's a little scene going in a place known more for another thing. thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
Perhaps you could seek out another Roland with PHAIII on it? I'd be interested in your take on the differences.
Definitely. I've played extensively on the V-Piano, and I really can't pinpoint it, but the connection between the action and sound is much better than my GXF, so I'm wondering if I'll be as impressed with the NX. Unfortunately I haven't read many who own/played the RD700GXF and have played many PHA III Ivory Feel actions. Those who've played the standard GX and played say the HP-307 didn't seem that impressed and felt that the actions on the HP-307 isn't the same PHA III on the V-Piano. What is it with the V-Piano??? When the NX hits the local show rooms, I'll be there playing it, and I'll report in.
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

On a side note, I had my buddy (and piano teacher) Joe Davidian, who is an amazing jazz piano player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_QxjjZBI0 comment on how great of a sound the RD700GXF had..

Very nice player, I was checking out some of his other vids. The trio sounds good too. Jarrett influenced among others, young guy too. Excellent. thumb

Good to see there's a little scene going in a place known more for another thing. thumb

Thanks Dave. He's a talented guy. I think he's 30 now. We've got a decent little jazz scene here, and a great Jazz Workshop www.nashvillejazz.org which is a gold mine for us jazz players here in town.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
What is it with the V-Piano???

Maybe it's that crazy dedicated adaptive keyboard processor Roland put in there. The concept always spooked me a bit (who wants the response shifting around without explicitly changing settings?) but according to you (and many others) they apparently nailed it.

When the NX hits the local show rooms, I'll be there playing it, and I'll report in.

I look forward to your reactions!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I've owned V-Piano, HP-307 and RD-700GX(F)...

PHA-III is what it is. I'm bored of the conspiracy theorists that seem to think Roland are fitting different actions in each of the pianos but calling them all PHA-III. Get real folks and think about the world of (relatively) mass production. PHA-III is PHA-III, simple as that.

I liked PHA-II with ivory and escapement. I think it is a very nice action...subjectively to me just as nice as PHA-III. But, PHA-III is quicker, no doubt about it. Whether it is mechanically quicker or just electronically quicker (the third sensor) I don't know but it will play repeated notes like lightning. And the feel of all actions is strongly influenced by the chassis/structure they are fitted into. HP-307 is conventional console DP construction, RD is metal and plastic stage piano, V-Piano is mainly metal and weighs a ton etc.

Zac, if you feel that the connection between (PHA-III) action and sound is better on the V-Piano than HP-307 then welcome to the club. The connection between player and sound is better on the V-Piano than ANY other DP...in this respect the V is uncannily good and very piano-like. That is why pro musicians who just want to play tend to gravitate towards the V-Piano...they don't over-think it like us DP anoraks, they just revel in the organic and satisfying connection they make with the instrument. But this is the result of the V-Piano's radically different tone generation and is nothing to do with it having a different PHA-III keyboard.

All we can do is wait to see if the NX will have different tones to the GX(F) and/or HP-307....but it won't be a V-Piano. For those interested in a DP's sonic fidelity to a real piano, SN is a better bet than the V-Piano...whilst I will always praise the V's playability (and I miss this very much), I could never live with the way it sounds again.

Cheers,

Steve

Someone on Rolandclan claims to have received his... anyone see any movement on theirs? Tired of waiting frown

G
G
My Sweetwater contact says they will be in early rhis week & shipped out immediately.

Greg
Mackie MR5 Speakers
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Was just over reading Rolandclan forums and one of their users who owned an RD700GXF got a chance to play the RD700NX and said he sold his GXF and is replacing it with the NX. I canceled my order for the RD700NX with Sweetwater before, but just talked to my contact there and he was offering me the NX at $2399 (they're now at $2599), obviously free shipping, plus if I don't like it, or don't feel it's worth the upgrade, I can send it back at their cost after 30 days. Sounds like a win/win. I may go ahead and re-order it. He said they are getting 28 RD700NX's in by the end of November, and have sold 12. What to do, what to do!!?? Will go nicely with my RPU-3 that's on the way as well. wink

Originally Posted by Greg Curtis
My Sweetwater contact says they will be in early rhis week & shipped out immediately.

That's promising.... hoping it will be today like these guys: http://www.gearnuts.com/store/detail/RD700NX

EDIT: Yay! Sweetwater says In Stock too laugh

G
G
Just got an email from Sweetwater. The NX has arrived in stock.
Whoopee! My salesman from Sweetwater just called me & said it would be shipped out today & probably be here Friday.

Last edited by Greg Curtis; 11/23/10 01:58 PM.

Greg
Mackie MR5 Speakers
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the RD700NX, and give as comprehensible of a review between it and the RD700GXF I currently have and report in here. If the NX isn't enough of an improvement over my GXF, I'll send it back to Sweetwater at no charge to me (within 30 days). I may be only guy on here who will have both GXF and NX temporarily to compare the two. I'll be comparing action and sound, particularly the SuperNATURAL sound engine of the NX vs the upgrade SuperNATURAL card of the GXF. Also I'm gonna play some demanding classical stuff and run some fast bebop licks to test the speed of the action. I'll test the sound focus feature, as well as mess with the EPs. I don't really care about MIDI recording capabilities. That's not really why I'm buying a stage piano. It's mostly for the most authentic piano/EP (if even possible) experience in a portable unit. If I can, I'll upload a photo of the two keyboards. Stay tuned!

Page 20 of 40 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission