Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Piano Tuning
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (AprilE, Agent88, ando, anotherscott, Almaviva, accordeur, 17 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1562166 - 11/22/10 05:29 AM Is learning classed as high stress?  
noahandgabrielsdad Offline
noahandgabrielsdad  Offline

Sandbach, Cheshire, England
confusedHi all.
I have been told to keep my stress and anxiety levels as low as possible as I am a quite nervy and excitable person.
Has anyone got any helpful advice on how to practice and play reasonably calmly as I tend to be quite impatient and hard on myself even when I know my self taught piano playing is improving at a slow but very pleasing rate?
Great forum by the way.
Thanks

I may not play very well, but my heart is there!!!!!!
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1562187 - 11/22/10 07:50 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]  
tnew Offline
tnew  Offline

Austria
I can relate to being excitable and nervy, as I have nervous problems myself. I don't know much about these things, but I wouldn't think learning is so stressful itself. But what I do figure is that stress will affect your ability to learn. Getting the stress under control can only help your playing.

Everybody has different methods of dealing with stress. Sometimes learning itself is a method. Maybe there is something else that is the source of the stress. Maybe you are not tuning out all other problems when you sit down and play.

About tuning out: I have always had trouble tuning out when I should, such as when I am trying to sleep, read, or even when learning. I went to a spa once. They had a meditation room with a wierd lounge chair that warms up, vibrates, and plays funky music while glowing a dim bluish light. I never thought much about meditation, but for the half hour I sat there, I effectively, and accidentally, tuned out completely. I literally had nothing on my mind. I don't know how one achieves that on purpose, but I can tell you it was the most refreshing experience I ever had, and I felt so much more energetic and mentally sharp following that. So I figure there is a health value in 'tuning out'. If you can find a way to do that...meditation, yoga, exercise, whatever works for you...you will probably notice a significant decrease in your stress and feel more relaxed when playing.

Last edited by tnew; 11/22/10 07:53 AM.
#1562191 - 11/22/10 08:05 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]  
PianoMath Offline
PianoMath  Offline

I usually go make some sex.

#1562341 - 11/22/10 02:10 PM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]  
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ten left thumbs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Scotland
Exercise generally is very good for stress. Playing music, especially something fairly easy for you skill level (whatever that is) will also be good.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1562358 - 11/22/10 02:30 PM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]  
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member
david_a  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by noahandgabrielsdad
confusedHi all.
I have been told to keep my stress and anxiety levels as low as possible as I am a quite nervy and excitable person.
Has anyone got any helpful advice on how to practice and play reasonably calmly as I tend to be quite impatient and hard on myself even when I know my self taught piano playing is improving at a slow but very pleasing rate?
Great forum by the way.
Thanks
If you practice by "attack-type" methods, then you will get your (un-stated) wish, and be plunged into battle. If you practice slowly, through curiosity and calmly figuring things out, you will get more done than you used to, and have less stress. For people who are used to "attack practice", it can be extremely hard to believe that methodical, curious practice is getting any work done, because they aren't getting those familiar feelings of their mind and body rebelling against mistreatment, which they associate with "work" - when in fact those feelings are just so much wasted energy and wear & tear on the body. Ninety percent of piano practice goes better without a mad adrenaline rush. Indeed there are times when getting excited is probably necessary & helpful - but not all the time.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
#1562373 - 11/22/10 03:02 PM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]  
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Plowboy  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

SoCal
What david_a wrote is spot on. Piano practice is enjoyable and a stress reliever.

Or it should be.

Gary
Essex EUP-111 at the mountains
W. Hoffmann T-122 at the beach
#1562471 - 11/22/10 05:47 PM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]  
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
david a,

++++1 amen.

Here's the picture:

1 hour spent on two measures with a tricky rhythm, frustration and anxiety level heading skyward as I barrel through it repeat, repeat, repeat, never quite right twice. Pause, deep breath, question: what the heck am I doing here?

5 minutes quietly contemplating, not touching the keys. Evaluating the essence of the problem. 2 more minutes thinking of a little exercise that brings out the problem. 5 minutes calmly doing the little exercise.

Calmly play two troublesome measures as though there's no problem at all.

(slaps self upside the head: hey! try to remember that before you waste the hour next time.)

Tarantella, Pieczonka
Sonatine, No.2 Menuet - MRavel

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1562669 - 11/23/10 01:36 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]  
SoundThumb Offline
SoundThumb  Offline

San Diego, CA
JimF,
That was great. I think I'll have your post framed and hang it next to my piano.
Thanks.

-SoundThumb

#1562678 - 11/23/10 02:13 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: tnew]  
Dror Perl Offline
Dror Perl  Offline

NY
David & JimF I can not agree more... smile

Its all about the attitude that you bring with you to your playing/practice.

If you make sure that you're in the right mental state before touching the keys, or focus on that aspect from the moment you start playing, your playing would be more relaxed and you'll probably enjoy more and achieve more.

Take a look at Kenny Werner's book...Effortless Mastery, it comes with a CD that has a few meditations and I think it can be great...for you

Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

#1562694 - 11/23/10 03:00 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]  
chopin_r_us Offline
2000 Post Club Member
chopin_r_us  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

London
Some beautiful comments, sometimes anxiety resides much deeper down though.

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thomas Bailey
by ClsscLib. 10/17/17 09:46 PM
Good Gig Bag for Roland RD700NX?
by ClsscLib. 10/17/17 09:26 PM
What piano brands that use high-quality actions.
by JDRPiano. 10/17/17 09:17 PM
Getting better at memorizing
by rov. 10/17/17 07:08 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,353
Posts2,665,374
Members88,989
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission