2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
A
I am getting my teacher a wonderful journal (from Barnes and Nobles) leather-bound, decorated with musical notes (made in Italy). It's a very nice journal for him to write thoughts in or to keep schedules of students. I'd noticed that he didn't have a computer (he's old, lol) and used lined paper to keep track of students' lessons and fees...so I figured this could be a good gift for him. It's actually a very very nice journal, cost about $35. Haha, I actually got one for myself too.

T
T
I know that what my teacher would appreciate most is cash. He and his wife have a new baby, and any of us who are parents know how expensive that is! I'm wondering what an appropriate amount is. For those of you who are or teach adult students, what is a "usual" amount-- relative to a lesson fee? I was thinking maybe the cost of 2 lessons?

For my son's piano teacher, I was thinking of having my son make him something personal (small and disposable so as not to clutter the studio). He is semi-retired, his lesson fees are already high for our area, and I just don't feel like cash is the appropriate way to go for him.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I'd feel really funny if any of my students gave me cash. I agree that the things I really cherish are the cards.
It isn't too hard to find out if your teacher likes wine or chocolate - and gift certificates for a book shop - or a music shop! - are always appreciated.

I also liked the idea of the recording of your work to date, or the tickets to RENT.

Things that are useful - note pads, diaries, calendars - are great. Knicknacks are not.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
W
Personally, I don't have time for Rent, or the inclination. IMO that's a riskier proposition than wine or chocolate. A $50 bottle of wine? Now we're talking wink

M
OP Offline
M
I thought of wine, but I'm not sure if she drinks or not, and I'm not sure how to ask. How does everyone else feel about "Rent" tickets?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MrHazelton
I thought of wine, but I'm not sure if she drinks or not, and I'm not sure how to ask. How does everyone else feel about "Rent" tickets?

I was driven from someone's house recently because the person in the next room was playing rather obnoxious* music, non-quietly. It went on and on and on... until I went and asked "what is that music you have playing?" answer "Rent, the musical". "It sounds like fun music" I said (happy that I didn't actually lie). Some people are allergic to musicals, but with no visible symptoms. It's not worth the risk.

But one of the posh-est presents I ever received (a farewell) was when parent said that they were planning to go to "-" opera, would I like to come as her guest? Yes please!!! So just ask first if you want to give something like this, it could save embarrassment.

*IMO!!

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I occasionally (every couple of years) include a CD of music I've done on my own or improved on since we finished working on it. Last year however, it took my teacher 3 months before he actually listened to it so now I'm thinking that it was more like 'work' for him. He did say he thought it was really, really, good and the first time I did it he said he was very flattered that I was ambitious and cared enough to record..but I don't think I'll give him another one anytime soon - it feels 'sillly' now for some reason. I usually give a wall calendar and a good bottle of wine with a very nice hand-written thank you note. Last year I gave him a book that I knew he liked. I remember wondering if it was too 'personal' but he really appreciated it and I would do it again if there was a title I knew he wanted.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
W
W
I wouldn't be too keen on getting a cd of my student's playing as a gift. I care about my students and I would listen to a cd that they gave me, but it would indeed be work- it would be my gift to them.

No matter what you give, the gesture will be appreciated smile Gift certificates at a book store or record store are always good.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How about a gift certificate to the local theater, with a printout of the ad for Rent? That way, if she doesn't like that play, she can always use it for another one.

As for wine, I just asked my teacher if he and his wife liked wine before I bought any for them.

I once got him one of those Circle of Fifths clocks that's advertised on this site as a house-warming gift. (That was just after he started teaching me about the circle of fifths.) I was a little worried about that one, but he'd never seen one before and seemed really pleased with it and said he'd put it in his home studio.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
This thread isn't too old, is it ok if I revive it?

Last year I gave my teacher Ferraro?? Roche? The chocolates wrapped in gold foil. ThenI logged on to the PW teacher's forum and several people had written "whatever you do, don't give those awful Ferrare Roche's" cry

This year I went to Macy's, but the only thing I could find (that won't break the bank) were Godiva chocolates, so I got those.

I was hoping for something more inspired... I gave her a gift from Japan (where I used to live) this summer, and she seemed to really like that. But right now, I can't do too much shopping and can't think of anything interesting! maybe I should have considered the stationary/diary/calendar route??

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts to add to the ideas in this thread so far, please do!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this earlier in the thread, but this year I got my teacher a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant, and I did a similar thing last year. She really seems to enjoy that - and I make sure it's enough so that she can bring someone along if she wants to.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I thought about the gift certificate to a restaurant thing, but I can't quite afford what it would need to be to be dinner for two. frown

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi ShiroKuro...

One year I got my teacher personalized pencils! I can't remember the name of the website, but I think alot of teachers use it for small toys/gifts... it was one of the few places where you could buy just a single box or two of the pencils (rather than buying 500 pencils!)

They had different colors to choose from, I did plain black with gold letters (classy looking!) - his name, and "Piano is fun" to give to his students wink He seemed to like them.

I've also done Amazon gift cards and baked goodies.

re: The restaurant... does it really have to cover the cost of 2 dinners? I mean, if it's going to cost $200, and you give $20, obviously they may not be able to use that... but if it's going to cost $40 and you give $20, it's still helping out, isn't it?

wink Not that I'm advocating gift cards for cheap restaurants!

Do you know any of your teachers other students? Maybe you could pool resources if you wanted to do something a little more pricey?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I know this has been said before, but a handwritten note on a card that says thanks for showing me how to make music is absolutely the most precious thing.

Those I treasure more than anything.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sarah_elizabeth
but this year I got my teacher a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant

It's not even my favorite place to eat, but every year--without fail--I manage to get several of these "gift cards" to the same location.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
R
R
My favorite present of all time: My student Connor who was about 9, was sitting outside my room looking embaressed and his sister was giggling at him and teasing him. He handed me a batch of home made shortbread cookies of all different shapes, and decrated with icing (obviously by him). I really loved it and though I should thank his mum. His mum told me it was all his idea and he made, decrated and wrapped them himself! It was very touching.

I also really love cards, pictures, drawings from students AND I love Christmas decorations! One student got me a beautiful carved angel and I really treasure it.

I recieve ALOT of ferra rocher chocolates... and I hate them frown

Rebecca.
Private Piano Teacher, Conservatorium Recorder teacher, Primary School Band Method Teacher
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yeah, I won't be giving ferra rocher chocolates this year. Maybe next year I can get something that's interesting and not edible!

P.S. RSByrne, I used to teach English in elementary school in Japan, and the presents that little people give are so often touhing and sweet! I have many fond memories of being caught off guard with something some little person thought to make for me. smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
I hope my son's teacher like a crystal piano music box.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RSByrne
I also really love cards, pictures, drawings from students
Somehow I don't think my piano teacher would be so charmed by a drawing from me. laugh

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
R
R
You never know wink A couple of my older teenage students drew me some pictures and colouring in as a bit of a joke, but to their suprise I put them up on my wall like all the rest of them! smile

Rebecca.
Private Piano Teacher, Conservatorium Recorder teacher, Primary School Band Method Teacher
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission