2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I just got the Narada Easy Piano book in the mail today yippie.
Has anyone played the David Lanz "Return to the Heart" arrangement in this collection?

The reason I ask is that the beginning sounds a bit odd to me, at least when I compare it to the actual harder piece (Lanz recording). If I am not wrong,the first bass notes are written an octave lower than I hear them.

Perhaps this is done to give the simplified version a richer sound? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Christine

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You probably answered your own question. If it's an easy arrangement book, you're not going to get the same version of the piece that's on the CD.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
New music ....oh boy! Isn't it fun? I can't believe how much sheet music I've collected in less than a year! - How high is your "stack"?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
MUCH MUCH MUCH too high, especially in light of how much of it I have actually played. blush

Christine

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
You probably answered your own question. If it's an easy arrangement book, you're not going to get the same version of the piece that's on the CD.

I totally understood this upon ordering the book. However, I would really like to know why this difference might exist. If they are the same notes played in each version, why would one be one octave lower? I thought that there might be an answer related to music theory that would help me understand.
The beginning of this piece is quite simple, all of the examples I have watched on youtube are the more complex version, but all have the introductory bass notes one octave higher than my music suggests.

Last edited by GlassLove; 11/16/10 08:12 PM.

Christine

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
GL - I have this Narada New Age Easy Piano Sampler also and recorded and submitted "Return to the Heart" to an ABF Recital a couple of Recitals ago...

I didn't remember this immediately but when I pulled out the book and opened it to that page the first thing I noticed about the bass staff music was my bold yellow highlighting of the treble or G clef at the very beginning of the piece, which holds thru the 1st 11 measures. This occurs again at measure 57 on the 3rd page and continues thru measure 64.

You'll probably slap yourself on the forehead for missing this (or kick yourself in a lower region) but it's so easy to miss this, especially after playing x number of pieces without this very rare modification. I'm not sure at this point whether I noticed it at first or not.

But, I think this will go a long way towards explaining the apparent difference in sound (which is actually more than just 1 octave, e.g., the 2 note chord in measure 1 is actually the D & G just above middle C, but if you play them as if the bass clef was in effect they would be the 2nd F & B below middle C).

Hope this helps - and good luck with this beautiful piece.

JF

I also worked on and recommend "Leaves on the Seine" and "Girl from Barcelona" from this collection.

Last edited by John Frank; 11/17/10 08:10 AM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ahhh....you are awesome John, thank you so much. And yes, I feel like a real goof!!! crazy But a happy goof as the problem is now solved and I can continue on with the piece properly. I thought the F & B (first notes in what I was reading as bass clef) sounded really ugly too, but unfortunately, even that did not prompt my noticing the treble clef sign.
Yes, I love Leaves on the Seine and Girl from Barcelona. I also love Sunshine Canyon. I couldn't manage to find recordings of a few of the pieces in the collection, but it is my intention to play them all.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Christine

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GlassLove
Ahhh....you are awesome John, thank you so much.

That makes two of us who think that... laugh And you're welcome - glad I could help.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission