2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1557606 11/14/10 04:11 PM
K
KurtZ Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K
Hi,

Is there an advantage to playing the tonic note at the top of a scale a second time before going back down?

Just curious about this. I tend to do it both ways depending on the day and wondered if there's an advantage to one way or the other. My teacher has never expressed a preference.

Kurt

Last edited by KurtZ; 11/14/10 04:15 PM. Reason: missed an apostrophe

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Sure, each way can have its benefits. I think most pianists practice scales without repeating the top note, because on the piano it's clumsy and inconvenient to replay that note. On some other instruments, the custom is the opposite, because on THOSE instruments it's clumsy and inconvenient if you DON'T.

It would be easy to create sophisticated rationalizations for this, but I think the convenience factor is the truth, and everything else just made-up stories.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
David, I don't know about sophisticated rationalizations, but I always thought it had to do with rhythm. When playing 16th notes, repeating the top note just isn't very smooth. There are 7 groups of 4 going up, and again, 7 groups of 4 coming down. Adding an extra top note would royally screw up the rhythm, don't you feel?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The rhythm of repeating the top note works fine for violinists all over the world. It's just fingering convenience/bowing convenience/whatever.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I wasn't aware that violinists did that. I never did. Well I did for one octave scales, but don't recall doing it for higher octaves. Now I'll have to pull out my Galamian tapes and check it out. Perhaps we extended the top note to fill out the beat.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I wasn't aware that violinists did that. I never did. Well I did for one octave scales, but don't recall doing it for higher octaves. Now I'll have to pull out my Galamian tapes and check it out. Perhaps we extended the top note to fill out the beat.

In the RCM technical book, as of gr. 6 the top note isn't repeated, and that is when 3 octave scales start. The way they pull it off in groups of four involves the way it starts. for G major: GBAG.... or G (quarter) AB ... (eight), or GAGABC.....

Last edited by keystring; 11/14/10 08:10 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Perhaps my violin scales experience has been limited to the one-octave variety. I play a mean Happy Farmer. Mean, as in approximate. smile

In any case, it would be very easy to re-jig the rhythm of scales to just about anything we like, on either instrument.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
When I was doing 3-octave scales (violin & viola) they were grouped in 3s (the requirement for the exams I did), which meant the top note was neither repeated nor elongated.

Du holde Kunst...
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
There is a fingering rule that says always play repeated notes with a change of finger.

If you apply that rule to the scale (and yes, there are people who think scales teach fingering) then I think you will get some interesting results.

Personally I like doing them turning around, with one longer note at the bottom. First note is a quarter, then eighths up and back down to the tonic and up to re which is a quarter, then up and down on eighths, etc. Like the wind instruments do. Takes you through all the modes.

gotta go practice
Originally Posted by TimR

Personally I like doing them turning around, with one longer note at the bottom. First note is a quarter, then eighths up and back down to the tonic and up to re which is a quarter, then up and down on eighths, etc. Like the wind instruments do. Takes you through all the modes.

Cool! I have to try this! cool

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by TimR

Cool! I have to try this! cool

That's straight out of the Arbans.

gotta go practice

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission