2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Kaldanis #1554928 11/10/10 02:14 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Kaldanis

The only problem I noticed was that one of the keys made a 'clicking' noise when released, but it's probably just that display model.

None of the keys on my CN33 make a clicking noise.

The song list is here.

I did notice that when I connect a laptop's audio out to the line in, in order to merge a software piano sound with the CN33 internal sounds, there is a hum. Someone mentioned a Behringer hum destroyer as the solution. In the end I no longer do this anyway, as much like the CA63 settings thread I found a really good sound by overlaying proportions of two different internal piano sounds.

I don't have any other issues with my CN33.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 11/10/10 02:15 PM.
U
U
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
None of the keys on my CN33 make a clicking noise.

I have also no clicking noise on our CN33.

I did notice that when I connect a laptop's audio out to the line in, in order to merge a software piano sound with the CN33 internal sounds, there is a hum. Someone mentioned a Behringer hum destroyer as the solution.

Probably that was me. I bought and mentioned a Behringer hum destroyer as solution to that problem.

In the end I no longer do this anyway,

Same here. I stopped using software pianos completely. To much hassle for no real improvement. And the touch with the internal sound is still the best. I don't like the lag of software pianos.

as much like the CA63 settings thread I found a really good sound by overlaying proportions of two different internal piano sounds.

Can you tell us, what pianos are you overlaying and how is your slider setting? I usually use either Concert Grand 1 or Mellow Grand 1 alone.

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
hannibal2 #1554973 11/10/10 03:45 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Hi Mawima

Following mucci's lead on the CA63 I played around with Pianoteq. I don't like the sound of Pianoteq alone - any of the 4 groups of pianos, but I was able to get a sound I liked from K1 close mic (AFAIR) with some modified hammer, eq, velocity, others, mixed on top of the CN33 Mellow Grand 1. I didn't have a problem with delay but set the buffer setting quite low, and have a decent laptop. I ended up with a sound I quite liked, but also especially the extra resonances it provided.

I was about to purchase a hum destroyer, but experimented a bit more with using the CN33 internal sounds overlay. One sound that was similar to the Pianoteq overlay was Mellow Grand1, Concert Grand 2, (3-1) about 70-30%. It doesn't beat the Pianoteq resonances though. Of course your taste will be different from mine and I'm sure your tone discrimination is better.

As you say the software piano is too much hassle for not so much improvement, except the resonances. I could also get better pp control, but I was cheating with the velocity adjustment on Pianoteq, and am improving that area of my playing as I learn.

hannibal2 #1555371 11/11/10 04:49 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

What's a hum destroyer?

Did your elimination of the ho hum sound on the CN33 through use of pianoteq precipitate your need for this hum destroyer?

theJourney #1555373 11/11/10 04:57 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney

What's a hum destroyer?

There is no such thing as a device that can destroy hum without modifying the sound.

"Hum destroyer" is Behringers marketing blurb.

Technically it is an isolation transformer and it does not destroy hum, it prevents hum.

Bad advertising but good and affordable product....

Peter

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

hannibal2 #1555380 11/11/10 05:35 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Here is a picture of a real cheap one from Amazon ($5.99):

[Linked Image]

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-GGLI2-Gro...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1289468032&sr=1-9

I also have a similar one for my Netbook connection to the DP, and it eliminates any hum very efficently!

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
theJourney #1555387 11/11/10 05:56 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
...ho hum sound on the CN33...

Please stop trolling.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Kawai James #1555391 11/11/10 06:17 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Please stop trolling.

I am confused by your continuous personal attacks.
It would be better if we all stuck to the actual content and topic of the posts rather than trying to re-direct discussion to the posters themselves.

Did you bother to read the actual post contained in this thread where a CN33 owner is experimenting with external software in search of improvement of the onboard sound of their dp?

Hi Mawima

Following mucci's lead on the CA63 I played around with Pianoteq...I was able to get a sound I liked from K1 close mic (AFAIR) with some modified hammer, eq, velocity, others, mixed on top of the CN33 Mellow Grand 1. I didn't have a problem with delay but set the buffer setting quite low, and have a decent laptop. I ended up with a sound I quite liked, but also especially the extra resonances it provided.

I was about to purchase a hum destroyer, but experimented a bit more with using the CN33 internal sounds overlay. One sound that was similar to the Pianoteq overlay was Mellow Grand1, Concert Grand 2, (3-1) about 70-30%. It doesn't beat the Pianoteq resonances though. Of course your taste will be different from mine and I'm sure your tone discrimination is better.

As you say the software piano is too much hassle for not so much improvement, except the resonances. I could also get better pp control, but I was cheating with the velocity adjustment on Pianoteq, and am improving that area of my playing as I learn.

Many of us want to buy a digital piano that acts like as close as possible to an actual piano out of the box including the ability to play pp and with an expressive, organic and realistic sound -- without having to resort to complicated hacks of layering other sounds whether internally or through an external PC with piano modeling software.

I cannot think of another reason for wanting to do so rather than to listen to what some groups of owners are saying: that they find that their standard onboard sounds are lacking or do not provide the level of inspiration that they are seeking.

However, without resorting to attacking others because of their judgments, it should be possible for anyone here to make their own judgment of why the owners of some digital pianos seem to be obsessed with supplanting the sound of their (brand new) digital pianos while others see (hear) no need to do so.

Definition
ho hum: lacking interest or inspiration; mediocre

Last edited by theJourney; 11/11/10 06:18 AM.
hannibal2 #1555393 11/11/10 06:33 AM
theJourney, I'm not attacking you personally - I don't even know you for goodness sake.

I'm simply asking you to stop your trolling behaviour. By this I am referring to your constant efforts to undermine Kawai instruments.

Thank you.

James
x

theJourney #1555399 11/11/10 06:50 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Please stop trolling.

I am confused by your continuous personal attacks.
It would be better if we all stuck to the actual content and topic of the posts rather than trying to re-direct discussion to the posters themselves.

Maybe that's because you act like a troll? There are more than just James with that impression. Have you read the definition of trolling at Wikipedia?

I already mentioned, I love to exchange experiences with people on this forum, and this is what I really love about this great forum. If only everyone would rather be constructive and not (I have to repeat this) bash a special DP brand for whatever reason. And yes, that includes drawing unjustified consequences from selected posts and sell it to us as common agreements or even facts. You do this even with my posts. I would rather like to draw my own conclusions than you misinterpreting my comments.
If YOU don't like the sound of a specific DP that's fine, but please respect the individual experiences of many piano players here on this forum with their DPs they really own and use everyday!

Kawai James #1555404 11/11/10 07:08 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
theJourney, I'm not attacking you personally - I don't even know you for goodness sake.

I'm simply asking you to stop your trolling behaviour. By this I am referring to your constant efforts to undermine Kawai instruments.

Thank you.

James
x

You don't have to know someone personally to engage in personal attack behavior on a forum.

It is not my intention to undermine Kawai instruments, there is quite enough of that going on by the multiple posts from Kawai owners who consistently come across as less than satisfied and obsessively in search of an acceptable sound from their instruments but whom when made aware of their own behavior by others change their tune and resort to attempting to censure others and call them names.

If there were umpteen posts from Williams, or Roland or Yamaha owners fretting about the guitar tones, or puzzling over their piano tones or looking for anti hum devices to mask their ho hum sound workarounds, they would be fair game for discussion and witty syllogisms by others as well.

I wonder if the Kawai Kult here realizes the kind of disservice they are doing to the brand? I am not part of the Kult, but Kawai remains my preferred brand that I support with tough love and factual discussions rather than the demonstrations we witness from some others here of distress, denial and duress?

theJourney #1555413 11/11/10 07:45 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It is not my intention to undermine Kawai instruments, there is quite enough of that going on by the multiple posts from Kawai owners who consistently come across as less than satisfied and obsessively in search of an acceptable sound from their instruments

That's your very own interpretation of what you read (based on your own strong opinion).

You could also interpret it in a completely different way (though I would not dare to declare this as the right interpretation - who am I?): Maybe Kawai buyers are very critical and want the highest possible keyboard touch and sound quality (while others are less ambitious so that Yamaha, Roland and Casio are just fine), and that's the reason why they chose a Kawai? They are very enthusiastic about their DP, and in an effort to get even better quality they investigate some effort in additional sound variations? I would by no means suggest that this is the right way to interpret, but it sounds similarly biased to what you state.

or looking for anti hum devices to mask their ho hum sound

You know what you're talking about? That's a problem of the external audio device, not of the DP...

I wonder if the Kawai Kult here

Hey, now we're even worshipping a Kawai cult? Is that the way you denigrate others who criticize you? Sounds like a former Amiga vs. Atari or (today) Apple vs. Pc war... I think we should be detached enough to keep those ridiculous accusations away from this forum.

And a last statement: If you don't like Kawai then just say it. It's ridiculous to start your posts always with "It is not my intention to undermine Kawai instruments..." when after that you start with an uncontrolled attack against Kawai. That keeps you noncredible.

hannibal2 #1555418 11/11/10 08:02 AM
Bring it on!

[Linked Image]

James
x

hannibal2 #1555423 11/11/10 08:13 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hehe, James!! The only true music computer with build in MIDI controller!! wink

[Linked Image]

hannibal2 #1555632 11/11/10 02:17 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
In response to theJourney's posts (thanks for the interest theJourney) on my and others actions, I accept the sounds of the CN33 for the amount of money I paid for the instrument. I've previously stated I think it represents extraordinary value for its price. I was looking to see if for a further $100 investment in Pianoteq I could get that next leap or step up. I couldn't.

If I really wanted the best sound I would of course get a Grand acoustic but I really can't afford that. In fact at the time of my purchase I decided I could not afford a Roland HP307 or Kawai CA63 which are the next step in the sound and action from current DP's, IMHO.

So like so many other things in life there's a practical compromise for many of us.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

So like so many other things in life there's a practical compromise for many of us.

+1

-

Kawai James #1557521 11/14/10 01:53 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
bluebilly, I did indeed check with the engineering chaps, and recall that the update resolves three issues. Unfortunately I cannot clearly remember what they were (!). I'll have to re-check my emails at the office tomorrow (actually today now...)

As noted above however, the String Resonance issue reported above has been resolved internally, and I expect a software update will be made publicly available in the not too distant future. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Bump for KawaiJames as he arrives to work Monday in Tokyo smile

What your devoted fans would like to know is what's in the recent firmware update for the CN33 and when we can expect the latest string resonance improvement. Thank you.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 11/14/10 02:53 PM.
hannibal2 #1558015 11/15/10 02:37 AM
Thank you, however I work in Hamamatsu, not Tokyo. wink

Regarding the software update, I have recommended that it be made public available as soon as internal testing has been complete.

Cheers,
James
x

hannibal2 #1560037 11/18/10 08:35 AM
Hello chaps,

Just a quick one to let you know that Kawai Europe have made the CN33 v1.21 software update available for public download.

http://kawai.de/downloads_en.htm

I hope it was worth the wait. wink

Cheers,
James
x

hannibal2 #1560040 11/18/10 08:40 AM
U
U
Thank you, James, for the notification.

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission