2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 48 of 106 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 105 106
S
S
went to the library to do genealogical research. I think that was what I needed to do. Saw a rainbow last night for about 3 seconds, John saw it too.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Today was the CFIIIs again, and a low Ab was hitting the Helpinstill pickup. I had to eliminate other suspects, but finally the guy who belonged to the pickup came out and adjusted it. It looked like there was at least 2 or 3 mm. to the pickup. That was not enough, though.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have this one church that has a Helpinstill pickup system that gets moved around constantly. I don't know who's doing it but, it's a pain. I can't count the amount of times they've called complaining that the treble hammers were not playing at all. Well, DUH! Someone moved it, again! Move it back and leave it alone. Always solves the problem for some reason. crazy

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
7 tunings today. 6 at a college: Bosendorfer grand, 3 Mason & Hamlin consoles (60's vintage), 60's Wurlitzer console and a Yamaha P22. From there, went to the local playhouse to tune their Disklavier. Nice full day!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Helpinstills are a pain. Cords buzz on the board, techs leave boxes and metal junctions on the plate and board and complain about buzzes. Set a few good voice mikes and mix it right is plenty good.

Did a Kawai grand and Yamaha Studio for a elder care place then traded off my RAV4 for a 2010 Highlander Hybrid. See if the gas economy is all its cracked up to be.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Seven more at a college today. Two B's, Three Yamaha P-22's, a Boston UP-118S and an old Mason & Hamlin studio.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Monday, tuned a Kawai K-2 and a Yamaha P22 in a home. Then, tuned a Yamaha C-1 (I think) and a Yamaha U1.
Tuesday: Nice day. Tuned what I'm TRYING to tune a day... 3! A Schimmel 52" (about) upright, a Steinway O and a Kawai UST-7.
Wednesday will be: A Yamaha GH1, a Kimblah spinet, a Kawai RX-6, Schimmel T120. Then, volunteering as a driver for the Ronald McDonald House.
Thursday will be: A Yamaha grand, an I don't know and another I don't know. 3 again.
Friday: A Yamaha studio, Kawai UST-8, an old Grinell upright, an I don't know yet and then, an appraisal of something... Can't seem to keep it down to only 3 a day! smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Tuned a Shigeru-Kawai SK-3, what a great piano.
A Weinbach upright that has okay tone and tunes well, but the action is godawful noisy. Some of it was from the jack springs. Proteked them without high expectations that it would last.

Tuned a Steinway M Queen Anne from the early 80s. Replaced a string, then re-coiled a complete botch job on another string. Nice sounding piano, but it plays like a tank. The keyframe said "perma free action," but the action didn't have teflon bushings.

Went to fix a problem note on an old 1880s Steinway. Turns out the jack on the middle C wip was broken. No replacement was available in my parts pin. I hope they decide to exercise the trade-back option with the store they purchased it from...

Tuned a 70s everett 6000 series console, not tuned for maybe ten years. Only the mid range was 5 cents flat or a little more, the rest pretty much at pitch. What a great little piano! Nice tone, tuned well, really fun to play. Such a bummer they had to close the factory.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
B
BDB Offline
B
Permafree 2 has teflon-impregnated felt.

If the jack arm came unglued, I have glued those back together.

I worked on an 1890's Steinway AI today, dealing with pedals, and a bass string that broke at the bridge. I tied another piece of wire on until I can get a replacement.

Semipro Tech
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Wasn't it right around '82 that Steinway nixed the teflon bushing and went to the Permafree II?

DiGiorgi Piano Service
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
When those jacks break, check out the action regulation. It could be the jack is slapping against the whippen. I had one of these up north - but the customer refused to get action work done. I fired him.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ohhhhh, do I wish I could sleep in this morning!!!!!!!!! One of those mornings where zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz would be just perfect!!!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Bob
When those jacks break, check out the action regulation. It could be the jack is slapping against the whippen. I had one of these up north - but the customer refused to get action work done. I fired him.

That is the case; too much aftertouch. This is a new customer who just bought this piano from a store I contract for. The piano is in a tight corner in a dimly lit room. Hard to get at, hard to see, not much room to finagle the action out. The customer is not interested in spending $ on action work, even though they got it fairly inexpensively, as Steinways go. This would be a good rebuild project, methinks.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tuned a 1966 Story & Clark console, nice piano, pins are very predicable, has a couple of tubby bass strings though. First tuned it back in July - they just purchased it- and it was a whole semitone off, was 23cent low today, did a pitch raise and tune today.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Day three of college tunings. Tuned 7 today. 3 Hamiltons, a Yamaha P22, an Everett console, a 90's Chickering grand (Samick), and a Mason & Hamlin console. 2 more days ought to wrap it up.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Stencil grand by major maker - Sticky hammer flanges due to poor seasoning of wood parts. Tuned, and made appointment to remove, test, and re-pin each sticky flange. Also needs voicing. Then to a Wurli spinet I tune every year for a wonderful old lady. She has two organs, and several guitars in addition to the spinet. I hope she calls me for many more years! Then a floor tuning raised 60 cents to 442. I almost couldn't get the fall board screw out. Tiny, soft, easily stripped screw. GRRR. Then a new customer who's piano was only 5 cents flat, which almost never happens. I fixed her broken lid hinge. # 5 was a Richmond old upright, good initial build quality, but this is worn and pins too loose to raise 30 cents to 440. The customer was relieved the piano was worn, as she really wants to replace it down the road. I tuned it 30 cents flat for the time being.

Only 3 on Thursday, but I don't start till 1pm. I'm taking the scooter out in the morning.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
A C-7 Yamaha that's pretty tired at the University, an A B Chase upright from 1913 that must have been a great piano once (and still plays and sounds way better than it has any right to!), a Lester Grand that may have termites in a classroom at a school for underprivileged kids; a Franklin and a Shoninger BG at the school teacher's house, both in a sorry state.

A short time later, I got a call from someone with a really old piano they bought from an antique store without consulting a technician. They said it looks great, but it sounds very out of tune. Today's selection left me in no mood to wrestle with another can o' worms, so I (hopefully politely) declined.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Missed this one, but yesterday I did 6 more at the college. M&H studio, Steinway B, 2 Boston consoles, an Everett console, and finally an old beat up D. Three more today and the 30-piano round is done! smile

DiGiorgi Piano Service
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Started regulating an evestaff miniroyal mini piano. The majority of the keys had at least half of the key dip of lost motion. Incredible! The regulating screws were quite loose, so maybe that's the reason. Took up the lost motion and the keys magically work again! Customer complained of a previous tech who said the keys needed replacing. No idea what that would have achieved. Heard stories of this guy before, he runs the only piano shop in my area. Hate to think how many pianos he's servicing that are slowly going out of whack!
Now off for a nice weekend away smile

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
First piano, 90's Korean grand, filthy, pulling all kinds of debris, screws, crackers, pencils, etc. from soundboard and action. No aftertouch (many of these were delivered out of reg, and others were never put on the key banging machine so felts compressed in the home, instead of in the factory). I cleaned it, raised pitch and recommended a reg.

Number two Hamilton 401 at a church - cleaning crew was supposed to meet me out there. No one there. Called the contact, who called the cleaning crew, who had gone to get supplies. By the time they let me in, I had an hour to raise pitch 30 cents, and re pin a tight hammer flange at F3. Finished in an hour.

Number three, a small 5' or so Hardman grand. All original except for finish and key tops. Action needs a reg badly, but still a good piano. The beams were twice the size we see today.

Then, I went home and took the scooter out for an hour.

Finally, I attended the sound check for tomorrow's Beethoven piano concerto, to make sure the D I recently powered up was loud enough. It was, and the artist was very happy. I have to raise it to 442 Saturday afternoon for the concert Saturday night.

Page 48 of 106 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission