2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
liem Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello all!

I would like to start learning to play the piano. I do not however, have the room for a grand piano nor the money for it.

After googling for some time i decided to post my question here.

From what I understand, when looking for a digital piano you need to look for some special features that most resemble a -real- piano. Like weighted keys.

I am looking for a (simple) model without the 100 bells and whistles, but that feels as closely as a piano. I saw on amazon that one can purchase a sustain pedal for digital piano's. However, I still have to learn basic piano playing.

If anyone can help me out, I would be very grateful for that!

Thanks in advance,
Liem

Just starting!
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Liem and welcome to the forum! You might want to have a look over on the Digital Pianos sub-forum as this question comes up quite often there. In general, nearly any digital with 88 weighted keys should be fine and you will definitely want a sustain pedal even if you are just beginning. You didn't give your price range but a lot of people like the Casio PX-110 (I have one) and it's fairly inexpensive.

Good luck in your search and welcome again.

Greg
P
P
Hi Liem. Yes you need an 88-key digital piano, with weighted, touch sensitive keys. As BB mentioned above, the Casio range is great for beginners. I also have a PX-110 which I bought secondhand for not a lot of money. You do also need a pedal. The secondhand market is full of keyboards and a Casio Privia should be attainable for around £200 (UKP). Also have a look at Yamaha, which is the other brand favoured by beginners. I would recommend buying secondhand and not spending too much. You can always upgrade in a year or two.

Kawai CA67
L
liem Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you both! after reading quite some pages in the Digital piano sub-forum, the casio px-130 turns up frequently. Apparently it is the successor to the px-110 since that has been discontinued.

Also, the advise to do a try-out on a second hand sounds logical. Especially since I'm just starting out.
One thing I also read about is the sensitivity of the keys. in the example of the px-130, it says it has three sensors. Is this to derive the speed with witch the keys are pressed? This seems like a very important feature to me, because it enables you to play the same note 'hard' and 'soft'. So this feature is a must, I take it?

Just starting!
With a PC and Pianoteq, and some good powered monitors, you can get any sound out of a digital piano.

Chris
2004 Petrof IV
1920 Ludwig Upright
Too many guitars to list
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by liem

One thing I also read about is the sensitivity of the keys. in the example of the px-130, it says it has three sensors. Is this to derive the speed with witch the keys are pressed? This seems like a very important feature to me, because it enables you to play the same note 'hard' and 'soft'. So this feature is a must, I take it?

No, that's not what three sensors indicate. All but the most basic keyboards are "touch sensitive" (meaning, you hit the keys faster and they will play louder. How good that is is an important factor - my very old digital definitely makes it very hard to control dynamics.

A triple sensor mechanism is there to allow quicker repetition - that is playing the same note quicker two or more times in a row.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission