2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

I think you lose a lot of credibility when you do something like that. You sent us to a reference that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
Either you don't know who Friederike Streicher-Müller was or...hmm, donno. As for the OK folks - delusions of grandeur?

If you're serious, please tell us where that reference has anything related to what we're talking about, or what you said, or in fact, anything relevant at all, whatsoever. ha

Otherwise, we have to assume you're skrewing with us, as you have sometimes been known to do....

skrewing with us
skrewing?? You really don't know who Friederike Streicher-Müller is do you? May I suggest an opportune Google?

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

OK folks, it's official: Ignore this guy's post on what Chopin supposedly said about pedaling.

I too have been told something of this sort about Chopin. Cannot give a written reference, it was in conversation.

As far as I know Chopin didn't publish a method book with a teachers copy. As with everything at the high levels of artistic traditions, the most important ideas are passed personally from master to pupil.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by landorrano
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Peyton
It's been a long time since I took lessons but as I recall when I played Bach for my teacher she would insist I not use the pedal. Is that standard practice?

Whether it is standard or not (and I am guessing that with the better teachers, it is standard), it should be the basic starting point for playing Bach on piano.

For teaching Bach, I agree. I lose all confidence in a teacher who introduces pedaling and crescendos and diminuendos and so on to a youngster. It distracts attention from where it should be, which is not playing.

But playing Bach is another story, to each his own in my view.

Right. As I said, I think that using no pedal should be the starting point, for the reason I stated - but I didn't mean to imply it was also the end point (although it very well could be, too). I have heard plenty of good performances of Bach on piano where the pianist used pedal.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@Mark C Not being able to verify someone's facts, is not the same as that person lying. I don't think we have to ignore what Keyboardklutz said at all.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Victor25
@Mark C Not being able to verify someone's facts, is not the same as that person lying. I don't think we have to ignore what Keyboardklutz said at all.

You kind of DO have to when the link isn't at all supportive of the issue at hand. I know who the person to whom klutz is referring is, but that really means nothing in regard to the topic at hand.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Those in the know in the Chopin world are sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for publication of these letters. Shame that to some(one?) that just translates as 'skrewing with us'.

Originally Posted by stores
You kind of DO have to when the link isn't at all supportive of the issue at hand. I know who the person to whom klutz is referring is, but that really means nothing in regard to the topic at hand.
If you don't want to know what's in sought after unpublished letters re: Chopin by one of his top pupils that's your business - others may have an interest.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Enquiring minds want to know!

On his punctuality, contrary to other sources, she said it was poor - sometimes not turning up at all. At other times he sat in an adjacent room working while she played. He didn't allow much, if any, limb movement and on pedaling, as I've said, disallowed it till the fingers knew what they were doing. That's all I remember for now - hopefully some of them'll be published soon.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Klutz, methinks you do enjoy winding people up... This does sound very fascinating. Do I take it that you were at the EPTA conference?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
I expect to see some back-pedalling on this standpoint.

You mean bach-pedaling? wink

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
If you don't want to know what's in sought after unpublished letters re: Chopin by one of his top pupils that's your business - others may have an interest.

Of course I'm interested in the letters, but that's not the point here. Someone asked you for evidence backing up your statement, but you've not given any...unless, of course, you've read aforementioned letters and found something we're unaware of.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Originally Posted by David-G
Klutz, methinks you do enjoy winding people up... This does sound very fascinating. Do I take it that you were at the EPTA conference?
Yes, and as such
...unless, of course, you've read aforementioned letters and found something we're unaware of.
you could say I've read extracts from the letters (from a projector screen along with everybody else there).

Originally Posted by landorrano
....As far as I know Chopin didn't publish a method book with a teachers copy. As with everything at the high levels of artistic traditions, the most important ideas are passed personally from master to pupil.

Right -- but usually things like that were put in writing somewhere by somebody. There's a book (by a guy named Eigeldinger) that focuses on what his students said about his teaching, and many other sources that talk quite a bit about it, and those serve as the main references about this. Our fellow here gave a reference that supposedly had stuff about what he said -- but it doesn't.

If it's nowhere except what some of us 'heard somewhere,' it's probably not true, especially since it makes very little sense as a blanket rule. (Really I would say "none," but I'm trying to be kind.) smile

Originally Posted by Victor25
Not being able to verify someone's facts, is not the same as that person lying. I don't think we have to ignore what Keyboardklutz said at all.

He backed it up with something that supposedly bore out what he said, but actually doesn't say anything about it. BTW I didn't say he was lying, I just think he was wrong and he's reluctant to say that he might be.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

He backed it up with something that supposedly bore out what he said, but actually doesn't say anything about it. BTW I didn't say he was lying, I just think he was wrong and he's reluctant to say that he might be.

Clearly the reference was to the speaker at the conference who is a descendant of the Streicher family. Friedericke Mueller-Streicher was a student of Chopin and is cited as such by many references, including Eigeldinger. Apparently a large number of her letters describing lessons with Chopin have been found, and, presumably, said speaker shared some excerpts with the audience. Excerpts of which were shared here by Kbk and in his trademark style.
So it is a bit disingenuous to claim that the weblink has absolutely no relationship to what he said. On the other hand, there are no quotes from said letters there (or anywhere else). I suppose we will have to wait and see what gets published.. I would not necessarily extrapolate and radically pronounce him "wrong" AND reluctant to admit it!!!

Originally Posted by Andromaque
....it is a bit disingenuous to claim that the weblink has absolutely no relationship to what he said. On the other hand.....

Sorry, but that part is plainly wrong, and obviously I disagree with much of the rest too. I assumed he did mean that the link had something about what we were talking about, esp. since he said 'see page 2.' "Disingenuous" means I realized there wouldn't necessarily be anything about it there and I'm just being rhetorical or something like that; in fact I genuinely feel what I said -- and I think you must have missed something or else you wouldn't doubt it: I assumed it so much that, as I mentioned, I even looked carefully through the other pages to see if maybe the page numbers were showing up differently for me than for him, or maybe he made a mistake about which page it was.

When someone wonders about backup for a specific point, and the other person gives a link and points you to a certain page......well, I'm very surprised you think what you said.

There's no talking sense to some people. Here's my original reply:
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Where have you seen this???
You had to have been there - unpublished Streicher family letters.
UNPUBLISHED! In fact Mrs Steicher's talk was the first time they'd been presented to the public. Quite exciting in my book!

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by david_a
If I may presume to paraphrase landorrano: The physical act of playing this music is not difficult.

I think that added phrase removes the misunderstanding, and it was the way I originally read the post.

....and I can perhaps clarify the disagreement with this quote from Josef Hofmann:

"What makes you think we play with our hands?" smile
That can be seen either as an argument that the hands are not of paramount importance, or an argument that piano music should be performed without any use of the hands. If the former, then it is exactly the point that landorrano already made in the first place, and no explanation of anything is necessary since nobody disagreed even if they claimed to. If the latter... well, Hofmann's nose must have been pretty sore most of the time. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission