2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Btw, I advised to only buy "used" even though I said I bought mine new. The reason I purchased new is because it was even less expensive than the used market was!

If you time a new grand purchase right, some dealers may be willing to sell you a piano at cost. The reason is that they only have so many months of free floor time before they must start paying on them.

What I did is meet with my local piano dealer and told him that I would be willing to purchase new if I can buy at cost. I realized that I may have to wait a while for the right conditions to come around but sure enough they did! Just like I thought they would!

On some pianos, (not all), the markup can be obscene. My piano was listed at $65,000 new. I paid MUCH less than half that!

Yup!

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Btw, I advised to only buy "used" even though I said I bought mine new. The reason I purchased new is because it was even less expensive than the used market was!

If you time a new grand purchase right, some dealers may be willing to sell you a piano at cost. The reason is that they only have so many months of free floor time before they must start paying on them.

What I did is meet with my local piano dealer and told him that I would be willing to purchase new if I can buy at cost. I realized that I may have to wait a while for the right conditions to come around but sure enough they did! Just like I thought they would!

On some pianos, (not all), the markup can be obscene. My piano was listed at $65,000 new. I paid MUCH less than half that!

Yup!

Now that would be nice.. Hmm, Of course a M&H would be awesome but I'd gladly take a Knabe 6'4" (since I love the tone & action) so I wonder.. (mind ponders)
- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Steinway store where I bought my non-steinway, mass-produced Chinese piano told me that a good percentage of their customers bought a grand piano only to be used as furniture!

In these tough economic times, I'm sure there's folks looking to unload their "furniture." smokin

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Okay, we are starting to get into "frugal" disscussion territory where my cheap arse shines brightest. (Did I mention I currently drive a 50+ mpg station wagon?....VW Jetta wagon TDI).

Here is probably the most useful link you will ever find when it comes to buying anything used. Especially if you realize that ANYTHING can be shipped either UPS or freight truck. Of course a utility trailer behind a car/truck works just as well and only costs your time and some gas.

"Nationwide" craigslist search

http://www.craigs-list-search.com/

just type in grand piano and see the possibilities!

I too had this itch and I just had to cure it a couple of years ago. I was very fortunate to get a used (as old as me!), but very good condition grand, that didn't break the bank. It's not perfect, but it allows me to practice in a whole new dimension than my upright / keyboard could. I hope someday to have my grand restored or trade it in for a new one, but that would be years and years down the road.

I wish the best luck in your search.

D
D
I would love to have a grand... the last one I saw was €15000... it's as expensive as a car, and I could use that money to do so many things... like help buying a house just for where I can put the piano lolz maybe around 30 XD

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hear ya!

I have a digital piano at home. When I go to my lessons I play a Steinway grand and every time I lay my hands on those keys and play it's like: Ahhhhhh. It just feels and sounds SO good.

I used to reason away the idea of purchasing a grand piano, as badly as I wanted one, because I don't have room in my apartment and I really like where I live right now. And of course because of the $$$. Then one day it hit me. Just because my apartment cant fit a grand doesn't mean I can't start saving for one anyway. And by the time I save that kind of cash I will probably want to move.

So, I started my Piano Fund. I have two jars that I've been putting my change in at the end of the day. Now that the jar is full I am going to open a special savings account just for my piano fund. And any extra money I get will go into the fund as well. For example: I got a refund check the other day so that will go in there. I lend someone some $$$ a few weeks ago and they paid me back today. So, in it goes. I was even thinking of starting a Piano Fund Blog to track the progress.

As far as new or old. I guess I could go either way. I think it would come down to how it feels and what kind of condition it is in.

So, start saving TTigg. We will get our grands sooner or later.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
I hate to break this to you, Steve, but you're doomed. The itching for a grand is only the first symptom of a full-fledged disorder that costs thousands of dollars to cure. grin
laugh ha

― Bruce Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Also... have you checked out this site?
http://www.pianoadoption.com/free_pianos_CA.htm

― Bruce Lee
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Mr Super Hunky
I would prefer new. When you bought your new one at minimal mark-up, was it the demonstration one on display at the shop ?
I liked your tactic of stating upfront that you are willing to buy new if you can get the dealer's cost.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple
Hi Mr Super Hunky
I would prefer new. When you bought your new one at minimal mark-up, was it the demonstration one on display at the shop ?
I liked your tactic of stating upfront that you are willing to buy new if you can get the dealer's cost.

Yes. My piano was the brand new display model that was on the floor for a few months. the dealer has several months to display or try and sell the piano for whatever they can make on it. If the piano does not sell, the dealer will start paying financing charges. Sometimes, the dealer may just choose to sell the piano at or near cost just to sell it quickly then replace it right away with the same exact one minus any finance charges...(for several months anyway).

This "tactic" is very effective and I use it on all large purchases when I can.

I did the exact same deal with a brand new Ford F-150 supercrew Lariat. A truck priced at $42,000. I waited until the end on the month..(quota time) and asked to meet with the sales mgr.

I told him that I am in the market for this exact truck but am in no hurry to buy....unless the deals get ridiculous! I told him if you ever need another additional sale to reach some quota but are just a little short, call me.

Of course you know how this ends right?. I ended up paying LESS than the model below the Lariat (xlt) for $28k.

It is absolutely incredible what kind of insane deals are out there. Sometimes all you have to do is ask. I do this stuff all the time.

Last edited by mr_super-hunky; 11/05/10 09:55 PM.
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Steve, you need to find a deal like this:

Ibach

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
Steve, you need to find a deal like this:

Ibach

wOw - yeah that would be pretty insane!
- Steve

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission