Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
140 registered members (AnthonyPaulO, Animisha, AlphaBravoCharlie, Beardog, anotherscott, 7uturu, 40 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 #1348326
01/13/10 04:41 AM
01/13/10 04:41 AM
W
worlduser Offline OP
worlduser  Offline OP
W

Yamaha P85 is slightly V-shaped on the bottom, so standard X stands don't seem to do well. Yamaha has a L85 stand which is custom built for the P85, but it's $100 more than I would like to pay for at the moment. But given that there are only 3 pieces to put together, it seems simple enough to make from wood boards purchased from Home Depot.

Does anybody have one at home and want to post the measurements? Otherwise I can just make some guesses as to the measurements.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: worlduser] #1350953
01/16/10 08:47 AM
01/16/10 08:47 AM
Hamburg, Germany
Martin C. Doege Offline
Martin C. Doege  Offline

Hamburg, Germany
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get around to measuring this earlier.

The two vertical boards are (66 x 28.5 x 2) cm and the horizontal one is (128.5 x 16.5 x 2) cm.

Yamaha P-85; Pianoteq Pleyel
Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: Martin C. Doege] #1355294
01/22/10 05:52 AM
01/22/10 05:52 AM
W
worlduser Offline OP
worlduser  Offline OP
W

Hi Martin

Thanks for your response. My measurements came out different. I think it's important to get the span of each keyboard edge so that they actually fit.

Last edited by worlduser; 01/22/10 08:32 AM.
Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: worlduser] #1355722
01/22/10 07:01 PM
01/22/10 07:01 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Martin C. Doege Offline
Martin C. Doege  Offline

Hamburg, Germany
Yes, of course it has to fit the width of the keyboard, so I thought you were mainly interested in the height. The vertical boards also need metal parts at the top for the four screws (2 on both sides) to go through. Getting that part right might be more difficult than a passable copy of the laminated wood panels...

Also, the wooden stand comes with these optional metal bars for the feet that are supposed to make the whole assembly less prone to tip over. Definitely a good idea if the P-85 is in the middle of the room somewhere and not right next to a wall.

Finally, the three-pedal unit is quite heavy and adds stability. Are you still sure you want to build all this yourself? smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: worlduser] #1355779
01/22/10 08:25 PM
01/22/10 08:25 PM
Redondo Beach, California
C
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChrisA  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C

Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted by worlduser
Hi Martin

Thanks for your response. My measurements came out different. I think it's important to get the span of each keyboard edge so that they actually fit.

I built a stand recently for an old DP that I gave to a relative. I never measured the width. I just built two uprights and placed them under the screw holes in the bottom of the DP and jigged it up straight. Next a clamped a wide board to the uprights and traced a pencil mark to the cross brace then cut on the line. Fit was perfect. I still don't know how wide the stand is exactly.

I did have to use a tape measure to get the key height from the floor correct.

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: Martin C. Doege] #1544970
10/27/10 07:22 PM
10/27/10 07:22 PM
E
egs Offline
egs  Offline
E

Hi Guys,

I am picking up a used (one month old) P85 tomorrow and I like the idea of building my own stand. But since you seem to disagree about the measurements below...Does anyone have the correct measurements and, perhaps the solution to the problem of the two 'stairway-shaped' braces the original L85 uses to hold the P85 keyboard? I would think a traditional iron L-hook would do the trick, if the distance of the screwhole to the side board permits this.

Originally Posted by Martin C. Doege
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get around to measuring this earlier.

The two vertical boards are (66 x 28.5 x 2) cm and the horizontal one is (128.5 x 16.5 x 2) cm.

I found the original manual of the L85 online and even that doesn't contain the measurements...

If you guys made a stand yourselves already, maybe it would be fun to post some pictures?

Thank you and regards,
egs

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: worlduser] #1545001
10/27/10 09:01 PM
10/27/10 09:01 PM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Interesting idea, egs. Funny but I've been thinking the same thing with my P85, except I'm thinking of a stand for another smaller keyboard as well, a Yamaha EZ200. Would like to be able to place a laptop somewhere on the unit.

But I'm not such a mechanic or a handy man and would need a great deal of help to do this. Hope you get some good guidance, will keep an eye on this thread!

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: TheodorN] #1545246
10/28/10 06:14 AM
10/28/10 06:14 AM
E
egs Offline
egs  Offline
E

Hi Pianotehead,

Maybe it's a bit naieve, but I was thinking of just going to a hardware store, buy a decent 250x60cm furniture panel (I am just literally translating from Dutch, so sorry if I am using stupid words or terms), have the hardware store saw it into the rigt part-sizes and then drill some holes, done...

IF I manage this, then there is of course still the matter of the brackets uses to attach the piano. If the P85 would 'rest' on the side stands, I could measure the distance of its screwholes to the side board and decide on the best solution then. I reckon it would cost me about 25 euro's, whereas the L85 stand costs about 100 euro's..

To be continued...:)

Regards,
egs

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: worlduser] #1545317
10/28/10 09:47 AM
10/28/10 09:47 AM
A
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
A

I've seen people mention that the P85 doesn't always sit properly on stands... but the P95 seems fine from what I can tell, so I wonder if that was a change they made. Does anyone have a pointer to (or might be able to post) a photo online that shows the problem, i.e. shows the shape of the P85 underside that is causing the problem?

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: worlduser] #1545357
10/28/10 11:07 AM
10/28/10 11:07 AM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Don't know how well the P85s sit on stands. I have mine on a desk and it's perfectly stable. Not a good idea, I know.

Took some pictures of the thing.

[Linked Image]

As you can see from this picture the piano has taps (is that the right word?) with cushions on them to make it sit stable.

The right and left side respectively to make it clearer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope the pictures come out fine, made them non-floating as I wasn't sure which option to take.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: worlduser] #1546458
10/29/10 06:19 PM
10/29/10 06:19 PM
North Carolina
B
Bob M Offline
Bob M  Offline
B

North Carolina
Worlduser, EGS,

I needed a stand I could put away in our small cottage. Cut pieces of scrap plywood (1) 30" x 25", (2) 12" x 25". Hinged the three together along the 25" (height I needed for my knees and chair). It stands on (4) adhesive rubber feet, and rug padding on the top edges of the 12's keeps the NP 30 from sliding around. Stable enough, unless you have small children or large dogs. I guess I spent $4 for the small hinges.

I built a more elaborate piano/music "work station" for the SP 170 at home, but I can't seem to attach a picture. Both little projects took wood & stain, a circular saw, course-thread drywall screws, and not-much imagination. Take this as encouragement.

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333
Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: TheodorN] #1548365
11/01/10 12:05 PM
11/01/10 12:05 PM
A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A

Thanks for posting those pics, Pianotehead. I have a question..

There is an area near each of those bottom-facing speakers--directly above them in the photos you posted--that is missing a bracket which the P-95 has, roughly 3/4" x 6 3/4", right near what would be the front feet. The screw holes are there, but the bracket itself is not there. Did you remove them for some reason? Or were they never there? (Those brackets are needed for the piece to sit properly on a stand whose supports happen to fall in those areas.)

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: anotherscott] #1548378
11/01/10 12:22 PM
11/01/10 12:22 PM
Rome, Italy
A
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member
achat  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Rome, Italy
For what I have extensively read before to buy the P85, about the P85 and the P95, one of the main difference between the two is exactly the bottom. Yamaha received a lot of complaints about the instability of P85 on X stand for the V shape that the P95 has been changed underneath.

BTW, I bought the P85 and a double X stand from Proel, and I found the perfect combination of height and width that makes the P85 stay firmly on it. It almost a set of null measure, to use a mathematical term, but it actually has measure different from zero smile It is all about exploiting the central orizontal bar that ends before the speakers on the front bottom side.

I can post pictures if someone needs.

A.

Originally Posted by anotherscott
Thanks for posting those pics, Pianotehead. I have a question..

There is an area near each of those bottom-facing speakers--directly above them in the photos you posted--that is missing a bracket which the P-95 has, roughly 3/4" x 6 3/4", right near what would be the front feet. The screw holes are there, but the bracket itself is not there. Did you remove them for some reason? Or were they never there? (Those brackets are needed for the piece to sit properly on a stand whose supports happen to fall in those areas.)

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: achat] #1548403
11/01/10 12:55 PM
11/01/10 12:55 PM
A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by ashat
For what I have extensively read before to buy the P85, about the P85 and the P95, one of the main difference between the two is exactly the bottom. Yamaha received a lot of complaints about the instability of P85 on X stand for the V shape that the P95 has been changed underneath.

It's hard to tell 3-dimensional details from a photo, but from what I can tell, the bottom of that P85 looks the same as the bottom of the P95 except that the P85 is missing those two important pieces for stand placement. It may very well be that that was a change they made to the P95, but it surprised me because the *holes* for the bracket are there in the pics of the P85!

Maybe someone here with a P85 can look to see if they have those brackets there, or just the holes as in the pic? If someone can tell me how to post a pic, I can put up a pic of what the P95 has there.

As for the V-Shape, I don't see that problem in the P95, but I also don't see it in the P85 pic, so either I don't understand what I'm looking for, or it's a 3D detail getting lost in the transition to 2D.

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: anotherscott] #1548413
11/01/10 01:08 PM
11/01/10 01:08 PM
Rome, Italy
A
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member
achat  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Rome, Italy
Scott,

what are you calling "brackets" here?
Sorry it is a fault of my english.

The problem in the P85 is that the central bar in the front bottom is short. It follows that if the X stand is how to say, "too open", it falls beyond the bar, and the P85 loose the correct balance and is lying on the front.

The "V shape" is in fact referred to the speakers portion.
On the fact that Yamaha has changed the bottom in the p95 (for the rest externally completely similar to the p85) there is an extended literature..

A.

As for the V-Shape, I don't see that problem in the P95, but I also don't see it in the P85 pic, so either I don't understand what I'm looking for, or it's a 3D detail getting lost in the transition to 2D.

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: achat] #1548438
11/01/10 01:38 PM
11/01/10 01:38 PM
A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A

what are you calling "brackets" here?
Sorry it is a fault of my english.

No problem (far better than my Italian or anything else not English). The piece I am talking about is a little strip of metal that bridges the gap between two sections of plastic. It may become more clear as you read on...

The problem in the P85 is that the central bar in the front bottom is short. It follows that if the X stand is how to say, "too open", it falls beyond the bar, and the P85 loose the correct balance and is lying on the front.

I think I understand. The central bar ends where the speaker begins, right? Then there is a gap where the speaker opening is, and then there is the section with the foot which is at the same level as the central bar.

Now, looking at the photos, at the end of the central bar, there is a screw hole. Then directly across, about 6" over, on the other side of the speaker opening, is another screw hole, right next to the foot. On the P95, there is a strip of metal (what I am calling the bracket) that is attached to these two screw holes, providing a continuous, level surface from the central bar, through the speaker opening area, to the other side by the foot. So there is no problem putting it on a stand.

It seems weird to me that the P85 would have the screw holes, but not have the piece itself! But that would explain why the P85 is awkward to place on some stands, and the P95 seems normal.

The "V shape" is in fact referred to the speakers portion.
On the fact that Yamaha has changed the bottom in the p95 (for the rest externally completely similar to the p85) there is an extended literature..

Yes, I can see that the speaker area slants in, so if that's the V, then yes, the "missing" metal strip is what could prevent it from laying flat. I have looked on Yamaha's web site at the P85 and P95, though, and did not see mention of this feature change (or any photo).

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: worlduser] #1548456
11/01/10 02:03 PM
11/01/10 02:03 PM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Anotherscott, I didn't remove anything from the piano and don't recall seeing some metal strips in an extra package. Only the pedal (which I've never tried as I read it's of poor quality) and the AC/DC adapter. Also of course the manual and note stand.

These discussions have led me to take a closer look at the piano and I noticed as it sits on the desk, the keys point a few degrees up. Which means that if I'd put it on a stand, it would have to lean a bit down towards me (or anybody playing) to make the keys horizontal. Isn't it easier on the hands that way?

My YouTube channel

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: anotherscott] #1548459
11/01/10 02:12 PM
11/01/10 02:12 PM
Rome, Italy
A
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member
achat  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Rome, Italy
Another Scott,

I completely get what you are talking about now!
And you are right!!

Just checked my P85, and it has the holes but not the brackets (july 2010) exactly how Pianotehead pictures show.

So these funny people at Yamaha are still selling P85 with the holes but without the brackets to drive us crazy, and at the same time selling P95 with the brackets but basically the same cabinet??

Here is a picture of the P95 bottom that show the similarity despite the added brackets..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P95
(just click on the main image and additional images show up, one of the bottom too)

Good to know. Thanks.
So now the point is:
what can we, poor owners of the P85, put in place of the "original" brackets?

smile

Edit: Looking closer to the picture of the bottom P95, the brackets seem more something to carry the keyboard than something to make it stable on a stand. Despite they actually fill the gap that makes the P85 unstable. Isn't it?

A.

Last edited by ashat; 11/01/10 02:16 PM.
Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: achat] #1548477
11/01/10 02:40 PM
11/01/10 02:40 PM
A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A

Here is a picture of the P95 bottom that show the similarity despite the added brackets..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P95

Yup. Picture 5 clearly shows the bracket where there is only a gap on the P85, despite the screw holes for the bracket apparently being there.

So now the point is:

I would imagine you might be able to have a Yamaha dealer order "replacement" pieces for that part for a P95, and put them on your P85?

Edit: Looking closer to the picture of the bottom P95, the brackets seem more something to carry the keyboard than something to make it stable on a stand. Despite they actually fill the gap that makes the P85 unstable. Isn't it?

No, they are definitely not functional as handles. They appear to be there for no purpose other than to provide a flatter bottom surface.

The only theory I could come up with is that the P85 was originally designed to have the brackets, and they ran off the plastic mold, and then someone decided the brackets weren't necessary and decided to save a few cents by not using them; and then later, when they heard complaints about how it didn't sit flat, someone realized *that's* what those brackets were for, and specified to have them put back in for the next model. But who knows.

Re: Buiding a stand for Yamaha P85 [Re: anotherscott] #1548480
11/01/10 02:47 PM
11/01/10 02:47 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Martin C. Doege Offline
Martin C. Doege  Offline

Hamburg, Germany

So now the point is:

I would imagine you might be able to have a Yamaha dealer order "replacement" pieces for that part for a P95, and put them on your P85?

Those replacement parts supposedly also existed for the P-85; the only problem is finding out the correct parts number. I'm using the wooden stand, so I haven't looked into it.

Martin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Transporting a grand
by jinorden. 03/25/19 07:07 AM
Ca65 power button problem
by UK Paul UK. 03/25/19 05:33 AM
Canon in D
by Vũ Trần. 03/25/19 03:18 AM
How to polish a piece
by lunobili. 03/24/19 10:53 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,112
Posts2,810,606
Members92,872
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission