Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (ando, albynism, achoo42, AWilley, Chopin Acolyte, Anticlock, AYS, Balezin Dmitry, 15 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: Johnny-Boy] #1544345
10/27/10 12:23 AM
10/27/10 12:23 AM
UK
Nikolas Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Nikolas  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by Johnny-Boy
Originally Posted by Nikolas
We need to remember that when Red Heat was released, Prokofiev's music was not yet in public domain! wink Not even in the US I believe! So it's not just a matter of ripping of material. Especially in the mentioned case, it's clear as crystal that he copy pasted the score and changed a little bit the orchestration!

Not necessarily Nikolas. For all we know, Horner has a mechanical license to use Prokofiev's music in this manner.

John smile
This is what I can't prove: When I first saw the film, I already knew of Prokofiev's cantata (had found a Melodvia record for sale and loving Prokofiev, I bought the obscure work). There was NO mention of Prokofiev's name in the first release of the film. Now, of course, DVDs and youtube vids have the reference, but back then there wasn't any!

And of course this is direct copying not "just" plagiarism: http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/red_heat.html

For the purpose of the discussion with gmonks: I largely agree. If you want to be clear you are original, use new techniques!

On the subject of unintentional copyright infrigment, here's a few links to enjoy my own fault:
"My" work: www.nikolas-sideris.com/ads/dragon_orchestral_epic.mp3
and here's John Powells score for Shrek 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzStDHlZDyM (around 1:03).

I had absolutely no idea I was directly copying the theme, and rather closely the orchestration, but needless to say I pulled out of the contect (and I was winning...), and keep using the track to examplify what could've happened to anyone, without much effort...

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: gsmonks] #1544382
10/27/10 01:51 AM
10/27/10 01:51 AM
PA
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Johnny-Boy  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
"Secondly, there are simple tools to use to avoid copying the work of others. The first is to have a broad knowledge of music in general, which is what works for pop writers" - gsmonks

That would be quite a broad knowledge of music considering there's an estimated 40-50 million songs on iTunes, Limewire, etc... alone. Then add to that millions of other songs that aren't available for public listening (I have a couple hundred of those myself).

I agree that there are ways to lessen the chances of unintentionally copying someone else's work (though much more difficult with the limitations given to popular music). Also, one can never be sure that the melody buzzing through one's creative mind isn't a remnant from earlier listening days.

John smile

Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!
Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: Johnny-Boy] #1544396
10/27/10 02:29 AM
10/27/10 02:29 AM
Hutchinson, Minnesota, United ...
Jared Hoeft Offline
Jared Hoeft  Offline

Why worry about it? If somebody honestly and accidently wrote something that sounded strikingly similar to something of mine, I would not flip out over it. We all just need to chill out a bit. Are there people out there who would use our hard work to their advantage? Yes, of course, so still keep a guard up, but give people the benefit of the doubt. As for melodies/harmonies... I want to come up with original material, but I also want it to please my ear. I don't have a thought-out tone system to lower the chances of accidental copying. I write what comes out of my brain.

Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: gsmonks] #1544406
10/27/10 02:53 AM
10/27/10 02:53 AM
Saskatchewan, Canada
G
gsmonks Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
gsmonks  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
G

Saskatchewan, Canada
Why worry about the theft of someone's intellectual property, Jared? Because it's their property. It belongs to them. If this wasn't the case, there'd be no element of criminality. If there was a Schumann famiily estate that still owned the rights to Schumann's music, Horner would be in deep doo-doo right now.

Regardless, this matter raises the question, Does Horner have the right to profit from music he plagiarised? I would say that he owes royalties on the music he appropriated.

Otherwise, what's to stop people from using classical music as is and stamping their own name on it?

Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: gsmonks] #1544485
10/27/10 06:25 AM
10/27/10 06:25 AM
PA
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Johnny-Boy  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
"If there was a Schumann famiily estate that still owned the rights to music, Horner would be in deep doo-doo right now" - gsmonks

Deep doo-doo? I doubt it. Do you really think 20th Century Fox and Horner's lawyers wouldn't obtain the nescessary licensing if needed?

John

Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: Johnny-Boy] #1544534
10/27/10 08:08 AM
10/27/10 08:08 AM
Saskatchewan, Canada
G
gsmonks Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
gsmonks  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
G

Saskatchewan, Canada
"If there was a Schumann famiily estate that still owned the rights to music, Horner would be in deep doo-doo right now" - gsmonks

Deep doo-doo? I doubt it. Do you really think 20th Century Fox and Horner's lawyers wouldn't obtain the nescessary licensing if needed?

John

Since he hasn't been challenged (so far), there's no way of knowing.

Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: gsmonks] #1544558
10/27/10 08:40 AM
10/27/10 08:40 AM
PA
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Johnny-Boy  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
Originally Posted by gsmonks

John

Since he hasn't been challenged (so far), there's no way of knowing.

I did find Schumann's music (including his 3rd Symphony) on several public domain lists.

As long as a composer works from a published copy with a copyright date old enough to qualify for public domain status (the original is), there would be no legal issues in making new arrangements.

However there may be newer arrangements still under copyright.

Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: Nikolas] #1544631
10/27/10 10:45 AM
10/27/10 10:45 AM
PA
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Johnny-Boy  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
We need to remember that when Red Heat was released, Prokofiev's music was not yet in public domain! wink Not even in the US I believe! So it's not just a matter of ripping of material. Especially in the mentioned case, it's clear as crystal that he copy pasted the score and changed a little bit the orchestration!

Not necessarily Nikolas. For all we know, Horner has a mechanical license to use Prokofiev's music in this manner.

John smile
This is what I can't prove: When I first saw the film, I already knew of Prokofiev's cantata (had found a Melodvia record for sale and loving Prokofiev, I bought the obscure work). There was NO mention of Prokofiev's name in the first release of the film. Now, of course, DVDs and youtube vids have the reference, but back then there wasn't any!

And of course this is direct copying not "just" plagiarism: http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/red_heat.html

For the purpose of the discussion with gmonks: I largely agree. If you want to be clear you are original, use new techniques!

On the subject of unintentional copyright infrigment, here's a few links to enjoy my own fault:
"My" work: www.nikolas-sideris.com/ads/dragon_orchestral_epic.mp3
and here's John Powells score for Shrek 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzStDHlZDyM (around 1:03).

I had absolutely no idea I was directly copying the theme, and rather closely the orchestration, but needless to say I pulled out of the contect (and I was winning...), and keep using the track to examplify what could've happened to anyone, without much effort...

Yes, I can see this unintentionally happening Nikolas. BTW, your orchestrated version sounds great. You can orchestrate any of my tracks anytime. laugh

Best, John smile

Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: gsmonks] #1544707
10/27/10 12:15 PM
10/27/10 12:15 PM
Jared Hoeft Offline
Jared Hoeft  Offline

I would say that he owes royalties on the music he appropriated. Otherwise, what's to stop people from using classical music as is and stamping their own name on it?

I agree with you here. There has to be rules in place to protect this type of stuff. But I still think that relaxing a bit about intellectual property would do everybody some good. Of course, in an ideal world, nobody would copy music "on purpose." But of course intentional plagiarism does happen...

Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: Jared Hoeft] #1544743
10/27/10 01:10 PM
10/27/10 01:10 PM
PA
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Johnny-Boy  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
Originally Posted by Jared Hoeft
I would say that he owes royalties on the music he appropriated. Otherwise, what's to stop people from using classical music as is and stamping their own name on it?

I agree with you here. There has to be rules in place to protect this type of stuff. But I still think that relaxing a bit about intellectual property would do everybody some good. Of course, in an ideal world, nobody would copy music "on purpose." But of course intentional plagiarism does happen...

There are laws regarding copyrights Jared. Since Jan, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years, after which the original becomes Public Domain. Prior to 1978, the protection of copyright was much shorter, though there was an option for renewal.

Schumann's music definitely fits into Public Domain. However, when applying for a copyright with a new arrangement of a public domain work, the author of the arrangement should be listed as an "arranger", and the original composer (if known) should be listed.

Also, when registering such work with a PRO (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC), the author of the arrangement should be listed as an "arranger", and the original composer (if known) as the writer.

In such a case, the arranger would be entitled to a 100% share of writer's royalties (also 100% share of publisher's royalties if he/she owns the publishing), while the public domain author would be listed at 0% share. Since Shumann's now residing in the Heavens, I don't think he'll mind.

John smile

Re: James Horner's plagiarism [Re: gsmonks] #1545362
10/28/10 11:26 AM
10/28/10 11:26 AM
PA
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Johnny-Boy  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
I just checked out Horner's tracks listed with ASCAP (public records): 1,175 track listings (and some of them with multiple cues). I'd love to receive one of his royalty checks. laugh

John smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Metronome usage
by Jitin. 08/21/19 10:36 PM
How to play this song
by eisnnlius. 08/21/19 09:03 PM
Sonex Pianos - free Steinway & Bosendorfer for Kontakt
by newer player. 08/21/19 08:25 PM
How to get best deal on Yamaha N3X?
by Teeter. 08/21/19 06:30 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,664
Posts2,861,322
Members94,211
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission